Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Red face Recommendations on Tank Makers as well as Lighting advice

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, I'm really interested in getting a 120x30x30cm tank as a new set up for my room.

However, I'm really skeptical about the varying degrees of clarity of crystal glass produced by different local tank makers.
    From what I've read and gathered, it seems like there are different grades to even crystal glass and its causing so much confusion for me.
    I'm unsure as to which tank makers to approach. I've heard there are ppg glass, where instead of a green tinge found in regular glass (Asahi), the ppg glass with
    standards comparable to ADA has a blue tinge.

I'm looking at the clarity of glass similar to that of ADA tanks, or something close to that. Anyone mind introducing a reputable maker that you've come across?

Secondly, Ive seen people using both 6500k and 10000k LED lighting for their tanks.
    Its offered in East Ocean online website.
    ODYSSEA LED Light 48" 96w 10000k + 6500k (Plant)
    ODYSSEA LED Light 48" 96w 10000k + blue

What is the difference between the 2 lighting? (Plant / Blue )
    When it mentions 10000k + 6500k, that means both spectrum of lights are present when you switch the lighting on?

The lighting comes with a mode 1 / mode 2. Does this simply lowers the amount of lighting given to tank?
    What are the advantages to this? The only advantage I can think of is lowering the amount of light during
    start up of a new tank to minimize the growth of algae.

Lastly would you recommend getting LED's or T5HO?
    Does LED's provide light so much more than T5HO tk?hat it gets glaring and uncomfortable for viewers to view the tan
    I intend to grow carpet grass such as HC yet I'm rather wary of using such strong lighting due to the depth of my tank.

Thanks! I'm new in this hobby and hope to learn more from you guys.

Cheers,
    Caleb
    Last edited by Caleb; 14th Dec 2015 at 23:25.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Recommendations on Tank Makers as well as Lighting advice

If you are wary of too much light when using high PAR lighting then I suggest you hang it? That way can control light intensity better. Another way is to blast CO2 20-30ppm but keep lighting hours low about 5-6 hours. Every tank is different so try-and-test-and-adapt accordingly.

I'm using Odyssea LED 96W for my 3 feet tank, 45cm height. There is also an additional Satellite Plus Pro LED light. So don't worry about too much light, so long as you know how to control and stabilise other important planted tank perimeters such as light duration, CO2, nutrients, temperature and flow; algae will be kept at bay as long as you focus on plant growth.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ppg glass is the one offered by aquatic avenue. Offer blue tinge and the quality is real good. Seen it for myself. They do have ada quality type of crystal glass and i have one ordered from them. Glass make is top notch. Can consider. That said, there are many other tank makers around. Had one made by CR aquarium before. Think quality is so-so only.
    I always recommend led. However, t5 still has its charm. Not high tech enough though.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You might want to consider getting from Green Chapter. Good to drop by and have a chat with them. The prices quoted have a slight premium to it, but still "reasonable".
    I got my 5ft from N30, but it was for Arowana, so it was not the crystal glass type. But that said, it is still decent quality. You might want to drop by and talk to them. They are constantly fabricating tanks in the workshop, you can see actual customer units for reference

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Phillipians View Post
    Ppg glass is the one offered by aquatic avenue. Offer blue tinge and the quality is real good. Seen it for myself. They do have ada quality type of crystal glass and i have one ordered from them. Glass make is top notch. Can consider. That said, there are many other tank makers around. Had one made by CR aquarium before. Think quality is so-so only.
    I always recommend led. However, t5 still has its charm. Not high tech enough though.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk
    yah , the blue tinge is sexy.
    My current one is from CR, silicon work is so so .
    I think lights for planted need some specific spectrum , like some old era led lights the have all whites which is super bright but cannot really grow red plants .