Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Add new fish during 'day' or 'night'?

Feedback Score

Add new fish during 'day' or 'night'?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi ppl...

Just wondering, wld it be better to add new fish to the community during 'night' period of the tank to reduce stress to the habitat, or to do it during the 'day'? Or is there any difference at all?

My personal opinion fr observation/experience is to add during the 'night'. Wld love to hear fr everyone here on this...thx.

Nizz

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the only reason y i prefer to add them during lights off, is not to scare both the fishes in the tank and in the bag.. i notice, everytime, i float the bag during lights-on, all the other fishes will gather and when i add altums.. the angel wld try to take a bite at them

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i add fish when lights is off too. seems to be less stressful for the new guys.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I will also try my best to add them during night time for one reason lessen the stress but if the fishes added in are of the same species i don't see any reason why not to add it in the day too.
    Cheers!

Benetay

I personally find that intro-ing new fishes by placing bag in the water is very very stressful for the new fish cuz the other inhabitants will always be nosy and I will notice the new fishes actually jumping here and there agitatedly in the bag. what I do is leave the bag outside the tank but for a few hours so the temp can drop to room temp (as close to my tank water itself without actually putting the bag in), then feed my fishes a lot, then wait till lights out (preferably after a while after lights out) b4 putting in the new fish. this way the old fishes are full and lazy and the new fishes can quickly swim to find refuge amongst the plants. I suspect contrary to pop belief, unless the temp is really very diff btwn the bag water and your tank water, the fish won't really mind the change. I think the practice of letting the water temp acclimatise is more relevant to other countries where the weather is very cold outside but warm inside the house so transporting the fish home might mean a huge temp diff in the water.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    climatization not only for the temp difference, but oso the water condition..

another reason y i like apisto, never need to climatise them