Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using water direct from the tap during PWC. What do you think?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Using water direct from the tap during PWC. What do you think?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys
    I have seen some YouTube videos on water changes, where one refills the tank with water DIRECT from the tap and then dosing the necessary Seachem Prime ( water conditioner) into the tank as well.

Is this possible when using Singapore water and what are the pros and cons to such a procedure.

Here I'm asking specifically for a planted tank with the usual population of Tetras, RCS and Amano shrimps and a water change of 50%. I do have a chiller attached to the tank.

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers :-)

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Using water direct from the tap during PWC. What do you think?

No problem at all if the Anti chlorine, chloramine and ammonia is efficient. For this reason, many are using Seachem Prime and API . Both US brands I believe. Amano shrimps are quite hardy. The same cannot be said about tiger shrimps, Malayan shrimps and crystal red shrimps are some examples. They are sensitive even to Trace Elements

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you are doing water changes direct from tap using a hose, then just dose Seachem Prime into the tank for the full tank volume while you are refilling it (it uses more Prime solution, but its more convenient for larger tanks)... as they mix, the Prime will convert and neutralize the chlorine/chloramine and heavy metals in the newly added water within a few seconds.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by barmby View Post
    No problem at all if the Anti chlorine, chloramine and ammonia is efficient. For this reason, many are using Seachem Prime and API . Both US brands I believe. Amano shrimps are quite hardy. The same cannot be said about tiger shrimps, Malayan shrimps and crystal red shrimps are some examples. They are sensitive even to Trace Elements
    Thanks for for the reply. Appreciate it. This will make my water changes less eventful.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    If you are doing water changes direct from tap using a hose, then just dose Seachem Prime into the tank for the full tank volume while you are refilling it (it uses more Prime solution, but its more convenient for larger tanks)... as they mix, the Prime will convert and neutralize the chlorine/chloramine and heavy metals in the newly added water within a few seconds.
    And there will be no effect on the beneficial bacteria in the tank because Prime takes care of the chlorine in the water?

How about the average water temp from tap water? Will it stress the fish / shrimps which are in a chilled tank at 25.5C ?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Filet-O-Fish View Post
    And there will be no effect on the beneficial bacteria in the tank because Prime takes care of the chlorine in the water?
    Any negative effects would be minimal as Prime will do its job as the tank is being refilled. Majority of the beneficial bacteria reside in the filter anyways, which wouldn't be in contact with the newly introduced water until the tank is filled up.

How about the average water temp from tap water? Will it stress the fish / shrimps which are in a chilled tank at 25.5C ?
    For that situation, you'll have to measure the tap water temperature, if its a few degrees difference, and your fishes or shrimps are the sensitive types... then probably just have to trickle the tap water in slowly during the refill process, so that the change in overall water temperature is more gradual.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Any negative effects would be minimal as Prime will do its job as the tank is being refilled. Majority of the beneficial bacteria reside in the filter anyways, which wouldn't be in contact with the newly introduced water until the tank is filled up.

For that situation, you'll have to measure the tap water temperature, if its a few degrees difference, and your fishes or shrimps are the sensitive types... then probably just have to trickle the tap water in slowly during the refill process, so that the change in overall water temperature is more gradual.
    Fantastic reply. Thanks UA.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

This morning, I took a temp reading of my tap water. It was 32c (maybe due to recent hot weather). My chiller is set at 25.5c, so that a difference of 6.5 c. Is this OK for Tetra fish and normal shrimps.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

This morning, I took a temp reading of my tap water. It was 32c (maybe due to recent hot weather). My chiller is set at 25.5c, so that a difference of 6.5 c. Is this OK for Tetra fish and normal shrimps.
    my tank will shoot up above 32C these few days too, hot weather. cardinal tetra & RCS all still fine but might be pushing them to the limits? anyway going to put up my fans to play safe.

what chiller you using? how come it is not cooling down your tank temperature?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Its a large difference... in this case, just trickle the new warmer tap water into the tank over an extended period of time (ie. 20-30mins). The more volume of water bring changed, the longer the refill time. Its mainly to ensure that the overall temperature change is slow and gradual.

Fishes are usually okay with such temperature changes, its the shrimps that tend to have difficulty adjusting to rapid temperature swings.

An alternative is to wait until night time to do the water change, usually by then the tap water would have settled down to cooler levels.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    my tank will shoot up above 32C these few days too, hot weather. cardinal tetra & RCS all still fine but might be pushing them to the limits? anyway going to put up my fans to play safe.

what chiller you using? how come it is not cooling down your tank temperature?
    Hi
    My chiller is Teco brand. Its working fine now but due to the recent warm weather, it's kicking in every 2 hours and take about 1 hour to cool the water to 25.5
    Its about 12 months old now.
    Or maybe I need to top-up gas?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

An alternative is to wait until night time to do the water change, usually by then the tap water would have settled down to cooler levels.
    Sometimes it's not the case. The water is sometimes warm to the touch.
    Maybe I'll take one more temp reading this evening.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sometimes it's not the case. The water is sometimes warm to the touch.
    Maybe I'll take one more temp reading this evening.
    I guess if the building water tanks and pipes are exposed to direct sun and they still retain heat until evening time... then probably have to wait until much later into the night for the tap water to cool down. Have to do water changes when everyone is asleep.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My tap water these days can be as warm as when running a water heater in medium setting.... serious

Thus, my water changes are timed for morning changes only to avoid a huge temperature delta. My mornings are around 9AM where the tap water is still cool from the overnight setting.

The water I drain out, typically around 30% is replaced straight from the tap without any additional liquids added. I get away with that because I do not keep any sensitive life stock. Tetras, Livebearers, SAE, Otto and Cherry/Fire Red Shrimps are my inhabitants. Been doing this for decades....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stressed View Post
    My tap water these days can be as warm as when running a water heater in medium setting.... serious

Thus, my water changes are timed for morning changes only to avoid a huge temperature delta. My mornings are around 9AM where the tap water is still cool from the overnight setting.

The water I drain out, typically around 30% is replaced straight from the tap without any additional liquids added. I get away with that because I do not keep any sensitive life stock. Tetras, Livebearers, SAE, Otto and Cherry/Fire Red Shrimps are my inhabitants. Been doing this for decades....
    And do you run a chiller?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

No I do not run any chillers. I do use AIRCON regularly which indirectly helps to cool the tank. The tank is in the living room, just in case you are wondering. 2.5ftx2ftx2ft size

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi UA,
    sorry to come in out of nowhere.. this method you mentioned, is it applicable to HOF or canister type? thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Best is to use big pail. Condition it first then slowly pour into fish tank. Is really seachem prime really the best product?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jkcs View Post
    Hi UA,
    sorry to come in out of nowhere.. this method you mentioned, is it applicable to HOF or canister type? thanks
    The method can work with both hang-on filters and canister filters too, since the media chambers of both types of filtration are positioned outside of the tank and usually switched off during water changes anyways.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    Best is to use big pail. Condition it first then slowly pour into fish tank. Is really seachem prime really the best product?
    There are many other brands of dechlorinator products that can also be used... just that Seachem Prime is a tried and tested product, so if got any issues its easy to refer to other user experiences and get solutions.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast