Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How to get rid of dragonfly nymph

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, spotted a small dragonfly nymph in my tank today, perhaps a baby. Tried to get it out but it swam into my plants and I can't seem to spot it. What's the best way to get these guys out?

I bought a bag of shrimps couple of days ago and the bag has some hornwort in it. Must have hitchhiked onto that or maybe there are some eggs stuck there.

You can see the tail of the nymph sticking out from under the leaf.

Rgds
    Z

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to get rid of dragonfly nymph

I used to suck them out with a small syphon.

I made the syphon by attaching a 18" hard plastic tubing to a 1m length of normal air tubing. (Lengths are according to your tank depth and height).

The hard plastic tubing is a bit hard to get, but is available at C328.

Use the syphon to suck out dirt, etc. Very useful.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I can't spot that guy anymore. Will try your method if I see that nymph again. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Zep View Post
    I can't spot that guy anymore. Will try your method if I see that nymph again. Thanks.
    It's hard to spot them. You need to shake/agitate the plants with a net or something. Normally they will just remain still. With them around, your fish will behave oddly and stressed.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have got 2 methods which 1 is by luck the other sure work but lots of work to be done.

I used to have this prob initially as i am new too. One day i was upset that i found them 1 after 1. I did a 50% wc with a sudden drop of water temperature. Ard 5 - 7 degree cel from my tank. The sudden drop in water temp causes my shrimps to feel stressed. Some of the shrimps changed darker coloured, some motionless like stunt, some going crazy swimming at the top of the water. About 1 min later, i saw afew damselflies or dragonflies nymphs swimming to the surface of the water.

The 2nd method is to catch all ur shrimps and leave the shrimplets or those not able to catch de inside the tank. Now this step split into 2 portion. If u got the time and patience, introduce some fish to clear them for u. If u don have the time to wait, introduce co2 with heavily over dose to wipe out all oxygen in the tank.

Method 1 i found out myself, method 2 i read it online somewhere. And the khakis above mentioned are already what most people does. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for all the suggestions. Through a real stroke of luck, I managed to spot that critter while admiring my tank. Then I used a tweezer to catch him out.

He is going to end up being a nice snack for my RES.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It may not be a snack. I suspect they are harmful to the fish if they attempt to eat it. That is why I noticed my fish were behaving abnormally stressed for no reason when there's one of these in the tank. Also, note that these dragonfly nymphs grow in streams which have fish in them.