Country
    Singapore

Lobster and betta...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys need some advise....
    Can betta and lobster coexist in 2ft planted tank?
    Thanks in advance......

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Lobster and betta...

Possible... but there is a high chance the lobster/crayfish will use its claws to grab the betta when its asleep or resting in the vicinity. Its just a matter of time.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Possible... but there is a high chance the lobster/crayfish will use its claws to grab the betta when its asleep or resting in the vicinity. Its just a matter of time.
    Thanks UA...i will take note of that....
    What other fishes would u reccomend to accompany the betta?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    ya, Shifu UA is right. Never under-estimate the lobster. It can be very swift in action when it is hungry.
    As a rule, lobsters should not be kept with slow and graceful movers like Bettas and Guoramis.
    Fast fish like barbs, etc should be okay.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Razzy Razman View Post

Thank sir....shall take note that....i have yet to set up the tank...luckily....still doing my research.....betta will be the main character in this tank....im still think what other fishes suitable to accompany the betta......
    Do u have any qdvice on that?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Razzy Razman View Post
    Small fast fishes like danios, rasboras or tetras can be suitable tank mates... as long as those fishes can out swim the betta and they don't have long flowing tails (which tend to incite bettas to nip and bite).

Do note that if your betta is those type with long tails and fins, it might actually get nipped by the other fishes instead, so you have to monitor and see. It will depend alot of the fish's personalities.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Ive kept native crays in the past and had to remove all the slower fishes with long fins because they will absolutely try to catch and eat about anything that swims by slowly enough. I wouldnt try it even.
    If At First You Dont Succeed..... Go Fishin

Owner/Admin: http://myfirstfishtank.xyz

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have kept crown betta with tetras, ram and also chichild before. Not a good idea with chichild as it can easily out swim the betta.

Also, as tetras do hibernate at times, also top water fish like betta, they will eventually get nipped.

As for lobster with betta, agree with the 2 master here, thats how i loss my crown betta

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My betta was the victim of vicious dwarf crayfish (lobster) attack and I personally seen one CPO creep up and then pounce onto to my betta slowly from behind while it was resting on the floor. These lobsters are opportunistic hunters. More hunters than scavengers I feel.

As for fishes with the betta, I think smaller-sized, peaceful schooling fishes are generally fine. Betta are usually ok with tetras. Aggressive nipping fishes like angel fishes are out as they will nip at your beta's beautiful fins.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    My betta was the victim of vicious dwarf crayfish (lobster) attack and I personally seen one CPO creep up and then pounce onto to my betta slowly from behind while it was resting on the floor. These lobsters are opportunistic hunters. More hunters than scavengers I feel.
    Yes, many might have seen how cats pounce on a sparrow after stealthily watching it and then suddenly attack it at lightning speed.
    Lobsters in a fish tank act in the same manner too, with especially with gracefully slow and unsuspecting lone Bettas.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks guys.... Thanks alot for the input...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Basically get fishes that are known as peaceful fish(corydoras, coolie loach, otocinclus should be fine). Don't get fancy or colourful fish such as 'fancy' guppies or ones that have similar colour as the male betta may get territorial and both fishes will get stressed out. Also no crayfish or lobsters of any kind should be placed with fishes/ other inverts as these critters are well known for eating(and destroying plants), carnivores and opportunistic hunters. Watch some online videos to see how these lobsters catch and devour feeder fish, because one day- that'll happen to your fish too if you go this route. Depending on your beta's personality and temperament, you may be able to add some other inverts like amano shrimp or nerites(These are 100% harmless and dwarf shrimps are entertaining). Some bettas are cool with inverts and other fishes sharing their tank space, while others do not tolerate anything.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Personally I feel that you should not keep anything with lobsters. I lost 3 otos due to one lobster catching them all. Keep in mind that I feed my lobsters sufficiently, maybe overfeed even, just to make sure they're not hungry. But the moment the oto accidentally swims too close, bam gone.

Sent from my HM NOTE 1W using Tapatalk
    That shit Cray!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Griffith and Dylan thanks for input and suggestions....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If you really really MUST keep the lobster and some fishes. I think the cardinal tetras (the bigger ones imported from Columbia) stand a chance from my experience.

I had school of 10, not a single casualty throughout the tenure of the lobster residency.

I suspect its because they are fast(extremely) and generally hang out in middle level of tank where the lobsters are not able to reach effectively. Or maybe the size of school ensures that the lobster stays away.

I always have feeling that these clawed critters are smarter than they look. Sometimes I catch them checking me out as if sizing my presence and threat. Creepy.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    If you really really MUST keep the lobster and some fishes. I think the cardinal tetras (the bigger ones imported from Columbia) stand a chance from my experience.

I had school of 10, not a single casualty throughout the tenure of the lobster residency.

I suspect its because they are fast(extremely) and generally hang out in middle level of tank where the lobsters are not able to reach effectively. Or maybe the size of school ensures that the lobster stays away.

I always have feeling that these clawed critters are smarter than they look. Sometimes I catch them checking me out as if sizing my presence and threat. Creepy.
    Thanks Ralph..... After much consideration.... I think I'm gonna get another tank for lobster....