Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inline CO2 diffuser - any feedback?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Inline CO2 diffuser - any feedback?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

This is the type of inline CO2 diffuser I'm interested in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHdMKVPzels

I'm currently using the Intense Bazooka ceramic diffuser and I'm getting very fine bubbles and very good plant growth.

The only complaint that I have with it is that it is inside the tank and generates a LOT of bubbles. Good for plants but I guess not so good aesthetically.

Hence, my interest in the inline CO2 diffuser, since it supposedly dissolves so well that there's no bubbles.

Appreciate it if anyone can share your experience using this or similar kind of product.

Some questions I have:
    1. Do you connect it to your inlet or outlet of your canister filter? The video suggests the outlet.
    2. Does it really achieve 100% dissolve rate, i.e., no bubbles into the tank?
    3. In terms of maintenance, what do you need to do? Have to disconnect and clean it?
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Inline CO2 diffuser - any feedback?

For that type of inline atomizer, bubbles will still be produced, but the bubbles are small enough that they look more like a misty/smokey effect. You will still see micro bubbles floating around the tank (just much smaller size, like the tank got hazy look).

Such inline atomizers are connected along your outflow hose. The latest versions can be taken apart to clean. You will need to clean it regularly as and when the ceramic tube clogs up over time.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Btw, if you want 100% dissolve rate with no visible Co2 bubbles in the tank, then have to use an inline Co2 reactor, it has a mixing chamber which will chop up and mix the Co2 completely into the water before it exits to the tank. There are no ceramic parts to get clogged up, just a pair of free spinning rotors powered by the filter flow, so much less cleaning and maintenance required.

Here is an example (ISTA Inline Co2 reactor):

www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Very good inline co2 reactor ! Also recommended by UA ! Just 2 bps, my co2 indicator straight turn to close yellow (+co2) ! No bubble at all. But if you connect to this inline co2 reactor plus chiller, it will greatly reduce your outflow. So also depend on your canister flow rate.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

For the reactor you have to clean it quite often, if not it will get clogged and the propeller wont spin.You can see UA used double tab so that he can remove and install easily during maintenance.
    I personally prefer inline co2 diffuser, i like to see the tiny bubbles go around the tank .

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

See bubbles from plants pearling more shiok

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

1. You'd better connect it to the outlet. Otherwise your filter will get problem with accumulating air bubles inside.
    2. I can still see very fine bubles go out from the outlet lily pipe. But I think the dissolusion is very good, since my plants breathe strongly with 1.5bps.
    3. Have to place the diffuser in dark, to prevent algea developing on the ceramic part. Maybe twice per year have to clean it by soaking into H2O2 solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by zerofighterx101 View Post
    For the reactor you have to clean it quite often, if not it will get clogged and the propeller wont spin.You can see UA used double tab so that he can remove and install easily during maintenance.
    I personally prefer inline co2 diffuser, i like to see the tiny bubbles go around the tank .
    It probably depends on the amount of debris and dirt that get past the filter... i haven't cleaned my reactors for almost close to a year and the chambers are brown with mulm, but the rotors are still spinning freely.

I guess if the output water is relatively clean and the rotors are not too tightly mounted (some individual units may need abit of trimming on the plastic rotor collar moldings to loosen up their spacings), they can work for quite a while without much cleaning.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Have been using the Aqua UP unit for abt 6mths. So far so good. Better than the in tank defusser as I hate the algea that grows onto it. 5 days or so I see some green liao.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thanks everyone for all the feedback. tempted to give the ISTA inline reactor a try. Was kind of worried about the maintenance but hey, if it's just tearing it down for cleaning once a year, I'm game. Even once every 6 months is really cool too. I clean out my Ehiem 2026 at least once every 3 months anyway

Ah, by the way, read it needs a certain amount of flowrate to drive it properly. Eheim 2026 should be strong enough right?
    Last edited by cheeboonyong; 23rd Aug 2015 at 13:49.
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by cheeboonyong View Post
    Ah, by the way, read it needs a certain amount of flowrate to drive it properly. Eheim 2026 should be strong enough right?
    The Co2 reactors do come in different sizes to match different flow rates... for the ISTA Co2 reactor size that i use, its recommended to be used with filter flow rates between 360-1,000 l/ph. Best if can be at the upper range of recommended flow rate as the rotors will be able to spin much faster and mix the Co2 much quicker.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

UA, I swung by Seaview today and saw this ISTA reactor. Looked good but discovered an issue. The size of the openings are meant for 12/16mm hoses. My 2026 is using 16/22mm. Alamak, cannot fit unless I get hose adapters. From your picture, it doesn't seem like you used any adapters though.

Is your filter using 12/16mm hoses? I'm checking just in case there's actually a 16/22mm reactor version which I wasn't aware.
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

UA, I swung by Seaview today and saw this ISTA reactor. Looked good but discovered an issue. The size of the openings are meant for 12/16mm hoses. My 2026 is using 16/22mm. Alamak, cannot fit unless I get hose adapters. From your picture, it doesn't seem like you used any adapters though.

Is your filter using 12/16mm hoses? I'm checking just in case there's actually a 16/22mm reactor version which I wasn't aware.
    So far I only see such sizing, 12/16mm. Have not see any other size elsewhere when shopping for this reactor.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, my canister filter uses 12/16 hoses so it matches the reactor ports... i guess you will have to get adaptors to fit it (which will further reduce the overall flow) or find another reactor that accepts the larger 16/22 hoses.

The ISTA 16/22 inline version isn't a reactor design though, that uses a ceramic tube to diffuse the Co2 (the spinning wave rotor is just to stir the Co2 on its way out), so its actually a diffuser/atomizer system.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am using inline diffuser ... I can see my co2 bubbles r getting bigger from my out flow .... How should I clean it ? Google say mix with 3 part water and 1 part bleach and soak it for 20 minutes .... Will this work ? Should I dump the whole pcs into the solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

That can work... if the bleach solution is not strong enough, can also try soaking the ceramic tubes in hydrogen peroxide solution too.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Which 1 is safer ? Hydrogen peroxide is safer isn't it ? For hydrogen peroxide do I have to mix with water ? (Water3 peroxide1 ?)

So let me recap if my step is correct

1) prepare he solution
    2) soak the whole inline diffuser in the solution for 20 minutes ( I don't think my inline diffuser can be dismantle to parts)
    3) soak the inline diffuser into water/rinse it thoroughly .

Correct ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have used bleach solution straight out of the bottle to soak my ceramic diffusers. No need to dilute and no issues at all. I do soak it in water overnight afterwards to rinse off. You can always use anti-chlorine if you want (although I haven't and no issues so far).
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have this type ... Whole thing soak in bleach. ? Won't damage the plastic ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I didn't buy this model in the end. But I did use other types of diffusors in the past and I just soak it all in. No issues with the plastic components.

However, regarding this model, I don't know if the bleach can access the ceramic area. haven't seen this up close before. I doubt the plastic will be affected.

The bleach is the household bleach for general cleaning from NTUC.
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast