Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Filter System Advice Needed for 40x23x27 cm tank

Feedback Score

Filter System Advice Needed for 40x23x27 cm tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    The tank volume works out to be about 22L(assuming 1 inch gap from the rim of the tank.) I'm looking for a filter system preferrably with the ability to house a larger load of bio medias. The tank will be setup with MC, S. Repen and Downoi (Low profile plants) and will mainly be a shrimp tank. I have in mind the Shiruba XB303(http://www.eastoceansg.com/shiruba-x...lh-p-1245.html) or the XB305(http://www.eastoceansg.com/shiruba-x...lh-p-1246.html). Will the latter be overkill even though it can house more bio medias. Is the XB303 more than sufficient to ensure sufficient water flow in my tank? Is there any way to attached a small surface skimmer device to the inflow?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Filter System Advice Needed for 40x23x27 cm tank

Both the XB303 and XB305 would be suitable for your tank size and volume. If you have the space and budget, go for the larger XB305 as it has extra filtration volume to hold more bio-media.

Get a single or double tap and install it on the outflow hose of the filter, then you can adjust the flow rate lower if required.

There are various surface skimmer add-ons which can replace the intake pipe... but for your shorter tank height, you will need to go for a smaller design. Here is one which i saw online which might match your requirements:

Source: http://world.taobao.com/item/5202673...4650.55.hq07Lo

Not sure if our local LFS have started to stock this design yet though, i guess you can check around... or just order it from online.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score

Thanks UA. Does the XB303. and XB305 itself comes with outflow adjustment? Is it self priming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stream View Post
    Thanks UA. Does the XB303. and XB305 itself comes with outflow adjustment? Is it self priming?
    Both of those filter models don't come with inbuilt flow adjustment taps, so you will just need to buy those parts separately. Most LFS sell the single-taps or double-taps, ask them for the 12/16 size ones.

The XB-series filters utilize a top-off method of "priming" the filter (just open the top cap and pour water in to fill it), so its quite easy to get the system started up after initial setup or maintenance.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Stream, im currently using a 303 with a 30cm tank. I would second UA's advise - get the 305 and an adjustable tap. You can always reduce the water flow but not increase it if you find the 303 too weak.

Not sure if you are very focused on a skimmer as there's limited real estate in a 40cm tank. If you place the in and out let properly, there will not be much surface film build up (im assuming you are installing a skimmer for that).

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Forgot to add that i love using the 303. I think the design makes it very hardy and durable.

Priming is by the screw tap on top.

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have a 305 working in my 10L tank. 😅 Initially feel like overkill, but after adding in surface skimmer and the small metal mesh inlet, the flow is just right for my tank. Take note of the surface skimmer design. I plug a small surface skimmer (10mm or 12mm due to my limited space of the 10L) before, the flow rate of the 305 slow down very very much.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Kingelliot View Post
    I have a 305 working in my 10L tank. 😅 Initially feel like overkill, but after adding in surface skimmer and the small metal mesh inlet, the flow is just right for my tank. Take note of the surface skimmer design. I plug a small surface skimmer (10mm or 12mm due to my limited space of the 10L) before, the flow rate of the 305 slow down very very much.

uploadfromtaptalk1445901417058.jpg
    This design (the smallest) one doesn't fit the 305 performance. I ended up brought a 2nd hand OF HOF and took it's surface skimmer.
    uploadfromtaptalk1445901591148.jpg

Feedback Score

I'm concerned that the XB303 might not generate enough water flow within my tank and I certainly don't wish to turn my tank into a washing machine. I will definitely need a cylinder mesh attached to the inflow.

Is the length of the spray bar and height of the XB303 and XB305 the same. The XB305 assembled height is almost the same height as my tank. I've checked out the Shiruba double taps at C328 and it is retailing at $20 and it is quite huge. I just need one if I'm getting the XB305. I wonder if C328 sells other brands with only 1 tap.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

How about getting a Ehiem 2211 or EHEIM aquacompact ?
    I am using a 2211 on my 1 feet cube with no washing machine effect

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stream View Post
    I'm concerned that the XB303 might not generate enough water flow within my tank and I certainly don't wish to turn my tank into a washing machine. I will definitely need a cylinder mesh attached to the inflow.

Is the length of the spray bar and height of the XB303 and XB305 the same. The XB305 assembled height is almost the same height as my tank. I've checked out the Shiruba double taps at C328 and it is retailing at $20 and it is quite huge. I just need one if I'm getting the XB305. I wonder if C328 sells other brands with only 1 tap.
    Based on my experience, if you attached a mesh inlet plus a surface skimmer to the 305, you won't have a washing machine.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You can also use a double-tap valve to control the flow. Just remember to only control the outlet flow and not the inlet flow!
    Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~

Feedback Score

I bought the XB305 with a single tap and managed to set up my tank yesterday. As it turns out, I don't even need the tap to control the outflow. I'm using the spray bar provided to distribute the outflow evenly from the back of my tank to front. The XB305 seems to be just nice for my tank size. I'm very pleased with the water movement in my tank(without the washing machine effect.). It is also very quiet in operation. The height of the XB305 is about the same as my tank and so it sits on the cabinet top, well hidden from view behind my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk