Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

wat fish wont eat my shrimp

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Currently have a 2ft semi low tech tank cycling(shud be ready in a couple weeks)

i plan to have cherry shrimp & amano shrimps.

neon tetras, harleyquinn, danios, kuhli loach, panda cory, betta are wat im gonna get, im quite sure they wont eat my shrimps as my tank has good hiding spots.

i plan on getting 1 dutch ram & 1 honey dwarf gourami. Will these attack my shrimps? I dont care bout shrimplets, ill have a seperate tank for breeding, talking bout the adults.

and are there any other recommendation for non schooling fish that wont eat my shrimps?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: wat fish wont eat my shrimp

This is a golden question . Expects answer like anything mouth of the fish can fit it will be eaten . But yes fish do have some instinct , some of them tends to peck shrimps .

Movement of fish induce stress to shrimps , as fishes are shrimp natural predator , stressing shrimps will cause death eventually . Amano shrimp are bigger than the size of your fish and are fairly aggressive I saw it attacking other shrimps and fish before in my tank . Basically fish that u keep cant be swimming to slow else risk it to be snack of amano shrimp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

yea i get that alot on the forums online. but i do see videos and pple posting on singapore facebook aquarium hobbist page that their tanks seems to be able to incorporate different species of fishes with their shrimps.

Maybe a better way to answer my question is to give the fishes that have the least likelyhood of eating them. LOL!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

So far I have no issue with dwarf corydoras

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For adult shrimps, the neon tetras, harlequin rasboras, danios, khuli loach and panda cory will usually leave them alone... though there is still a chance the tetras, rasboras and danios may nip at and stress the shrimps.

The betta, german blue ram and honey dwarf gourami will have a very high chance of eating adult shrimps... even if the shrimps can't fit into their mouth they can bite and tear the shrimps to pieces to eat. I kept those fishes before with shrimps and they gradually ate up most of the shrimps in my tanks.

All of the above fishes will snack on shrimplets if they get a chance. But if you don't mind that and can add more shrimps in periodically from another breeding tank, then it could be a workable approach.

The fishes which confirm wouldn't eat your shrimps or shrimplets would be algae eaters like otocinclus (which are essential as part of algae management crew) and panda loaches... they are commonly kept even in shrimp breeding tanks.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

oh, I was thinking of having fish and shrimp together too after looking at those youtube and video....seems not easy......now

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

get the amano shrimps, they are bigger hence less likely they will fit into the fishs' mouth. Its the smaller ones like CRS etc that im worried

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Batfish View Post
    oh, I was thinking of having fish and shrimp together too after looking at those youtube and video....seems not easy......now
    It's easy to set up a tank beautiful tank for the purpose of a video presentation.

But in the practical real world, what matters more is the long-term survival and well-being of a tank and its occupants, plus easy/simple maintenance.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thinking of doing bonsai landscape, i know a place to get bonsai..with mosses only....haha..so only fish or shrimp...no mix

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Batfish View Post
    You can keep fishes and shrimps together... just that if the fishes are types which snack on shrimplets (which most small fishes do anyways), then the shrimp population will tend to just grow more slowly or not much at all.

So if you don't mind shrimplets getting eaten (consider them as free natural live food for the fishes), then its okay.

Of course you probably wouldn't want that to occur if you are keep expensive high-end shrimps whereby every shrimplet is worth the value of a mini gold bar.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i will probably get the more hardy and cheaper Malayan shrimps then, so if kena eaten not so heart pain haha. But any idea where got sell?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by nervagent View Post
    i will probably get the more hardy and cheaper Malayan shrimps then, so if kena eaten not so heart pain haha. But any idea where got sell?
    Check at LFS like Seaview, C328 or Y618... those places usually get stocks of malayan shrimps in bulk bags quite regularly.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

wat bout bamboo shrimps? where to get them? they seem pretty friendly and a good size not to be eaten too

Yea i just went Seaview 2 days ago, there was no malayan in sight, maybe the weekend early morning i go will have a better chance

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

wat bout bamboo shrimps? where to get them? they seem pretty friendly and a good size not to be eaten too

Yea i just went Seaview 2 days ago, there was no malayan in sight, maybe the weekend early morning i go will have a better chance
    You can get bamboo shrimps from places like C328 (usually sold prepacked in bags), Polyart, Seaview (also pre-packed in bags), Rainbow Aquarium etc.

Do note that bamboo shrimps tend to grow quite large, i've kept ones that grew up to 10+ cm in size so they will look like giants in a 2ft tank. They are also filter feeders, so do need sufficient levels of suspended food in the water column to thrive (otherwise they end up trying to scavenge surfaces and end up starving).

Although they grow much larger than other shrimps, aggressive fishes like bettas, gouramis and rams may still harass them and bite off their legs until they succumb to the injuries, so there is still some risk even when keeping those fishes with larger shrimps.

All this depends on luck though, you might get a "friendly" betta or ram that may live peacefully with shrimps, or you may get a trouble-maker which creates chaos amongst the shrimp population. So i guess you just have to try and see.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

malayan might not be in sight, but ask the livestock's packers, they might have kept it at the back, not on display.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have Neon Tetras and I see them harassing the red cherry shrimp.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think when you take out the option of schooling fishes, alot of "sure safe" options are eliminated. Most smaller sized fishes (hence smaller mouths) are good students (they school) and species such as boraras brigittae are usually kept with shrimps.

Non-school fish
    100% dangerous fish : Betta, Discus, Angel
    100% safe fish: Otocinclus, Pleco, Cory

Other than that, if the mouth is big enough to gurp the shrimps, they will eat it, unless the fish is pure vegetarian, which so far, only the Oto comes anywhere close.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I had axelrodi and brigittea with shrimps and never had issue.