Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Red face What type of plant can i plant on this substrate

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi pros, can anyone recommend which type of plant can i plant with this kind of substrate either for Carpeting and normal plant ??
    12722382_1206044666079886_1923513712_o.jpg
    -plants without co2
    i do not hav co2 in my tank
    -plants without high ferts
    as well as ferts

i personally wanted to plant DHgrass but not sure whether it is suitable ornah. Recommend thx !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: What type of plant can i plant on this substrate

Oh dear Wee8! It seems that you've picked the wrong type of substrate for hairgrass. Hairgrass roots are very delicate and short so big gravel won't really do them good because the roots may get crushed and the hairgrass might constantly float to the surface of the water due to the big gaps between your substrate. However, i do see finer substrate underneath your coarse substrate. Is that Amazonian Aquasoil or similar Aquasoil? Because since you are not going for a high tech planted set up (CO2 setup), there needs to be nutrients in the soil unless you are deciding to use root tabs. However, it is quite possible to plant bigger plants like Annubias (spelling unsure) because their root system is deeper and is less likely to be uprooted.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It this setup is new, you may consider restarting and adding new substrate such as Aquasoil and removing the old substrate (coarse substrate) if you really want to carpet your aquarium. You may also opt to grow driftwood plants instead as driftwood plants do not require good soil to grow.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Plain gravel is not suitable for growing carpet plants. With your current setup, you can only choose low demand plant (moss, java fern, anubias etc). These are plants that take nutrient from the water column. If you want to have foreground plants, change your gravel to substrate like ADA amazonia. Alot of bro use this soil and it recommended.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

happydanio123 : my god..im such a newbie xD. Thanks for the advice though ! this is my first tank. Since i have the wrong substrate in my tank, i think i will just keep it simple and go with the plants which grows on driftwood.

Dont mind can u let me know what are the essential needs for a nano planted tank ?

like the type of soil, or do i need ferts underneath the soil, or layering of soil...
    its so confuse as i search through the web with different kind of answers...which do u recommend to do ? maybe i will have a second nano tank if i have the capital $$

tqtq

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

alright Orky ! thanks for the advice too! appreciate !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by happydanio123 View Post
    It this setup is new, you may consider restarting and adding new substrate such as Aquasoil and removing the old substrate (coarse substrate) if you really want to carpet your aquarium. You may also opt to grow driftwood plants instead as driftwood plants do not require good soil to grow.

happydanio123 : my god..im such a newbie xD. Thanks for the advice though ! this is my first tank. Since i have the wrong substrate in my tank, i think i will just keep it simple and go with the plants which grows on driftwood.

Dont mind can u let me know what are the essential needs for a nano planted tank ?

like the type of soil, or do i need ferts underneath the soil, or layering of soil...
    its so confuse as i search through the web with different kind of answers...which do u recommend to do ? maybe i will have a second nano tank if i have the capital $$

tqtq

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi there Wee8! Actually, if you are going with driftwood plants, you dont need soil ferts. However if you want to plant rooted plants, you can try soil ferts. Soil ferts come in many forms. The most common being root tabs and fert powder (like those packets of power-like substances that you can find at fish shops). If your tank is mostly planted with Driftwood plants, I suggest using Root Tabs because the nutrients will be mote concentrated on the region where you are planting and the wastage of ferts will be less. To plant root tabs, just insert the tabs under the substrate next to the root of the plant. The ferts will slowly release nutrients to the substrate. However, make sure that the Root tab is from a reputable brand because if the root tab causes fluctuations in the water column, it might promote algae growth and stress your fish. You may also need to dose regular doses of liquid ferts since driftwood plants need liquid nutrients. You can try seachem ferts or Azoo. However, I have never used liquid ferts because I am using Aquasoil and I don't have any driftwood plants.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The essentials for a planted tank are quite simple. You need good. lighting (try to get a good brand of light that has high lumen), suitable water conditions (which means all water parameters must be in the "safe" zone) because since Nano tanks are really small, any drastic changes in the water column will have a greater impact on the fish. (Imagine a drop of red ink falling into a big bucket and a small bucket of water. The water in the smaller bucket will have a higher concentration of red ink) Also, you need good filtration (go by the rule: make sure your filter can filter the water in your tank six times in an hour. To find out how much water your filter can filter, check the flowrate of your filter. For example, if your tank is 20l, and if your filter has a flowrate of 120 litres per hour, then the filter is adequate)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

The essentials for a planted tank are quite simple. You need good. lighting (try to get a good brand of light that has high lumen), suitable water conditions (which means all water parameters must be in the "safe" zone) because since Nano tanks are really small, any drastic changes in the water column will have a greater impact on the fish. (Imagine a drop of red ink falling into a big bucket and a small bucket of water. The water in the smaller bucket will have a higher concentration of red ink) Also, you need good filtration (go by the rule: make sure your filter can filter the water in your tank six times in an hour. To find out how much water your filter can filter, check the flowrate of your filter. For example, if your tank is 20l, and if your filter has a flowrate of 120 litres per hour, then the filter is adequate)

Tq so much for the advices happydanio!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Hi there Wee8! Actually, if you are going with driftwood plants, you dont need soil ferts. However if you want to plant rooted plants, you can try soil ferts. Soil ferts come in many forms. The most common being root tabs and fert powder (like those packets of power-like substances that you can find at fish shops). If your tank is mostly planted with Driftwood plants, I suggest using Root Tabs because the nutrients will be mote concentrated on the region where you are planting and the wastage of ferts will be less. To plant root tabs, just insert the tabs under the substrate next to the root of the plant. The ferts will slowly release nutrients to the substrate. However, make sure that the Root tab is from a reputable brand because if the root tab causes fluctuations in the water column, it might promote algae growth and stress your fish. You may also need to dose regular doses of liquid ferts since driftwood plants need liquid nutrients. You can try seachem ferts or Azoo. However, I have never used liquid ferts because I am using Aquasoil and I don't have any driftwood plants.

i see....but i have cherry shrimps in my tank...if im not mistaken liquid ferts shoudn't be mix with them coz they r sensitive to it right ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Then I guess you can't use Liquid Fertilizers! Then, your plants need to depend on nutrients in the water column.