Country
    Singapore

New Hobbyists - Cycling Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Greetings fellow members,

The intention of this thread is to further assist new hobbyists in establishing their tank properly. Too many times I have seen repeated questions about livestock dying due to unsuitable water parameters or uncycled tank.

I have restarted my tank 3-4 times this year, each with certain costly mistake before recently successfully establishing a shrimp tank.

Im gonna give a simple breakdown of what u need to be aware of before dumping ur livestock into the tank, only to see them die within the next few days.

Water parameters:

Issue 1. TDS (Total Dissolvable Solid)
    Comprises of inorganic salts & small amounts of organic matter that are dissolved in water. Every tank parameter differs from the rest. Imagine dumping ur fishes u bought from a high TDS tank to ur newly established tank with low TDS. That would result a 'shock' to ur livestock when dumping them in without proper acclimation. Sensitive livestock would be the first to perish if that happens.

Remedy 1.
    Research a bit to check the proper TDS range ur livestock is suitable in. Commit water change to lower ur TDS & avoid pouring chemicals into ur tank.

There's a TDS meter u can actually use to measure the TDS level of ur tank. Just ensure that ur meter is properly calibrated before using

Issue 2. PH
    Relatively simple, certain fishes or invertebrates survive in different PH levels, less alkaline or more alkaline. Hobbyists intending to keep sensitive livestock should take note of this.

Remedy 2.
    For livestocks that require higher PH, u may consider adding coral chips/crushed corals.
    To lower ur PH to a suitable level, do water change over the next few days. Be advised to treat ur tap water before doing so. U can purchase a test kit to check the levels of ur PH.

Issue 3. Chlorine/Chloramine
    Any trace of these compounds in ur water, it means that ur tank is probably screwed. It kills the beneficial bacteria aka BB in ur tank that is required to break down ammonia and nitrite in nitrate. Without sufficient BB, ur tank will never be cycled no matter how long u wait.

Remedy 3.
    For tanks using tap water, please use a water dechlorinator and leave the water alone for at least 24hrs before adding to ur main tank. For people using distilled water, please remember to replenish the mineral content.

Issue 4. Nitrite and Ammonium
    To determine whether ur tank is properly cycled. U need to test ur water for these 2 variables. A fully cycled tank should have 0 ppm for nitrite and ammonium. Livestock will suffer from ammonia poisoning, red gills. Yes, it means ur fishes are suffering. Likewise, sensitive livestock will die off quick.

Remedy 4.
    If u have livestock in tank, haul them out of the tank immediately. Dont subject them to unnecessary torture. Ask around the forums, to get a cycled bio media from another hobbyist to kick start the cycling of ur tank. It helps to establish ur tank a little faster as compared to starting from scratch. Make sure to dose Beneficial Bacteria periodically.

Issue 4. Nitrate
    Less harmful product, broken down from ammonia and nitrite. Being less harmful doesnt mean u can neglect this variable. Bear in mind to keep ur nitrate as low as possible.

Remedy 4.
    Simply do a water change or add fauna into ur tank to absorb the excess nutrients in ur tank.

Useful equipments.

1. Test Kits: API or Sera test kits are commonly used

2. Dechlorinator: Seachem Prime widely used

3. Beneficial Bacteria: Im using Sera BB. There's a vast list out there, do some research.

4. TDS meter & TDS calibration solution: Order online or get from LFS.*

5. Bio Media: Acts as a house for BB to grow in. Sponge filters also considered to be a media. Im using Seachem Biomatrix. Pretty reliable if u ask me.

Anyway, this is just some of the things u should take note of. I will do some periodic updating from time to time. There's still a long list that I did not mention but will suffice in starting a new tank.

PS: Im still pretty new to this hobby, please dont flame me if i do miss anything out. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: New Hobbyists - Cycling Tank

Acclimating Shrimps

Shrimps are sensitive creatures, especially to fluctuations in water parameters & condition. NEVER dump ur shrimps from the packaging straight into the tank without properly acclimating them. Acclimate the shrimps to allow them to adapt to the new water conditions & lower the chances of mortality. Simply follow as per the instructions below.

1. Get an empty container, fill it up with ur tank water & get a tube with a plastic connector (the ones to control water flow)
    2. Cut the breather bag and transfer them into a container
    3. Suck the tube, allowing the water to flow from the container (tank water) to the container holding ur shrimps (LFS water)
    3. Adjust the water flow to ensure that it does not flow too quickly into the container
    4. Ratio of Tank water to LFS water will be 2:1
    5. Leave the shrimps in the container for at least 40 minutes to an hour
    6. Net into ur shrimps gently & dump them into ur tank