Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: What kind of diseases are platies usually prone to?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What kind of diseases are platies usually prone to?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am a big fan of platies and I have been keeping and breeding 35 pieces of them alongside 6 sailfin mollies,12 corydoras and 20 glowlight tetras in my 90 x 45 x 45 tank since I got back into the fishkeeping hobby after a 5 year absence last year.I currently sealed off 5cm of my main tank to serve as a refuge for the fries and now there are 20 fries in my tank.

I decided to get a 120 x 45 x 45 tank for my current livestock by this Christmas and the current 90 x 45 x 45 tank will be used for my wife's goldfishes.The life support system for the 120 x 45 x 45 tank will be a unit of Eheim Pro 3 600 Limited Edition while the life support system for the 90 x 45 x 45 tank will be Eheim Ecco 300.

I recently read in a British fishkeeping magazine called Practical Fishkeeping that platies or livebearers are very prone to fish TB,hunched body and wasting away.Is that true?It happened to some of my female platies and they passed away soon after.

Is it alright if I choose to seal off 5cm of my main tank for the fries and feed them 4 drops of Liquidfry twice a day on weekdays and 4 times a day on weekends?Tried to use a small tank for bringing my fries previously but I think the ammonia spike killed all 60 of the fries.

Is it true that we should only keep one type of livebearer in a tank because all 4 types don't get along with each other?BTW,all my livebearer stocks comes from Seaview.How do you guys rate their livebearer stocks?
    Last edited by RenesisTurbo; 6th Oct 2015 at 22:55.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: What kind of diseases are platies usually prone to?

Hi RenesisTurbo
    welcome back to the hobby...

for platies, I think you do not need liquid fry... just drop in some flake food or a small piece of hikari algea waffle they should be able to eat it...

keeping one kind of livebearer is to prevent them to cross breed.. I think molly and platy can cross breed and come out something different.. if your intention is to create new colour or strains, keeping them together is a good idea...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you keep your water clean and do not over crowd your stock and care for them well, your platy will not succumb to diseases easily. For the fry, it is easier to feed and raise them in a separate smaller tank that is not too deep. Feed them with finely crushed flakes. Fry needs frequent feeds and the water may get dirty faster, so raising them in a separate tank allows you to change water more often and easily.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I tried raising 60 of them in a 30cm tank but they passed away one after and another due to water quality problems.So I decided to keep them in a enclosure in my main tank which I sealed off 5cm of it using a large plastic board which have tiny holes in it.So far so good.But how long do they take to grow big?

As you know from my previous post,most of my platies stocks comes from Seaview but I noticed in the past that some platies slowly waste away right from the first day I brought them home and put them into my tank but they were quite lively when I saw them in their tanks at Seaview.Are there any alternate places to get fancy platies beside Seaview in SG?

Anyone knows if the platies that are on sale in SG are originally from Mexico or local bred?I am eager to get my hands on those which are wild caught from Central America.Managed to get some contacts from Japan which offered me some wild platies from Mexico for sale but quite apprehensive about it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Welcome.
    What strain of platy you prefer ?
    OTF at pasir ris farmway had quite a few variety.
    Platy are mostly prone to white spot and fin rot.
    Water parameter from shop and your house is always different.

CHeers..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I did buy a piece of play from OTF before when I was on ICT a few years ago.Oriented the NSF driver on staff car and ended buying a piece of platy at 4 bucks at OTF.Really super expensive.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RenesisTurbo View Post
    I did buy a piece of play from OTF before when I was on ICT a few years ago.Oriented the NSF driver on staff car and ended buying a piece of platy at 4 bucks at OTF.Really super expensive.
    yes, price abit high , but variety more to choose from.

CHeers..