Country
    Singapore

Filter and CO2 recommendations

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

1st of all, I need help getting new filter for a 35x21x23(cm) tank. I was thinking of getting a Totto(type ss), Tom Rapids Mini Canister Filter or a Shiruba XB301. Which would be a better choice or is there better option?

I also saw an Arista CO2(1L) package that come in a box with everything and has a solenoid valve. Anyone has this set? Any comment on it?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Filter and CO2 recommendations

All the 3 filters you mentioned are suitable for the tank... Totto is one of the best hang-on filters that replicates the efficiency of a sump filtration with directional output, though its quite an expensive product (3-4x more than the mini canister filters).

The Tom Rapids Mini Canister filter and Shiruba XB-301 are similar in design, but the Shiruba is better in that it uses layers of media baskets (rather than the basic 2 compartment design on the Tom Rapids), and the Shiruba comes with hoses that look nicer (not the weird ribbed ones on the Tom Rapids).

The benefit of canister filters is you can place it beside or below the tank (can hide it away out of view), and also use different lily pipe inflow and outflows with it, so they allow for more levels of customization. If the flow is too strong for the tank, just install a single tap on the outflow hose to control the flow-rate.

As for the ISTA Co2 (1L) package, is it this version? http://www.istaproducts.com/product/...-professional/

It should work, just that with a 1 liter tank, you will need to refill it more often than a 2 liter or larger tank.

You can compare it with other Co2 system packages like the ANS 2L Professional Co2 system (compare and see which is more worth it): http://www.eastoceansg.com/ans-2l-pr...em-p-1006.html
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 11th Jul 2015 at 20:06.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes that is the set I saw. I was also looking at the ANS system you mentioned above and know I can save more in long term since it cost the same to refill the 1L and 2L. But because I dont have a proper cabinet to hide the cylinder and it have to be at the back or side of the tank, so the cylinder must also look nice

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fai View Post
    Yes that is the set I saw. I was also looking at the ANS system you mentioned above and know I can save more in long term since it cost the same to refill the 1L and 2L. But because I dont have a proper cabinet to hide the cylinder and it have to be at the back or side of the tank, so the cylinder must also look nice
    I see... yeah, that's a space constraint that would warrant a smaller Co2 tank.

Btw, if you have certain designs of diffusers that you prefer, maybe can also consider putting together your own setup with a 1L tank and the various parts bought separately... then you can mix and match the parts to customise your own setup.

Just for cost reference, you can check the parts lists at the East Ocean website and see if it's worth putting together your own setup: http://www.eastoceansg.com/co2-syste...tml?view_all=1

Click on the links at the top of the lists to access the other parts list like diffuser, bubble counter, tubing, check-valves, solenoid regulator etc.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

http://www.tzong-yang.com.tw/en/prod...hp?item_id=470
    http://www.poweraquarium.com/productf-1b.html

ISTA and Shiruba actually the same?? XD I got ISTA filter ytd as I can't find Tom rapids or xb301 or eden. I saw the ISTA wattage(5.6watt) is lower than the XB303, 6.8watt or something. But the website stated other wise. @_@ Means those label are actually not accurate at all?

My apology for hijacking.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Bern C View Post
    http://www.tzong-yang.com.tw/en/prod...hp?item_id=470
    http://www.poweraquarium.com/productf-1b.html

ISTA and Shiruba actually the same?? XD I got ISTA filter ytd as I can't find Tom rapids or xb301 or eden. I saw the ISTA wattage(5.6watt) is lower than the XB303, 6.8watt or something. But the website stated other wise. @_@ Means those label are actually not accurate at all?

My apology for hijacking.
    Yeah, they are all similar model design, just under different brand names... their individual wattage specs may differ slightly (the motors used are probably different), but they generally work the same.

Even the Dennerle Scaper Flow also uses the same filter design too.

I have used both the ISTA 360 and Shiruba XB-303 canister filters before and both work fine.

Bte, typo on my above post comparing the Tom Rapids and Shiruba, i was referring to the Shiruba XB-303 (not 301), that is the one that has media baskets.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

So is the xb-303 also suitable for the tank dimension? Btw I think i will mix and match the CO2 set. With a little more I can get nicer glassware instead of the plastic.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fai View Post
    So is the xb-303 also suitable for the tank dimension? Btw I think i will mix and match the CO2 set. With a little more I can get nicer glassware instead of the plastic.
    The Shiruba XB-303 will be suitable for your 35cm tank dimensions, though depending on the outflow lily pipe design/shape, if you find the overall flow too strong, it'll be a good idea to install a single or double tap on the outflow hose to control and reduce the flow rate.

Yeah, its better to mix and match your own Co2 system if possible, can put together the exact setup you want.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Yeah, they are all similar model design, just under different brand names... their individual wattage specs may differ slightly (the motors used are probably different), but they generally work the same.

Even the Dennerle Scaper Flow also uses the same filter design too.

I have used both the ISTA 360 and Shiruba XB-303 canister filters before and both work fine.

Bte, typo on my above post comparing the Tom Rapids and Shiruba, i was referring to the Shiruba XB-303 (not 301), that is the one that has media baskets.
    OIC... yeah... also AZOO has a filter similar with Tom Rapids. XD They also come at different price too. =X I bought ISTA 1st is due to lower wattage and 2ndly it's cheaper. So far so good.. the flow rate is just nice for my shrimp 45cm tank, strong but not too strong so don't have to do adjustment to the flow rate. But I afraid when it get old, so do the flow rate.