Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just a question to ask.....

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have 2 units of 90x45x45 tanks in my living room and in my study room.No 1 tank in the living room is a year old and powered up by a unit of Eheim Pro 3 600 and houses fishes like sailfin mollies,platies,black phantom tetras and corys.

Due to the missus's recent interest in keeping goldfishes,I ordered tank no 2 to be put in my study and I wanted to move the sailfin mollies,platies,black phantom tetras and corys to tank no 2 into the study.Thus I bought a unit of Eheim Ecco Pro 300 to power up no 1 tank in the living room.

On Sunday evening,I washed up the sand and deposited them into tank no 2 and I also moved the Pro 3 600 into the study.I took 40% of the tank water from tank no 1 and put them into tank no 2.The remaining 60% of water in tank no 2 came from the tap.I also removed 3 quarters of every kind of seasoned media from the Pro 3 600 and put them into the Ecco Pro 300,primed it and started to run it in tank no 1.So far so good,no problems in tank no 1.

As for the Pro 3 600,I used the new media that came with the newly bought Ecco Pro 300 and put them inside,put in around 10 ml of OF's 8000 beneficial bacteria on the media in each of the 4 trays in the Pro 3 600,connected the hoses and started running the empty tank in the study 2 hours ago.I also put in a pack each of Purigen and Renew in 2 of the trays.Water is a bit cloudy though.

Am I doing anything wrong by the steps I took above?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Just a question to ask.....

Hi Turbo after reading here are some points I would like to share, if wrong bros please help to correct:

1) The cloudy water could be due to sand you place it as well as the bacteria boom. It should clear up on its own after running a couple of days. If it still does not resolve try using those clear water solutions if it is due to floating particle problem the solutions will work. Do you off your filter at night if yes could also be one of the reason.

2) Although it is logical to move some mature media to new tank to speed up cycle time. But
    3 quarter of your seasoned media sounds alot. It could potentially open up problem with your old tank due to so much bacteria lost. Better monitor.

3) Moving water from old tank to new tank is risky and not worth the effort. You might be bringing diseases from the old tank to the new one since some diseases like ich you cannot see until your fishes gotten it by then is too late.

4) Be prepared to have some backup for your Ecco pro filter. After a while of usage the handle breaks easily when priming. I broken 2 so I can safely tell you the plastic joint is not durable.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,qool.....I switched and ran my Eheim Pro 3 600 on full throttle in the empty tank even since I primed it up last evening.

So in regards to the water that was mixed between tap and old tank water,do I need to do a large water change again and add OF'S 8000 beneficial bacteria as well?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RenesisTurbo View Post
    Hi,qool.....I switched and ran my Eheim Pro 3 600 on full throttle in the empty tank even since I primed it up last evening.

So in regards to the water that was mixed between tap and old tank water,do I need to do a large water change again and add OF'S 8000 beneficial bacteria as well?
    So, No 1 has fish in it but No 2 have no fish?
    you might want to run both filter on No 1 for a few week. When you finally add fishes to No 2, just move the new canister to No 2. Your tank should fully cycle in 1-2 weeks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ren_hao View Post
    So, No 1 has fish in it but No 2 have no fish?
    you might want to run both filter on No 1 for a few week. When you finally add fishes to No 2, just move the new canister to No 2. Your tank should fully cycle in 1-2 weeks
    So if I were to leave the Pro 3 600 as it is currently and let it run for the whole of this week on the empty tank,is it considered fully cycled?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

So if I were to leave the Pro 3 600 as it is currently and let it run for the whole of this week on the empty tank,is it considered fully cycled?
    Running your pro 3 600 with its remaining 25% media in your empty study room tank with no ammonia source will starve all your BB. It will never cycle
    If you leave your pro 3 600 with it remaining 25% media in your living room tank, it might take it 1-4 weeks to recycle itself.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ok but I put one pack each of Purigen and Renew in my Ecco Pro 300 and 2 packs of Renew and 1 pack of Purigen in my Pro 3 600.

If I were to just put 1 type of either Renew or Purigen in my canister filters,which is better?Anyone knows how many packs of Purigen or Renew do I need in my canister filters?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Running your pro 3 600 with its remaining 25% media in your empty study room tank with no ammonia source will starve all your BB. It will never cycle
    If you leave your pro 3 600 with it remaining 25% media in your living room tank, it might take it 1-4 weeks to recycle itself.
    @RTurbo
    I hope you don't mind me saying. Actually, you have complicated things a lot.

The purpose of 'cycling' a new tank's water is to raise a colony of bacteria in the tank, mainly residing in the filter media. Once that is accomplished, one should not disturb the setup or upset the established equilibrium and integrity of a tank by drastically altering the existing components.

Mixing a significant amount of 'raw' tap water with the existing 'mature' tank water will probably have killed off a lot or all of the established bacteria already thriving in the filter media.

It would have been be better if you had posted your questions before carrying out the actions.
    Anyway, there will be many helpful bros here who will be able to help you resolve any problem.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    @RTurbo
    I hope you don't mind me saying. Actually, you have complicated things a lot.

The purpose of 'cycling' a new tank's water is to raise a colony of bacteria in the tank, mainly residing in the filter media. Once that is accomplished, one should not disturb the setup or upset the established equilibrium and integrity of a tank by drastically altering the existing components.
    Mixing a significant amount of 'raw' tap water with the existing 'mature' tank water will probably have killed off a lot or all of the established bacteria already thriving in the filter media.

It would have been be better if you had posted your questions before carrying out the actions.
    Anyway, there will be many helpful bros here who will be able to help you resolve any problem.
    It's okay,no one is a lau chiao at fish keeping. We are all learning everyday from mistakes. So what should I do now?

How many packs of Purigen or Renew do I need to put in my Ecco Pro 300 and Pro 3 600?Which is better to put in my filters if I have to choose from Purigen or Renew?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just 1 x 100ml pack of Purigen will do... not necessary to put Renew (which is a milder version of Matrix Carbon), unless you are trying to remove medications.

Note that Purigen will adsorb the excess organic compounds that produce ammonia, so there will be less "food" for the beneficial bacteria to consume and grow. The ammonia levels may be zero so the tank may "look" cycled but the bacteria population would also be comparatively smaller and weaker. For people who want to create a stronger bacteria population (in anticipation of higher bio-loads), they usually don't put Purigen in until the tank is fully cycled.

Here is some discussion on it: http://www.seachem.com/support/forum...ead.php?t=4021

Btw, are there any fishes in the new and old tank? Reason why i ask is to find out if there is ammonia source to sustain and grow the beneficial bacteria. Like what ren_hao mentioned, running a filter with seasoned bio-media in a tank without livestock or active soil and no ammonia will just starve out the bacteria, so later when you add in livestock it will have to start another cycle again.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Old tank contains my livestock like platies,mollies,black phantom tetras and livebearer fries.The new tank is empty though although I dropped 40 ml of OF's 8000 BB into the trays containing the filter media in the Pro 3 600.

Did notice that there were bits of brownish scum that was pushed out from the Pro 3 600 into the new tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It's okay, no one is a lau chiao at fish keeping. We are all learning everyday from mistakes. So what should I do now?

How many packs of Purigen or Renew do I need to put in my Ecco Pro 300 and Pro 3 600?Which is better to put in my filters if I have to choose from Purigen or Renew?
    Hahaha... that kind of question puts me in an unrecoverable daze. You see, my style is I don't or seldom use any chemical products other than activated carbon, which happens to be my favourite product. When I season my tanks, I go old-school by rearing bacteria the old-fashioned way.

One of my favourite acts is to squeeze an old dirty muck-filled sponge from a mature seasoned tank into the newly set up tank and then wait and wait and wait for the bacteria colony/colonies to develop. I don't go for shortcuts by using chemicals as I believe there are bound to be unknown factors involved.
    Last edited by tetrakid; 24th Nov 2015 at 16:37.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'm assuming the new tank got no active soil or any ammonia sources?

In that case, either just run both filters in the old tank with the existing fishes to maintain and grow their bacteria population... or transfer a few fishes at a time to the new tank with the new filter, so that they can produce some ammonia to help grow the bacteria population.

I usually do that when setting up new tanks using inert sand substrates, just seed it's filter with seasoned bio-media which instantly establishes cycled conditions for a small bio-load, then slowly transfer small batches of fishes and shrimps across to the new tanks gradually over a period of time. The key is to transfer over only small numbers of livestock at a time, so that the bacteria populations have sufficient time to grow and handle the increasing bio-load.

Even in my quarantine and holding tanks, i always keep a small group of fishes and shrimps in them just to sustain the bacteria population and cycle. Not much point dosing bottled bacteria additives in a tank with no livestock, the bacteria will just die out if left without any food to consume and grow.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Care to gimme some tips on how to grow BBS in the traditional way?My empty tank had been running at full throttle so I have couple of weeks to learn how to do so.
    Last edited by RenesisTurbo; 24th Nov 2015 at 16:38.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Care to gimme some tips on how to grow BBS in the traditional way?My empty tank had been running at full throttle so I have couple of weeks to learn how to do so.
    Actually it's all common sense after you have grasped the principles.

Growing a colony of good bacteria requires preparing the right conditions for the bacteria to flourish. Without such conditions in the tank, bacteria growth will be retarded or prevented. It is well and good to use proprietary seeding products to start the process. Seeding bacteria can also be obtained from an existing mature tank's sponges if available. These are my favourite. That is why I don't clean my sponges, as they are loaded richly with bacterial material.

After the kick-off, it is important to provide a souce of nutrition for the multiplying bacteria to consume and thrive. Such nutrition is normally provided by rotting or decomposing organic matter such as fish poop and/or other rotting stuff. The main item produced by such rotting organic matter is ammonia, without which bacteria will be starved of nutrition. So it is important to keep the bacteria 'happy' and growing in number by providing them with good nutriton at all times.

In addition to ammonia, it is equally vital to ensure the water is well-oxygenated, otherwise, the good bacteria will be wiped out, and a nasty stink will result. Oxygen, abundantly available, is life for both fauna and good bacteria.

Please note that 'rearing' good bacteria takes time, but it is worth the long wait when you see a crystal-clear body of water in your tank, which indicates that a state of equilibrium has been achieved.
    Last edited by tetrakid; 24th Nov 2015 at 19:45.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Do you want to do fish-less or fish-in cycling? Once you decide, folks can answer directly to you. Quite a few have already shared how to do fish-in cycling with a bit of matured media

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Do you want to do fish-less or fish-in cycling? Once you decide, folks can answer directly to you. Quite a few have already shared how to do fish-in cycling with a bit of matured media
    Maybe you can share about how to go about doing fishless and fish in cycling?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe you can share about how to go about doing fishless and fish in cycling?
    For fish-less cycling, you can check out http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...shless-Cycling. Lots of links there.
    For the source of ammonia, you can go to bakery ingredient shops. They have like ammonia for baking use. You can dose it into the water

For fish-in cycling, you can start of with some hardy fish like mollies/platty. Add only 1 or 2.
    Do very regular water change, like 10-20% everyday/every other day.

Very important for both method, get test kit to cover ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You can consider the API starter kit. That kit will also include test for pH.

The cycling process from ground 0 will take between 4-8 weeks. You may not want to make changes to your media already as I will suspect that your existing tank is re-cycling itself and the new tank....... well........ i will guess that all BB have already starved to death.