Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Newbie question on converting salty tank with sump to high tech planted tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Newbie question on converting salty tank with sump to high tech planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Good day gents,

I'm currently planning to convert my marine tank 2x2x1.5h with sump into high tech planted tank.

Not sure what is required for to start up as i believe at the moment i should be able to save up on light (Maxspect Razer), return pump and chiller.

Please correct me and add on to the items below if i am wrong.

1. Co2 with solenoid and diffusal.
    2. Amazonian sand
    3. BioHome
    4. Filter wool (Currently using filter socks)
    5. Canister (Maybe as i have overflow to sump)

Also from what i read, the amazonian sand from ADA is good for 1 year in terms of providing nutrient. Does this means that once over the effective period, we would have to do continuous dosage or do we have to replace the sand entirely? Would appreciate if senior out here can also give me a rough estimation of cost for additional items required for my scenario. Most probably the only "branded" stuff that i will buy is Amazonian sand from ADA. For Co2 combo i will go for ANS.

Apology for the noob questions are planted tank is a different ball game comparing to marine tank which i have already been keeping for 6 years. Thanks for your time reading cheers!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Newbie question on converting salty tank with sump to high tech planted tank

How long the ADA Amazonia aquasoil's nutrient content lasts for depends on your plant types and density (based on their nutrient take-up rate)... it can range from just a few months (very heavily planted with fast growing plants) to a few years (very sparsely planted with slow growing plants). The supporting fertilizer dosing also affects the nutrient content lifespan of the soil too.

Either way, when you find that the ADA aquasoil nutrient content is low or depleted, just increase the fertilizer dosing amounts or insert fertilizer root tabs/sticks into the soil to rejuvenate its nutrient content. Its not necessary to change the soil, unless you are doing a major re-scape or overhaul of the tank.

Just some approximate costings of the items you plan to buy:

1. Co2 with Solenoid and Diffuser = ANS Professional 2L or 3L System = approx. S$200+ (get a drop checker to monitor the Co2 levels too, $10+ for a plastic one)
    2. ADA Amazonia Aquasoil (Normal Type)= 1 x 9 liter bag = approx. S$40 (can buy more if you want to create steeper slopes)
    3. BioHome Standard = 1 kg pack = S$40+ (you'll probably want more to fill your sump tank chambers, the higher end plus and ultimate versions are more expensive)
    4. Filterwool and sponges = $10-$20 packets.
    5. Since you already got a sump tank filtration, no need to use canister filter.

The other items are lights, fertilizers, plants and hardscape which you can cost in accordingly.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Newbie question on converting salty tank with sump to high tech planted tank

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    How long the ADA Amazonia aquasoil's nutrient content lasts for depends on your plant types and density (based on their nutrient take-up rate)... it can range from just a few months (very heavily planted with fast growing plants) to a few years (very sparsely planted with slow growing plants). The supporting fertilizer dosing also affects the nutrient content lifespan of the soil too.

Either way, when you find that the ADA aquasoil nutrient content is low or depleted, just increase the fertilizer dosing amounts or insert fertilizer root tabs/sticks into the soil to rejuvenate its nutrient content. Its not necessary to change the soil, unless you are doing a major re-scape or overhaul of the tank.

Just some approximate costings of the items you plan to buy:

1. Co2 with Solenoid and Diffuser = ANS Professional 2L or 3L System = approx. S$200+ (get a drop checker to monitor the Co2 levels too, $10+ for a plastic one)
    2. ADA Amazonia Aquasoil (Normal Type)= 1 x 9 liter bag = approx. S$40 (can buy more if you want to create steeper slopes)
    3. BioHome Standard = 1 kg pack = S$40+ (you'll probably want more to fill your sump tank chambers, the higher end plus and ultimate versions are more expensive)
    4. Filterwool and sponges = $10-$20 packets.
    5. Since you already got a sump tank filtration, no need to use canister filter.

The other items are lights, fertilizers, plants and hardscape which you can cost in accordingly.
    Thanks for the info. Guess i will go with heavy planting right from the start as i have seen in countless videos in youtube. But something that i noticed is that usually people will use many different types of substrate which i got no clue other than the normal amazonian sand that i have mentioned. Would appreciate if you could enlighten me on that.

I supposed with heavy planting right from the start, it will shorten the cycling period noticeably (i don't mind waiting for 4 weeks but just wanna ensure optimum survivor for my fishes).

Also another question is that do i fill up the tank with tap water right from the start or should i use ro/di water which i already have but to fill up the tank will take days.

Once again many thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by erikokelf View Post
    Thanks for the info. Guess i will go with heavy planting right from the start as i have seen in countless videos in youtube. But something that i noticed is that usually people will use many different types of substrate which i got no clue other than the normal amazonian sand that i have mentioned. Would appreciate if you could enlighten me on that.
    The different substrate layers that some aquascapers put in their tanks at startup comprise of additional fertilisers, bacteria and bio-media... those are optional add-on things that are "good to have" if you have the budget. They basically extend the nutrient lifespan of the soil and improve the soil function.

If you look at the ADA setups, they usually recommend putting a layer of Bacter 100 (bacteria supplement), Clear Super, Tourmaline BC, then a layer of Penac W and P (improve soil quality), then a layer of Power Sand (looks like porous rocks, holds nutrients and acts as bio-media), then the top layer is ADA aquasoil.

Most people just use the ADA aquasoil on its own without all those additional additives though, as the extra additives tend to push up the overall setup costs by quite abit... so i guess it just depends on your budget.

I supposed with heavy planting right from the start, it will shorten the cycling period noticeably (i don't mind waiting for 4 weeks but just wanna ensure optimum survivor for my fishes).
    Yeah, it's best if you can plant the tank very densely from that start, so that the plants can help to soak up all the available lights, Co2, ammonia and nutrients to grow fast. The higher ammonia take-up rate by plants will help reduce the amount of work the beneficial bacteria need to do to complete the cycle.

Do remember to check, treat and quarantine your new plants throughly beforehand, otherwise if pests/critters and various difficult types of algae hitchhike in and establish in the tank, they will create a big headache down the road.

Also another question is that do i fill up the tank with tap water right from the start or should i use ro/di water which i already have but to fill up the tank will take days.
    Using local tap water is fine, just treat it with a good quality dechlorinator solution (ie. Seachem Prime) before using it in your tank. The ADA Amazonia aquasoil will automatically control the pH and KH to create an environment favourable to plant growth.

Its not really necessary to use RO/DI water for planted tanks, unless you are keeping sensitive livestock which require specific water parameters that are vastly different from your tap water source.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com