Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discus help

Discus help

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I realised no discus topic here. I am at the right category right? Discus are cichlids...

Ok, I got my female who has been with me for almost a year, male got sick which until now is still sick. Transfered out, but by the looks of it, I think he's simple waiting to die only. Female is doing fine but her signs are erratic.

One moment, she looks fine with colours bright, the next, turns pale with dark bars. When I removed the male, she turned bright.

Just got some discus and expected her to liven up, instead, turn pale and dark bars come out. Any way to help? I know she isn't sick, eating well and responding when food comes. No idea what her prob is.
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    think she might have been bullied or just feel shy..
    she might also feels that her territory is been invaded.. is it a big tank btw? u adding discus bigger then her or smaller then her?

----------------
    On 4/1/2002 12:59:03 AM

I realised no discus topic here. I am at the right category right? Discus are cichlids...

Ok, I got my female who has been with me for almost a year, male got sick which until now is still sick. Transfered out, but by the looks of it, I think he's simple waiting to die only. Female is doing fine but her signs are erratic.

One moment, she looks fine with colours bright, the next, turns pale with dark bars. When I removed the male, she turned bright.

Just got some discus and expected her to liven up, instead, turn pale and dark bars come out. Any way to help? I know she isn't sick, eating well and responding when food comes. No idea what her prob is.
    ----------------

LeAnn, you also into discus? Fwah, you are officially an endangered species, better implant microchip into you like they do for arrowanas.

Ok, the discus, well, got about 9, 6 for a friend, the rest will be mine. At max on 2 are bigger. She can't be shy, the only discus to respond to feeding and attacking a small one too. Maybe she needs time. She is too precious to me lah, cannot let her die. My first discus to produce a brood and most reponsive to me. I am getting stressed when she get stressed. *sheesh*

Take a look at what she was before if you want.
    http://homex.coolconnect.com/member3...us/discus.html
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wats the size of yr tank? I agree with Leann on the territory thing

the big planted tank lor, 3 ft long. Maybe you might be right. But I just added last night, her reaction will be that fast? But must admit her colours before this addition was erratic too. Coming on when food comes, then goes back to pale and dark bars, only having colours come on sometimes only.
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    she too stress, luckily for u.. she is still happily eating, so not really a prob

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    at least she eating.. a bit over crowded in my opinion.. btw.. her fins r close to her right? usually its a sign that she sick or stress..

give time and make sure no other discus bully her.. the it will be fine

----------------
    On 4/1/2002 10:01:08 AM

the big planted tank lor, 3 ft long. Maybe you might be right. But I just added last night, her reaction will be that fast? But must admit her colours before this addition was erratic too. Coming on when food comes, then goes back to pale and dark bars, only having colours come on sometimes only.
    ----------------

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi LeAnn, I think your female is properly under stress. Don't get too worry. Discus unsuall close it finage, turn dark or show it bars whenever, they are stress, frighten other than sick. Furthermore, have u qurantine your new fish before u put in together with your female? Disease might spread if u did qurantine your new fish.[:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    not me lah.. spilopterus's discus... mine all ok and 2 pairs breeding

----------------
    On 4/1/2002 10:41:39 AM

Hi LeAnn, I think your female is properly under stress. Don't get too worry. Discus unsuall close it finage, turn dark or show it bars whenever, they are stress, frighten other than sick. Furthermore, have u qurantine your new fish before u put in together with your female? Disease might spread if u did qurantine your new fish.[:]
    ----------------

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oop... sorry see the wrong person.

See how, my discus population will be reduced to at max 6 only, I now got 10 cause I am holding some of them for a friend for a week. Well, I'll try to get a pic of her than we can do a medical examination. Her fins aren't clamped, in fact, since I had her, never once has she ever clamped even though she was once hit by internal parasites and white spots. Tough babe.

By the way, what happen to David our discus expert?

Leann: you got 2 pairs breeding? How many tanks you got just for discus to breed them and raise them? Some info perhaps.

I am trying to see how I can raise discus, holidays are approaching, so got time to dedicate to them.
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    now ah... 4 ft bare discus tank, 1 pair in 2ft tank.. 1 pair in 1 3 ft tank..
    the other 3ft and 4ft lou hans []

btw.. just remember that u should pump alot of air cos so many in one tank sure not enough space..

my 4ft got abt 3 big ones , 4 medium ones and the rest abt 20 juveniles discus ... and alot of air pumps and 2 external filter.. over-tank kinds not the canister kind..

----------------
    On 4/1/2002 12:54:26 PM

See how, my discus population will be reduced to at max 6 only, I now got 10 cause I am holding some of them for a friend for a week. Well, I'll try to get a pic of her than we can do a medical examination. Her fins aren't clamped, in fact, since I had her, never once has she ever clamped even though she was once hit by internal parasites and white spots. Tough babe.

By the way, what happen to David our discus expert?

Leann: you got 2 pairs breeding? How many tanks you got just for discus to breed them and raise them? Some info perhaps.

I am trying to see how I can raise discus, holidays are approaching, so got time to dedicate to them.
    ----------------

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    LeAnn, it seems to me you live in an LFS! [:]
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    no lah.. people who come into my house say its looks like a zoo[]

----------------
    On 4/1/2002 10:15:31 PM

LeAnn, it seems to me you live in an LFS! [:]
    ----------------

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi spily

i am still here!

I will agree with simon and leann that your tank is overcrowded and the air pump thing is a very good idea......what happen to the male?.........don't tell me....not feeding and growing thinner by the day.....sign[]

hope that your friend collects his discus from you soon as all this movement is going to stress your lady discus even more.......I dont think she is sick as you mentioned that she is responding to feeding.....

ps

eerh i am assuming that you have observed that the poop is not white and stringy, no excessive body mucus, normal gill movements and no mucus trails?
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Leann... you are better than me. Can you tell me how you negotiate with your dad for one more tank? I think if I get to breed the discus and raise them to become big, MAYBE, I can convince my parents.... maybe....

David:
    Ah you still around. yayy... the old gang is back. ha...
    ok, don't worry, I'm holding on to the discus for a week only, so it'll be down to 4 i think by this sunday. Hopefully sooner, they are all in the planted tank, so no problem with air at the moment. Very varocious, they ate 5 cubes of bloodworms. sheesh.

Male is really bad, may have to euthanise, feel guilty, the first discus father but it is bad, sluggish that I can catch with my hand. Refuses to eat, black.

Female has none of the signs you mentioned. no white poop, no excess mucus, no clamp fins.

Hold on those comments, give me tuesday night, the pics will be in then we can do medical examination.
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    spilo

keep me posted......but based on your discription, the male sounds bad......how is the forehead....is it still thick or knifed edged.....if it is still thick there is still a chance if its the latter....the chance is very slim.
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i think it might be that male is old already.. or suffering from internal parasities.. can i suggest u try yellow solution? the ones u use to apply on external injuries on humans? i always use that medicine on sick fish .. worth a try right?

hi david ^.^ long time no see

----------------
    On 4/2/2002 2:01:59 AM

spilo

keep me posted......but based on your discription, the male sounds bad......how is the forehead....is it still thick or knifed edged.....if it is still thick there is still a chance if its the latter....the chance is very slim.
    ----------------

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    spilo, suggest yr oso do water change every few days.. 5cubes daily in a 3ft is alot..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    LeAnn

I would go for either the H3 or H4 sold at either rainbow or the taiwan shop.....

spilo: dont mean any punt about the NS thingy yesterday.......
    [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast