Country
    Singapore

Air Pump queries

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,

I'm using HAILEA ACO 6604 dual port to supply air to both my tanks. Tank A is 40x25x25cm, the other tank B is only to a OF betta space of 5L.

I connect the air tubing to an air stone at the end in tank A, the air tubing i cut some strips to create bubbles coming out through the tubings, however my the air stone there's no bubbles coming out. Is it that the air supplied is not enough?

The specs as stated is Pressure more than 0.015MPa, output is 2 x 4.5L/min
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Air Pump queries

If you are splitting air output from one air pump to 2 separate tanks, you need to install a flow control valve on one or both of the lines, so that you can regulate and balance the air output between the 2 tanks.

Air travels via the least resistance, thats is why you see the air bubbles coming out of the tubing with cuts (has least resistance), whereas the air stone got no bubbles (the air stone pores are denser and hence higher resistance). Adjusting the air flow on one or both air lines will solve your issue.

Here is a photo of a flow control valve (there are plastic versions too):

This is a multi-port flow control valve so you can adjust air flow for more lines:

Photos from Google Images.

Also remember to install a check-valve along the lines if you are placing the air pump below the tank water level.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    If you are splitting air output from one air pump to 2 separate tanks, you need to install a flow control valve on one or both of the lines, so that you can regulate and balance the air output between the 2 tanks.

Air travels via the least resistance, thats is why you see the air bubbles coming out of the tubing with cuts (has least resistance), whereas the air stone got no bubbles (the air stone pores are denser and hence higher resistance). Adjusting the air flow on one or both air lines will solve your issue.

Here is a photo of a flow control valve (there are plastic versions too):

This is a multi-port flow control valve so you can adjust air flow for more lines:

Photos from Google Images.

Also remember to install a check-valve along the lines if you are placing the air pump below the tank water level.
    But I'm using 2 ports for 2 different tanks. The individual port have a valve to control the amt of air. You can refer to the pic attached. Even when I switch to the highest, only some parts of the tubing have bubbles coming out.

Sent from my HM NOTE 1W using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Royston Low View Post
    But I'm using 2 ports for 2 different tanks. The individual port have a valve to control the amt of air. You can refer to the pic attached. Even when I switch to the highest, only some parts of the tubing have bubbles coming out.
    Okay, in that case, then it means the air pump isn't producing enough pressure to work the air tubing and air stone... perhaps you'll need to get a more powerful air pump.

Also check that there are no leaks in the tubing or connections, as that can reduce the effective working pressure too.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

the air tubing i cut some strips to create bubbles coming out through the tubings, however my the air stone there's no bubbles coming out.
    XD Becos air will choose the easiest path.. so no bubbles from airstone as the airstone pores are so small that it require more air pressure. The cut must be too wide so all air escape through the cuts instead of the airstone. You can try use small safety pin or needle to punch some tiny holes on tubing and slowly very slowly, trial and error, to enlarge. XD Or you can go get the long airstones to make wall of bubbles, it should a few dollars.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Bern C View Post
    XD Becos air will choose the easiest path.. so no bubbles from airstone as the airstone pores are so small that it require more air pressure. The cut must be too wide so all air escape through the cuts instead of the airstone. You can try use small safety pin or needle to punch some tiny holes on tubing and slowly very slowly, trial and error, to enlarge. XD Or you can go get the long airstones to make wall of bubbles, it should a few dollars.
    I'm thinking of that too. Just saw at seaview they sell Those black rubber hose with holes. Just afraid that not all the holes will have bubbles coming out.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm thinking of that too. Just saw at seaview they sell Those black rubber hose with holes. Just afraid that not all the holes will have bubbles coming out.

Oh... you want those flexible type. The factory make one should be fine as all the pores are almost the same size.
    Here's the video:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Bern C View Post
    Oh... you want those flexible type. The factory make one should be fine as all the pores are almost the same size.
    Here's the video:
    Those solid types as in almost look like air stone But in long shapes better?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Those solid types as in almost look like air stone But in long shapes better?

XD I am no expert in airstone. Probably the longer will better if using the right air pump for maximum output. Longer = more bubbles = more aeration & water movement. If you want more aeration and have the space and like the bubble wall then go for it. ^_^
    XD But I not very sure about the benefits of more bubbles except more bubbles needed during high temperate and overcrowding.