Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Light, Substrate and Tank volume

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, after reading from the forum, I still have a few newbie questions to ask.

1. Is it advisable to put a planted tank near the window facing the west sun. Just so I don't need to buy a light.
    2. How much substrate should I use, is there a minimum depth to it? My thought is it depends on the plant types.
    3. What is the maximum volume to be classified as a Nano tank? I would like to have some low tech plants and not sure should I get a Nano or normal tank.
    4. Regarding water change is once a week the general recommendation or a top up will do?

Much thanks!
    Last edited by swee17hp; 24th Jul 2015 at 09:30. Reason: More question

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Light, Substrate and Tank volume

Quote Originally Posted by swee17hp View Post
    Is it advisable to put a planted tank near the window facing the west sun. Just so I don't need to buy a light.
    While you could use sunlight to grow aquarium plants, the growth of the plants will be much less predictable due to the variations in sunlight (ie. cloudy or rainy days, no or very little light), so the plants will not grow well during those times. On the other-hand, there can be too much light if the days are very sunny, so algae starts to establish and take over. All these fluctuations create an unstable system which is more difficult to control. In addition, placing a tank near the window with exposure to sunlight also increases the tank water temperature too, sometimes it can get surprisingly high during hot days.

So unless you are willing to handle those environmental variations and potential issues, its still better to just use a proper aquarium light and put it on a plug timer to get a regular consistent light schedule, the plants will grow much better and it'll be easier to control algae.

How much substrate should I use, is there a minimum depth to it? My thought is it depends on the plant types.
    The amount of substrate would depend on the plants you plan to use in the tank. If you are adding plants which don't need to be rooted into substrate (ie. those that are tied to objects), then a very thin layer of substrate is only needed for aesthetics. If you plan to add rooted plants, then a deeper substrate would need to be used, especially if you add heavy root feeders like cryptocorynes or echinodorus (those typically grow huge root systems).

Do note that if you want to keep rooted plants, its best to use good quality active aquasoil that contains ample nutrients to support plant growth (ie. ADA Amazonia aquasoil).

What is the maximum volume to be classified as a Nano tank? I would like to have some low tech plants and not sure should I get a Nano or normal tank.
    Tanks size classification tends to differ between aquarists in different countries... locally most of us would consider 1ft - 1.5ft tanks (10-30 liters) as nano tanks, while 2ft tanks are usually considered normal tanks, and 3ft tanks and above as large tanks.

But in other countries like the USA and Europe, 3ft tanks are usually considered normal tanks (by default thats seen as an ideal "starter" tank)... anything smaller (ie even 2ft tank) are often labelled as nano tanks. I guess aquarists in most other countries tend to live in larger homes... unlike the majority of us singaporeans who have to contend with "compact" living spaces.

Either way, its always best to get the largest tank size you can afford and which can fit in your intended space. Larger tank volumes can maintain more stable parameters for a longer period of time with much less fluctuations compared to smaller tank volumes.

Regarding water change is once a week the general recommendation or a top up will do?
    Weekly water changes are recommended for most tanks... water changes help to remove and reduce any toxic buildups in parameters. As you gain more experience about aquarium management, you can then gradually adjust the water change frequency and amount depending on the tank's condition.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks UA for your input, now I have a better understanding with all these variables.

Regarding the soil, I bought ANS planta soil and it is mixed with some tiny twigs and random debris. Next time I will get ADA.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, ADA Amazonia aquasoil also contains some bits of twigs too... they are collected from natural sources, so organic debris do sometimes get mixed in.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Riding on to this topic about tanks facing sunlight. in my case, my tank is located in an area of my living room where it is facing indirect sunlight, neither east or west, but south instead. I dont know how to describe the brightness but I can comfortably read magazines or newspaper at that spot. Will photosynthesis take place at this brightness level? My aquarium lights come up around 2.30pm and off at 10pm.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by destress View Post
    Riding on to this topic about tanks facing sunlight. in my case, my tank is located in an area of my living room where it is facing indirect sunlight, neither east or west, but south instead. I dont know how to describe the brightness but I can comfortably read magazines or newspaper at that spot. Will photosynthesis take place at this brightness level? My aquarium lights come up around 2.30pm and off at 10pm.
    Indirect light is usually shaded light... so the intensity is considered relatively low. If you rely only on the indirect sunlight, hardy slow growing plants like anubias or java ferns might still photosynthesize and grow in those low light levels (or at least sustain existing leaves), though faster growing stem plants may have issues and melt faster than they grow. I guess you just have to try and see.

But if you have aquarium lights scheduled, the sunlight will just add to the overall light intensity so plants on the side that gets abit more light will tend to grow abit faster.... quite often algae also grow faster on that side too.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Indirect light is usually shaded light... so the intensity is considered relatively low. If you rely only on the indirect sunlight, hardy slow growing plants like anubias or java ferns might still photosynthesize and grow in those low light levels (or at least sustain existing leaves), though faster growing stem plants may have issues and melt faster than they grow. I guess you just have to try and see.

But if you have aquarium lights scheduled, the sunlight will just add to the overall light intensity so plants on the side that gets abit more light will tend to grow abit faster.... quite often algae also grow faster on that side too.
    I am having this problem just now.
    As my tank is without lighting and is placed far from the windows, I am just surviving with a bit of old hardy Java ferns.
    I had bought Java ferns from LFS but they are conditioned to bright light, so they browned and die very soon after placing in my tank.
    What I am looking for now is some leafy Java Ferns which are grown in low light. Any idea where I can start looking?
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    I am having this problem just now.
    As my tank is without lighting and is placed far from the windows, I am just surviving with a bit of old hardy Java ferns.
    I had bought Java ferns from LFS but they are conditioned to bright light, so they browned and die very soon after placing in my tank.
    What I am looking for now is some leafy Java Ferns which are grown in low light. Any idea where I can start looking?
    I guess you could just buy the normal java ferns from LFS then let them shed the old leaves (or just trim them off), if they have strong healthy rhizomes that store sufficient resources to recover, the new leaves that grow out should be adapted to the new lower light levels.

Only problem with very low light levels, it takes forever for the adapted leaves to grow back out, you'll have to wait a much longer time. Plant growth still depends alot on light availability, otherwise they just sit there doing nothing.

Why not just put a cheap LED light on the tank? No need those high end lights, just those $20-$30 LED lights from Easy Aqua or That Aqua brands would be sufficient, use a plug timer to switch it on for 5-6 hours a day, it'll make a big difference to the overall plant growth.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    I guess you could just buy the normal java ferns from LFS then let them shed the old leaves (or just trim them off), if they have strong healthy rhizomes that store sufficient resources to recover, the new leaves that grow out should be adapted to the new lower light levels.

Only problem with very low light levels, it takes forever for the adapted leaves to grow back out, you'll have to wait a much longer time. Plant growth still depends alot on light availability, otherwise they just sit there doing nothing.

Why not just put a cheap LED light on the tank? No need those high end lights, just those $20-$30 LED lights from Easy Aqua or That Aqua brands would be sufficient, use a plug timer to switch it on for 5-6 hours a day, it'll make a big difference to the overall plant growth.
    Thanks for the suggestion shifu UA.

For me, I always stubbornly prefer to have just a spotlight to be shone at the front of the tank. I am much addicted to that arrangement, because the effect at night is spectacular, especially with a tankful of flourescing colourful guppies.

But I agree tank lighting is a must for planted tanks.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!