Country
    Singapore

MC melting and not creep.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,
    kinda puzzle with my mc. I planted them in my 1ft cube tank 2~3weeks ago. Co2, ADA soil,HOB and Aquael leddy smart (plant) version. I saw alot of rotting and a few mc growing upwards only. normally how long to know if they creeping (2~3mth)? I read from some bro here that they using UP-Aqua Pro Z Series in their low tech tank and their mc creeping.

Up-aqua
    • Voltage: 220-240V
    • Wattage: 10.7W
    • 0.06w x 90 LED bulb
    • Slim and attractive design
    • 8000K White
    • Energy saving and long life
    • Environmentally friendly

Aquael
    The powerful 6-W LED emits light with a colour temperature of 6500 K (SUNNY) or 8000 K (PLANT).

What able I missing?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: MC melting and not creep.

Since you recently planted the MC and now seeing alot of them rotting and some growing upwards, its a sign that the plants are probably still in transition mode... just remove the melted parts, trim the taller MC and replant them to spread out the coverage.

Eventually as they adapt to the submersed conditions they will start to adopt a creeping growth pattern. How long it takes depends alot on the balance between light, Co2 and nutrients. So just maintain those factors at ample levels to support the MC growth.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If trim or remove... think at least half gone

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Shrimp View Post
    If trim or remove... think at least half gone
    Well, the melted parts are never going to recover, they will just rot and pollute the tank, hence its best to remove them. You also need to trim the taller MC and replant the tops as they will not suddenly lay down on their own too.

If you want to speed up the carpet coverage, consider buying more MC and planting them. Its all a trade-off, either you plant less and have to wait longer time, or plant more and then can wait shorter time.

All this is part and parcel of growing out and creating a carpet of plants, even after they grow out you will still need to do alot of regular trimming and pruning anyways, its a fair bit of work maintaining a plant carpet and keeping it looking nice, not an easy task. Just have to get used to the underwater gardening work.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I just wondering if its the light not good enough. Buy more mc plants to plant in but keeps melting also faint. Just added some fertilizer hopefully some improvement

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Think almost 3/4 must remove

Feedback Score
    Images

Hi Ice Shrimp, hope you don't mind I tap on your thread...I have some question on my MC too, it's creeping but observed that some of the leaves have black edges and slowly deteriorate... any advice to improve? Also trim away?

Sent from my HM 1S using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

No worries. Hmmmm. Mine also has darken leaves too

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just removed a rotting patch

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Not sure why pic unable to upload via phone.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by gimhchng View Post
    Hi Ice Shrimp, hope you don't mind I tap on your thread...I have some question on my MC too, it's creeping but observed that some of the leaves have black edges and slowly deteriorate... any advice to improve? Also trim away?
    Leaves with black edges are in deteriorated condition, they will not recover too, just trim and remove them as part of regular plant maintenance.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm growing mc in low tech tank with excel. I have experienced a period (3-4 weeks after filled up water) where most of the mc starts to pale off and slowly melting away. But after i've added yamato shrimp, everyday i back frm work, i'll definitely see quite a few mc floating around the tank (damn it shrimp). But 1-2 weeks later, the mc start to looks better each day (kudos to the damn Edward scissor-shrimps). So like what bro UA saying, ur mc probably still in transition state.
    By the way, my 1ft tank setup is very similar to urs as i'm using up-aqua z-series 30cm light (recommended by bro UA) as well. My mc is growing well (except the transition period) for the past 3-months, starting frm 2-weeks of dsm till now in submersed state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I too have a yamato but a cordy, 2 assasi assassin snail and 2 otto but have removed cordy and the snails. Found patches of floating mc. Well, hopefully after increasing co2 and added fert helps. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

This morning found afew tetra pale and hiding. Dunno is it CO2 and fert too much. I saw the co2 indicate turn green

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Co2 drop checker showing green should still indicate okay levels for livestock (assuming the reading is correct and you used pre-mixed indicator solution, or 4dkh water to mix with reagent, not aquarium water).

Ferts usually don't affect fishes that much too, unless you massively overdose alot of it at one go.

Maybe check your tank's ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels, see if any of those parameters spiked up and accumulated to high levels, those can affect the fishes.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My tetra will turn pale during night time when all lights are off, and they will like blur and inactive during that time, as they were like sleeping. They become active and get full color on every morning and daytime.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Co2 drop checker showing green should still indicate okay levels for livestock (assuming the reading is correct and you used pre-mixed indicator solution, or 4dkh water to mix with reagent, not aquarium water).

Ferts usually don't affect fishes that much too, unless you massively overdose alot of it at one go.

Maybe check your tank's ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels, see if any of those parameters spiked up and accumulated to high levels, those can affect the fishes.
    HI UA, yes I used 4dkh water as instructed by you on other post. Maybe I should recheck my water readings again since its done some time ago

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerX5521 View Post
    My tetra will turn pale during night time when all lights are off, and they will like blur and inactive during that time, as they were like sleeping. They become active and get full color on every morning and daytime.

Yday counted all still alive. hahaha Some not as colorful as it was previously. I will monitor again. THank you

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Ice Shrimp

don't be dishearted.. and don't be soft hearted...
    dead plants try to remove faster... anyway those brown ones won't come to live...

It might take up to 1 month transition period.. initially mine was covered with bba see the link below.. I added higher dose of excel to try kill the algea, as I do not have any livestock and the algea outbreak was quite a large area, I did not spot dose but add 2 to 3 caps of excel in my tank.. eventually the plants took over the algea and if you see my recent post of the tank, it has already covered most of the foreground.

check out my MC growth here

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I suspect my lightings and thinking of changing to T5. From what bro all saying i might need to remove almost half

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

'Sometimes' the dark thingy at the leaves is bba jr , you may cut it and observe closely under the light if you could see hairy thing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast