Advertise here

Advertise here
    As per the question above.....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to recharge Purigen?

Soak it in a cup of 1:1 unscented bleach/water mix for 24 hours, then when the granules revert back to light beige color, soak it in a cup of water treated with Seachem Prime (dose extra just for sure) for another few hours (better for another 24 hours). Not necessary to add any buffers. Check that there is no chlorine smell, then can re-use in the filter.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Soak it in a cup of 1:1 unscented bleach/water mix for 24 hours, then when the granules revert back to light beige color, soak it in a cup of water treated with Seachem Prime (dose extra just for sure) for another few hours (better for another 24 hours). Not necessary to add any buffers. Check that there is no chlorine smell, then can re-use in the filter.
    Just to folow up. How many times can it be recharged? I read online that you can only use it up to 10 times.. but I just read that yesterday.. I've actually used mine for 1 yr now because I thought it could be used perpetually. I dont know if its still working because I never test my water.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnia View Post
    Just to folow up. How many times can it be recharged? I read online that you can only use it up to 10 times.. but I just read that yesterday.. I've actually used mine for 1 yr now because I thought it could be used perpetually. I dont know if its still working because I never test my water.
    It depends on how much its used and re-charged, usually everytime you recharge it the granules will become less and less beige.

I guess after a number of recharges, if the granules stay dark beige then probably time to discard and get a new pack.

So far for my oldest pack, its been recharged around 5-6 times and still looks relatively light beige when clean, so probably can last for a while more.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have recharged mine for a few months and is currently running on a 3 pack routine. One is in the tank, one is recharging and one is on standby.

But just to be safe, make sure you use mostly seachem products. I had the mistake of using amine based products with purigen. Recycled it and placed in my tank, killed almost everything!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Have not used Purigen before. Interested to find out more, especially about its ability to clear up haziness.

[Purigen® controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds. Purigen’s™ impact on trace elements is minimal. It significantly raises redox. It polishes water to unparalleled clarity. ]

So does it remove the inorganic Nitrates that we add in as fertilizers?
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It does not remove the fertilisers you add in.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by cheeboonyong View Post
    Have not used Purigen before. Interested to find out more, especially about its ability to clear up haziness.

[Purigen® controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds. Purigen’s™ impact on trace elements is minimal. It significantly raises redox. It polishes water to unparalleled clarity. ]

So does it remove the inorganic Nitrates that we add in as fertilizers?
    That's one of the advantages of Purgien compared to normal activated carbon (which adsorbs everything indiscriminately)... Purigen mainly adsorbs excess organic compounds, it has no (or very little) effect on the chemical fertilizers that are dosed into planted tanks.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I have seachem Martix and purigen for my matured planted tank. My nitrates is always 0, initially I thought no API master test kit got problem. But after numberous testing it still show 0. Guess the media or purigen doing its job.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

went out to buy and use Purigen on my tank about 1 week ago. Fantastic results in terms of making the water more clear. Just to share...
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

what brand of bleach do your use?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Phoon View Post
    what brand of bleach do your use?
    I usually use the Chlorox brand bleach, regular non-scented version.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

just to confirm by using bleach that I normally use for cleaning the floor won't it kill my live stock later after recharge?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by flatearthling View Post
    just to confirm by using bleach that I normally use for cleaning the floor won't it kill my live stock later after recharge?
    Just make sure to use those household bleach that are unscented.

You will still need rise the pack throughly after treatment and then soak the pack in a container with higher dosages of Seachem Prime to neutralize the bleach chlorine (repeat and soak longer if still got bleach smell).

While its a safe process for most hardy lifestock, if you have super sensitive fishes or shrimps and cannot afford to lose them, then have to be extra careful doing the recharge (test with hardy livestock first).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by flatearthling View Post
    after bleaching you need to remove the bleach,wash first then use chlorine remover
    I'm A Newbie Pls Don't Flame Me

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

After using Purigen for several months, I just wanted to share some feedback.

I have had multiple attacks of Blue-Green Algae on 2 separate tanks. I suspect this is due to a combination of
    1) no more organic nitrates (due to Purigen)
    2) did not increase my inorganic nitrate source to compensate for 1)

Guess I didn't realize how much the organic nitrates were playing a role as fertilizer. I suppose one needs to increase inorganic fertilizer to compensate.
    Cheers
    Boon Yong