Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Chiller or Light

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have in mind an upgrade for my tank but not sure which one to go with.

Between a chiller (I have none) or a new set of light?

Tank is currently running fine without the upgrade

Current lights are 2 x Z LED

Tank temp ~ 29-30

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Chiller or Light

Whats the focus of your tank? Plants or shrimps?

If plants then can look at installing Co2 injection system (if you don't have it yet) and perhaps upgrade the lights if required and dose more fertilizers.

If shrimps then go for chiller, then can keep the more sensitive shrimp species and grades which need cooler water to thrive and breed.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Mine is a fully planted, equipped to the teeth . I would call it a med light - high tech tank. Pressurized CO2, EI ferts etc....

So my question is whether a chiller is needed for the stability of temperature.

Or convert to a high light tank. Ie get a Maxspect razor 160w

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If nothing broken, don't touch it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I see, in this case, if you want to boost plant growth even faster, then can look at upgraded the lights and then also increase the Co2 injection and fertilizer dosing to match the higher light intensity. Have to see if you actually need it though, it'll be a waste if you were to buy a MaxSpect and then end up finding that its too much and you have to reduce the light intensity to the lowest settings... that'll be sort of like defeating the purpose of upgrading the light.

Chiller is a nice equipment to add, just have to factor in that its an additional inline equipment that will tend to slow down your overall filter flow rate (unless you use a separate powerhead to power it), there will be an increase in your electricity bill and warm air will vent into the room so you need to allow for good ventilation... otherwise a cooler tank water temperature is always nice if you have the budget and space to support it.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks UA. I'm not too concerned about the flow since I can use back my 2260 for all those inlines.

Now come a noob question about chiller.
    Is true that the bigger the better? Ie 1/5 vs 1/10?

I see some selling of the exact same price (used item) but different capacity. Should I always go for the bigger?

What are the things to watch out for when buying a chiller?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Hip View Post
    Thanks UA. I'm not too concerned about the flow since I can use back my 2260 for all those inlines.

Now come a noob question about chiller.
    Is true that the bigger the better? Ie 1/5 vs 1/10?

I see some selling of the exact same price (used item) but different capacity. Should I always go for the bigger?

What are the things to watch out for when buying a chiller?
    What is your tank size?

Getting a chiller 1model larger, a step up, than you require is better as our country has some hot months, the larger chiller would not be bogged down by the extra heat load and would still operate and accomodate some extra heat load. Getting a chiller just nice to operate with your tank may not accomodate the extra heat load and may struggle to just keep the operating temperature that you set it to.

Another recommendation is to modify the chiller temperature probe to an external one. Reason being, the external temperature probe will take the actual reading of the tank water rather than the water container in the chiller itself. Using the stock chiller temperature probe, you will encounter the dreaded stop start stop problem when you paired it with the wrong pump. With the modification, this problem disappear. Longer off time and shorter operation times are the norm.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, getting a larger chiller is always better (especially if you have a larger tank setup)... it will chill more water volume faster, hence the "kick in" intervals will be shorter so the overall amount of electricity used will be less too. The main thing with larger chillers is the higher initial equipment cost and the amount of space it takes up, but if you have the budget and space, then go for larger chillers.

When buying a chiller, look at the reviews on the brand/models to check reliability and ease of repair. If its a 2nd hand unit, check to make sure its in good working condition before purchase.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Mine is a 3ft planted. But can always move to 4ft if need to so I guess I will find a chiller for 4ft.

What size would it be sufficient? I meant 1 size up already factored in. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If your tank is 3ft, then a 1/5 HP chiller would be ideal.
    www.urbanaquaria.com