Country
    Singapore

Suggestions needed for 45x21x26 (22L) Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Good Day to All!

Again is time for me to ask questions, gather feedback and comments for this upcoming project (my friends always said I'm full of questions haha, but that's how we learn).

I'm planning for my next project with 45x21x26 (22L) Tank. This tank will be placed on my work desk.

There are 3 types of setup in my mind:
    1) Planted with RCS
    2) Planted with Fish
    3) Sulawesi Shrimp (not sure can have plants?)

Why these 3 options?
    1) My house is warm, without fan, water temperature in my house is close to 30degree Celsius....Not sure if plants can do well?

2) Not sure will high tech works in this high temperature or will favor algae instead?

3) Take it as 30degreeC, can RCS survive and breed?

4) Not planning to use fan as evaporation may be a headache for small tank. But can anyone with such setup uses fan? Can share how much water needed to be top up a week?

5) I'm thinking of Sulawesi Shrimps in case plants and RCS is challenging in such situation. Can anyone share if is possible to keep Sulawesi Shrimp in such condition?

- What are some other suggestion?

- Can anyone share your successful setups?

Awaiting comments! Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Suggestions needed for 45x21x26 (22L) Tank

am a beginner to but my 2 cents

1) Depends on the type of plants you want to have and the equipment you have, example lights?
    2 & 4) You can just use a clip on fan if u really want high tech actually, just top up daily bit by bit if you have a proper filter shouldn't be too bad. (IIRC my 2 feet quite a while back i just top up 200-300 ml a day)
    3) No
    5) i think sulawesi water parameters are different and substrate ususally uses sand?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by skytan View Post
    am a beginner to but my 2 cents

1) Depends on the type of plants you want to have and the equipment you have, example lights?
    2 & 4) You can just use a clip on fan if u really want high tech actually, just top up daily bit by bit if you have a proper filter shouldn't be too bad. (IIRC my 2 feet quite a while back i just top up 200-300 ml a day)
    3) No
    5) i think sulawesi water parameters are different and substrate ususally uses sand?
    Thanks Skytan

1) I think in such setup, I can't really choose what plants I want, except those that can strive in such parameter.

As for equipment, probably Eden mini Canister, Up Aqua LED and CO2 injection if to go ahead with planted tank. And definitely with fertilizer dosing.

3) Oh >.<....

4) I used to run my fan 24/7 on my current 2 feet (100L) and probably I need at least 2 bottles of 1.5L distill water a week...I believe that will be a headache smaller tank?

5) Yes it will be totally different. I am exploring this choice as the first 2 choices may not be ideal. Maybe until someone share some success story =D

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi there,

My answer to your Sulawesi Tank. No deaths at all for my Sulawesi. All 8 of them striving inside. Can't see them from here as they're all hiding. My mistake of creating a hiding space for them.... oh well. They will come out once the lights off.

20151212_134828.jpg
    Learning new things everyday !!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just some suggestions...

Quote Originally Posted by kaen130 View Post
    1) My house is warm, without fan, water temperature in my house is close to 30degree Celsius....Not sure if plants can do well?
    Most plants can adapt and grow at around 30°C temperature, if you are unsure, just stick to the hardy types of plants like anubias or java ferns or the common mosses. My own indoor planted tanks average around 29-30°C during the warmer months and 28-29°C during the cooler months, the plants have been able to grow without problems.

I keep outdoor tanks and containers with plants like christmas moss, fissidens and anubias that sometimes hit up to 32°C during the hottest months and those plants still grow, so its possible for the hardier plant species to adapt.

2) Not sure will high tech works in this high temperature or will favor algae instead?
    High tech can work with warmer temperature tanks. Algae growth is due much more to the unbalance of light, Co2 and nutrients and the introduction of algae that hitchhike in on unquarantined/untreated plants. Temperature is much less of a factor in most cases.

That being said, if the parameters are unbalanced, higher temperatures do play a part in accelerating the metabolism and growth rate of algae, same as how most plants and livestock grow faster in warmer temperatures too... but if light, Co2 and nutrients are in balance, plants will grow more efficiently and outcompete the algae. So the focus should be keeping those parameters balanced first, then can look at temperature as a secondary factor.

3) Take it as 30degreeC, can RCS survive and breed?
    Its possible, but they would need to adapt to the warmer temperatures over a period of time (especially if they were bred and kept in cooler temperatures by the breeder or LFS). Make sure the shrimps are drip acclimated properly so that they can have sufficient time to transition to the warmer tank environment. Over the years i have had countless generations of cherry shrimps that live and breed in my tanks at 29-30°C without issues.

One important point to note though is that with warmer temperatures, water will hold less oxygen, so you do need to make sure it is well oxygenated, either by maintaining lots of surface agitation or having lots of fast growing plants in the tank to oxygenate the water.

4) Not planning to use fan as evaporation may be a headache for small tank. But can anyone with such setup uses fan? Can share how much water needed to be top up a week?
    If you find that your tank temperature is too high, an aquarium fan can help reduce the overall tank temperature by up to 2-3°C (depending on the surrounding ambient air temperature). The amount of evaporation depends on the air flow and surface area of the tank, usually the higher the cooling rate the higher the evaporation rate.

In my case, i have experienced installing a clip-on 12cm size aquarium fan which managed to cool one of my 2ft tanks from 29°C to 27°C, but everyday i had to top up almost 1 liter of water. So thats the trade-off with using fans.

Additional methods which can help is to utilize lower-heat emitting equipment (ie. LED lights, more energy efficient filters) and shifting your tank to a cooler area of the room or home (ie. away from windows or walls that face sunlight), the placement of the tank can make a big difference in maintaining lower temperatures through the day. Sometimes just by shifting a tank to a cooler area and using less-heat emitting equipment, it could already drop the water temperature by 1°C (or even 2°C) and that could reduce the need for extra cooling measures.

5) I'm thinking of Sulawesi Shrimps in case plants and RCS is challenging in such situation. Can anyone share if is possible to keep Sulawesi Shrimp in such condition?
    Sulawesi shrimps could be a interesting option to go for with your intended setup, their natural habitat is warm waters so our local temperatures aren't an issue. Do note that there are different species of the sulawesi shrimps and they have varying grades of difficulty in care. Some require very specific parameters to live and breed.

So far i've found that the Sulawesi dennerle (aka cardinal/white socks) tend to be the easiest to keep. I currently have a breeding colony running for a few months which has grown to around 60+ shrimps housed in a dedicated 2ft low-profile/32 liter tank (its a simple setup using inert sand and black lava rocks with some anubias, mini fissidens and floating plants). They can adapt quite well to a range of parameters (slightly alkaline pH is ideal for them, even neutral to slightly acidic pH is possible if they are gradually acclimated to it). But just like all shrimps, the tank still has to be fully cycled and well filtered with stable parameters for them to successfully live and breed over the long term.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 23rd Dec 2015 at 16:21.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Mameshrimps View Post
    Hi there,

My answer to your Sulawesi Tank. No deaths at all for my Sulawesi. All 8 of them striving inside. Can't see them from here as they're all hiding. My mistake of creating a hiding space for them.... oh well. They will come out once the lights off.

20151212_134828.jpg
    Thanks for sharing, more confident with Sulawesi
    Setup now

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Just some suggestions...

Most plants can adapt and grow at around 30°C temperature, if you are unsure, just stick to the hardy types of plants like anubias or java ferns or the common mosses. My own indoor planted tanks average around 29-30°C during the warmer months and 28-29°C during the cooler months, the plants have been able to grow without problems.....

Sulawesi shrimps could be a interesting option to go for with your intended setup, their natural habitat is warm waters so our local temperatures aren't an issue......
    Thanks for sharing the possibility and potential problems.

1) don't think I want to go ahead with fan...
    2) For planted with Shrimps, seems like limited plants I can go with and a lot of balancing to play with...

*Just a question: in your own opinion, which is easier to maintain, planted with RCS or Sulawesi?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Both are easy to maintain. I have a RCS tank in my office and my Sulawesi tank at home. Both are easy to maintain.

Cheers
    Learning new things everyday !!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

*Just a question: in your own opinion, which is easier to maintain, planted with RCS or Sulawesi?
    Personally i would still consider RCS easier to keep and breed, mainly due to their tolerance to a much wider range of water parameters and temperatures. In addition, they are easily available at all LFS.

Sulawesi shrimps require a narrower range of water parameters to live and breed well, so they still do need abit of extra care and attention. That being said, species like the dennerle/white socks are perhaps the easier variants to keep, i find that if they are acclimated well and the tank parameters are stable and suitable for them, they will also prosper.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

RCS - red cherry shrimp is among the easiest shrimp to take care of. I just dump a few of them into a plastic container in which I keep my trimmed moss/fern, and now I got plenty, enough to feed my betta.
    Different from CRS (crystal red shrimp), RCS prefer high temp 28-30oC, so dont worry.