1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Totto Cartridge Filters

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Was shocked that when i saw the price at GC, its more expensive than a eheim classic filter! I initially thought its just a japan made hang over filter LOL.

What's the pros and cons of their filters???

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Totto Cartridge Filters

Haha, you wont be the first nor the last to be shocked. It is a very reliable filter for those who do not like the hassle of changing and cleaning pipes and opening smelly canister filters.

I cannot comment since I do no own one but while the price is pretty much on the high side, it is a branded hanging filter.
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Oh yes, forgot to mention. There are many sections for you to fill in the media. Also they are compartmentalised, meaning that you can easily replace any part you need with regards to the media without having to cause much disturbance, unlike canister filters. However, the part are also pretty expensive.
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I own the filter, I like it. It is good. The design of the flow makes sure that the waste are break down properly and I find the design is more efficient than normal convention filter. Again. Due to the design, cleaning of the filter pipe might be an issue. The media in the totto can be change to suit your need. For info, I only do cleaning of the totto filter like once every 3-4 months

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Good to know! Thanks guys!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'm also currently using one, got them before CNY sale at GC at a discount (can't remember how much). Same thoughts as Bro Seudzar. My filter pipe where the brush can't reach now black colour already. Otherwise, very pleased with it.

The pipe can be pushed backwards by the way for which I attach a hose from the outlet to my chiller and then to a lily pipe, so in that sense can customize to a certain extend which I'm pleasantly surprised.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by HBK16 View Post
    I'm also currently using one, got them before CNY sale at GC at a discount (can't remember how much). Same thoughts as Bro Seudzar. My filter pipe where the brush can't reach now black colour already. Otherwise, very pleased with it.

The pipe can be pushed backwards by the way for which I attach a hose from the outlet to my chiller and then to a lily pipe, so in that sense can customize to a certain extend which I'm pleasantly surprised.
    Oh! Can you share (with photos if possible) on how to route the outflow into the Chiller and back into the tank?
    from 14L to 8L tank.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I owned a 2nd hand set.

It's a great product and zero noise.

I decided to go for this because:

1. Replace hang on filter because it has little filter media. It also disturb the substrate and caused a hole.

2. Replace internal filter because the inlet is not shrimplet friendly and can't add any pre filter to block it. The suction cup is also a problem. Perhaps it's my tank problem. Tried a couple of filter and it failed to stick well.

3. Did not consider other conventional canister filter because i am avoiding additional floor space to place the filter and reduce piping around the tank.

I am also looking for a filter with stronger outflow like a spray bar effect.

It is for a small tank (14 litre).

This filter fits all my requirement except the price. I almost went for a new set. Coincidentally seudzar was selling one of his set and i grab it at a reduced price.

So far i am very satisfied with its function.

I have not done any maintenance yet though.
    from 14L to 8L tank.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by 14litre View Post
    Oh! Can you share (with photos if possible) on how to route the outflow into the Chiller and back into the tank?
    Sure,

If you're hanging the filter like me, there's a groove on the top of the cover of the filter preventing the inlet and outlet from sliding out sideways up to a certain angle. If you were to push it back gently, the outlet pipe should be able to move over that groove and you'll be able to position the outlet behind the tank. I then removed the stock outflow attachment and replaced it instead with a 12/16 hose to an Eheim quick release connector for maintenance purposes.

There's an inline CO2 diffuser (right below the connector but not in pic) from which it goes to chiller and then back into the tank via a lily pipe

I must admit that I was nervous about leakage when I pushed back the pipe, but so far close to 2 months no issues.

Hope the explanation above clarifies and sorry if I use wrong terminology for some of the parts. Correct my usage if I'm wrong

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

when i purchase my fish tank and cabinet at GC. I saw this Totto, i also shocked to know that the price is almost on par with ehiem canister. Hmm, for bigger tank use hang on filter really look weird.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sure,

If you're hanging the filter like me, there's a groove on the top of the cover of the filter preventing the inlet and outlet from sliding out sideways up to a certain angle. If you were to push it back gently, the outlet pipe should be able to move over that groove and you'll be able to position the outlet behind the tank. I then removed the stock outflow attachment and replaced it instead with a 12/16 hose to an Eheim quick release connector for maintenance purposes.

There's an inline CO2 diffuser (right below the connector but not in pic) from which it goes to chiller and then back into the tank via a lily pipe

I must admit that I was nervous about leakage when I pushed back the pipe, but so far close to 2 months no issues.

Hope the explanation above clarifies and sorry if I use wrong terminology for some of the parts. Correct my usage if I'm wrong
    Oh, that's brilliant. I read before somewhere that the disadvantage of this toto filter is the inability to attach to a Chiller and you have made it happened.

Thanks for sharing especially with the pictures. Cheers.
    from 14L to 8L tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    when i purchase my fish tank and cabinet at GC. I saw this Totto, i also shocked to know that the price is almost on par with ehiem canister. Hmm, for bigger tank use hang on filter really look weird.
    It's a good idea to have two large size hang-on filters. I like to do that because the side of the fish tank can hold two of the biggest hang-on filters. Hang-on filters are my top favourites because I like to have the water surface constantly agitated (ie. dancing), resulting in good oxygenation. To achieve that, the tank water surface must be same level as the hang-on filter's water spout.

Canister filters are enclosed, so there's not much oxygenation. My top priority is oxygenation so all my BB and fish will be happy and healthy. But if the spray bar is put near the surface, it will also provide good surface agitation. Good technique and personal touch is very important in happy fish-keeping.
    Last edited by tetrakid; 18th May 2015 at 09:03.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Does the bacteria that reside in the filter media require oxygen or are they able to survive without oxygen?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The first few portion of the filter require oxygen, the last cartridge hold another type of bacteria that do not required oxygen. As water passes the cartridge, the bacteria will draws all oxygen until the last portion the bacteria there do not require oxygen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Does the bacteria that reside in the filter media require oxygen or are they able to survive without oxygen?
    This cartridge filter's construction is complex thus it is expensive. To do a simple job like biological filtering, there's no need to make things complicated. I believe in making things as simple as possible to get the same or better results. With a bit of ingenuity, there's no reason why a simpler setup cannot do a good job. Complicated filters also make maintenance work a chore.

As for the bacteria, the better the oxygen supply, the better they will thrive and propagate. As more bacteria thrives, the better the waste conversion will be. To ensure more oxygen get to the bacteria inside the filter, the water of the tank must first be well-oxygenated, otherwise if oxygen-deprived water flows into the filter, the bacteria will die.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    No choice bro, I have space constraints, hence this setup. But space constraints aside, given my limited time, I like the fact that very minimal maintenance is required (I only rinse the external pre-filter sponge once a week, else monthly for whole filter unit)

Have spoken to Ronnie regarding the brownish substance which can't be reached in the pipe. This weekend I going to try bleach all that gunk out.
    Last edited by ZIr; 19th May 2015 at 10:13.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

No choice bro, I have space constraints, hence this setup. But space constraints aside, given my limited time, I like the fact that very minimal maintenance is required (I only rinse the external pre-filter sponge once a week, else monthly for whole filter unit)

Have spoken to Ronnie regarding the brownish substance which can't be reached in the pipe. This weekend I going to try bleach all that gunk out.
    Ya, a pre-filter is very useful to minimize maintenance. I always have a pre-filter fitted. But gunk in the pipes are no problem, as they are also have good resident bacteria on it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    This cartridge filter's construction is complex thus it is expensive. To do a simple job like biological filtering, there's no need to make things complicated. I believe in making things as simple as possible to get the same or better results. With a bit of ingenuity, there's no reason why a simpler setup cannot do a good job. Complicated filters also make maintenance work a chore.

As for the bacteria, the better the oxygen supply, the better they will thrive and propagate. As more bacteria thrives, the better the waste conversion will be. To ensure more oxygen get to the bacteria inside the filter, the water of the tank must first be well-oxygenated, otherwise if oxygen-deprived water flows into the filter, the bacteria will die.
    there are anaerobic bacteria and aerobic bacteria. anaerobic bacteria consume nitrate. in anycase, I removed the default media and replaced it with biohome + peat.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/v...p?f=6&t=339081