Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Unknown Shrimp Death & Stuff

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just recently, after weeks from introducing shrimps back into my planted tank, I had 2 shrimps that suddenly died when they were quite active the previous day.

Anyone know what could cause a sudden death ?

Just for information, what type of fish do people put in with shrimps?
    Would those fish devour shrimplets?

thanks in advance !!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Unknown Shrimp Death & Stuff

Tetras and guppies

if if got place to hide and fishes are fed sufficiently usually these won't disturb

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm trying to condition my tetras to my shrimps. So far, I've lost 4 commando shrimps, down to 2 survivors. Haha

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

That is tough... Some of my shrimps just birthed. Some don't make it..... There's some shrimps that are as active as they could be but still there's some death around. No idea what happened.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just 2 shrimps dying could be due to old age, injury or illness... it may not indicate any problems with the tank, since the other shrimps are active and okay.

Its usually only if you see shrimps dying in large numbers or dying every day, then have to check the tank parameters to look for possible issues.

One thing you could check is observe the dead shrimps, if they have a large white crack on the backs of their shells, then it may indicate molting problems. Either the tank water GH could too high or too low, so you'll have to test and see.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Water hardness affect shrimps alot?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Emperios View Post
    Water hardness affect shrimps alot?
    Its possible, if the hardness is too low, then there aren't enough essential minerals so they can't develop new shells properly... or if hardness is too high, then there may be too much minerals and the shells become too hard, so they can't escape from the old shell during molting.

If you spot those issues, just check the GH levels and either reduce or increase it accordingly.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Can try mosquito rasbora or rasbora merah. It's a small fish, 1.5-2cm. Some of the shrimps will afraid to go near the rasbora but after a while the shrimp will get use to it. I never see my rasbora disturb my shrimp but I think it ate 1 of my 1-2 day old shrimplet, dunno got see wrongly or not. Most of the time my rasbora chasing and feeding on cyclops, seldom eat dry food.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Can anyone help me to identify this two fish ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

First photo is Indostomus paradoxus (aka armoured sickleback).

Second photo is Nannostomus unifasciatus (aka one-lined pencil fish).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    First photo is Indostomus paradoxus (aka armoured sickleback).

Second photo is Nannostomus unifasciatus (aka one-lined pencil fish).
    That is cool. I kept some lampeye tetra & ember tetra along with them in my planted tank. I took out some shrimplets already but afraid there's still some inside and they will feed on them haha

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

That is cool. I kept some lampeye tetra & ember tetra along with them in my planted tank. I took out some shrimplets already but afraid there's still some inside and they will feed on them haha
    The newborn shrimplets remaining in their tank can be considered free live food for those fishes... they need to eat too.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I used ADA bacter ball. It looks like it helps to develop microorganism platform. I have tiny little white white stuff keep swimming around & little white worms . I guess those can help to distract them from my shrimplets . Hahaha

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I used ADA bacter ball. It looks like it helps to develop microorganism platform. I have tiny little white white stuff keep swimming around & little white worms . I guess those can help to distract them from my shrimplets . Hahaha
    Thats good, those tiny critters and worms will help to sustain the diet of the indostomus paradoxus fishes... in all these years i've kept them, i never seen them eat commercial food at all, they seem to only specialize in eating micro-fauna in the tanks.

I do occasionally add daphnia moina and seed shrimps into their tanks to supplement their diet too, can see them eagerly snapping up those little critters.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Can i ask, Those LFS sell those daphnia & worms & brine shrimps. How do you process it before putting them into ur tank to feed? How long can they be kept and how ? =D

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Can i ask, Those LFS sell those daphnia & worms & brine shrimps. How do you process it before putting them into ur tank to feed? How long can they be kept and how ? =D
    For daphnia moina and brine shrimp, just pour them into a brine shrimp net (the ones with super fine netting/mesh) and discard the drained water, then feed a portion of them to your fishes.

Daphnia moina will stay alive in your tank until they are eaten so its okay to feed more, while brine shrimp usually only last a short while in freshwater tanks (they live in saltwater conditions) so try not to overfeed.

Any remaining leftover moina you can keep in a container or tank of aquarium water, how long they can last will depend on the holding container/tank size and how much food they can feed on to grow and reproduce (i feed my moina cultures on a combination of yeast, spirulina and green water).

Brine shrimp will need saltwater to live in so they need more specific water parameters to keep. Do note that as brine shrimp grow older and larger their nutrition value decreases.

The brine shrimps i've seen sold in pre-packed bags at most LFS seem to be quite large though, so they may not be suitable for smaller fishes, it'll be better to hatch your own from brine shrimp eggs so that you get the more nutritious and much smaller baby brine shrimps suitable for small fishes.

As for tubifex, you need to rinse them many times before feeding to clear away the stinky dirty water and waste, and even if they are parasite-free, do be careful when feeding as they can still cause intestinal infections in less hardy fishes (especially if the worms are dead or dying).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am hatching brine shrimp eggs now. Haha
    It looks like daphnia is better for breeding and sustaining. How do i breed them and will they breed in my planted tank by themselves? Please guide me ! =D

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I am hatching brine shrimp eggs now. Haha
    It looks like daphnia is better for breeding and sustaining. How do i breed them and will they breed in my planted tank by themselves? Please guide me ! =D
    Well, it does require some effort to maintain a daphnia moina culture... there are many methods that range from keeping them in 2 litre bottles indoors with daily full water changes, to larger 200 liter tubs outdoors filled with decomposing matter and ample sunlight to generate the bacteria and green water food.

The method i use is just a 10 liter tank (those cheap plastic ones), with a cycled sponge filter (tuned to slow air flow), good cover of floating plants to soak up excess nutrients with ample light, and a colony of moina in it that are fed small amounts of yeast/spirulina mix or green water (if available) every 1-2 days or so. Maintenance is 50% weekly water change and general tank cleaning every few weeks. It's basically like running a small aquarium, just without any fishes. This setup doesn't yield a lot of moina, but i can at least harvest enough moina to supplement my tanks with some live food every few days, it's more of a snack time for the fishes.

If you put them in any tank with small fishes, the majority of moina will get eaten up within the first few minutes of introduction... those that do somehow manage to avoid initial detection will just continue living in there for a while longer until they are hunted and eaten. So they don't really hang around long enough to breed in a tank with small fishes. They have to be bred in a separate tank.

Note that if your tank is using strong filtration, they will also end up getting sucked into the filter too, so do remember to switch off the filter while feeding them to your fishes.

A good alternative to breeding daphnia is to add them to shrimp-only tanks that use sponge filters with gentle air flow, there are no predators and no strong filters, so they could live and breed in those type of tanks (just need to ensure that there is enough suspended food for them to feed on).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wow. That is a lot to take in and looks like it's a tough job too.
    What is green water meaning ?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wow. That is a lot to take in and looks like it's a tough job too.
    Yeah, there is still effort required to maintain and grow aquatic live foods... they are living things just like fishes and shrimps too, so require similar care.

What is green water meaning ?
    Green water is water heavily populated by suspended algae, it comes about with excess light + excess nutrients... which creates water that look like green pea soup.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast