Country
    Singapore

Too many charity shows?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Seems like it's never ending....one after another, with cleverly edited tear jerking stories and artists take unnecessary risk (and they have my sympathy) for monkey shows.

Is there a beter way to use the air time, media space in print advertisements, celebrity's time and resource for a more effective cause?

What are your thoughts on this?

And also the admin charges on your donations?

Is the spirit of charity diluted by the greed for the chance to win a free condo, cash or car?

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i give to charities/nature groups who don't have $$ even for publicity. To help those with dialysis, please consider KDF (Kidney Dialysis Foundation), which has no budget for big shows... only an occasional modest newsletter that tells in straightforward terms how its patients are benefiting.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There was a previous controversy about NKF having enough stashed aside to operate unfunded for 3 years? Or perhaps it was another charity organisation. Can't quite recall the details, but it was on The Straits Times. However, I do recall a certain LFS boasting about the beautiful marine tanks they do for NKF. Nothing short of Dupla and Teco equipment.

I didn't even know about the Kidney Dialysis Foundation (KDF). Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    There was a previous controversy about NKF having enough stashed aside to operate unfunded for 3 years? Or perhaps it was another charity organisation. Can't quite recall the details, but it was on The Straits Times. However, I do recall a certain LFS boasting about the beautiful marine tanks they do for NKF. Nothing short of Dupla and Teco equipment.

I didn't even know about the Kidney Dialysis Foundation (KDF). Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,
    I donated many years back during the first few donations after which I stop giving. I sympatised the victims but I guess I shouldn't encourage the gaberment to cast the "problem" to the people. I will donate again if they go dollar for dollar.

About the administration fee. I was in Telecommunication line for 2 yrs in KL. I believe they should just charge the organising committee a flat rate of the cost instead of "leeching" their profit into it. However, if they don't, why do you think their share prices rise every time there is a charity show .
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I also commented about it on Petfrd.com

Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    It's kind of stupid to have this "charity show" thing going around. I mean... It's like every year, and more and more charities are popping up with their shows. Donating once a year is good enough, but keep asking people to donate three or four times a year and I'll probably not.

I cringe whenever those actors cry, plead and beg for help on the TV. NKF should be already quite rich; this show has been going on for some years now, with millions donated, and the target number being raised every year.

Oh, bear in mind that there are other parties who benefit from your "donations" as well. The phone companies earn the most out of those "for every call you make $x will be charged to your account"

Charity should be done out of one's will, not cajoled, pleaded, and worst, being charged for donations.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I just a letter from NKF yesterday, they were asking me support them and not believe all the negative articles about them, that 250,000+ people are benefiting from them. That they need to maintain a huge reserve for rainy days. And someting about my donations and taxing which I didn't understand at all. Are they trying to kid me? 5% of singaporeans are benefitting from NKF? Who are they? The winners from the lucky draws in the past shows? 5% of singaporeans need kidney dialysis? Huge reserves to spend on renovations and aquariums is it? Eff them, show me a full financial report of where their funds are used first.
    Oh, the rare old Whale, mid storm and gale. In his ocean home will be. A giant in might, where might is right. And King of the boundless sea.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Let's not target at NKF specifically. It's not a NKF bashing thread although I do agree with the comments posted above.

My mum, for one, actively supports the Ren Ci charity. However, even Ren Ci seems to have gone the glitzy way for canvassing for support. The incremental donations versus the negative sentiments generated seems unjustified.

And there's also the President's Charity, where a group of preselected charities will benefit from the donation drive.

Is it the complacency of the fund raisers to try a proven method and "milk the cow to death"? Or simply the fact that there is no better method....

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Agree with Benny. Let's not start getting personal with these organisations. We can't deny the fact that the less fortunate is indeed benefiting from them. Another true fact is, Singaporeans are mostly kind hearted, if not these shows would not have persisted, less to say increasing, after all these years. One can argue that the prize monies were the main thing the "donors" were after, but there are really those that donated sincerely.

It is indeed a tried-tested-proven way of getting the "dough" required to sustain their operations annually. I understand that these organisations are also required to submit their full financial reports yearly, to account for their collections vs expenses. If there were any hanky-panky, I believe the Govt will be the first to cease their operations immediately.

Similarly to Bro Goondoo, I do not feel good in letting the Telcos reaped a profit thru these shows. I didn't really pay attention to these charges till one year when they had dedicated lines for donors who wants to make 5 donations in one call. Imagine my horror when it was highlighted that you will still have to pay the charges for 5 calls although you had only made THAT ONE call.....

I was put off by it and had since stopped calling during these shows. There are several other avenues to donate anyway.

Yes, Telcos need to be paid for providing a service, but were the artists getting overtime pay practising and performing the stunts? Will the Telcos go into the red overnight just for providing such services for one night for free? Yes, they can say they have their overheads, equipment etc etc..... but who doesn't? Even the normal household has their own overhead to cover......

I was waiting (and still am) all these years to see when the Telcos will also start chipping in by announcing that they will donate half (if not all) of the fees they earn from these shows back to the organisations. Then maybe, I will start to pick up the phone again.
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score
    really feel that there are too many. I feel everyone who is in those shows are in for their own reasons.. the artist trying to fight for popularity, the sponsers trying to sell their projects, and some of the organizers may not be using the money in a way that convince me...

I think I better donate the money to those by the road sides
    Keen to volunteer yourself and your dog for the Animal Assisted Therapy program?
    Read here for more information

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hanleong
    really feel that there are too many. I feel everyone who is in those shows are in for their own reasons.. the artist trying to fight for popularity, the sponsers trying to sell their projects, and some of the organizers may not be using the money in a way that convince me...

I think I better donate the money to those by the road sides
    Every show the pretend that it is the last show, begging for the last call.... one year later, they are back again.... most of the time, the same people are back again doing for another organisation. I am really interested to know

1) if 100% of the raised amount (other then telco cuts) goes to the victims like Tsunami
    2) if TCS charge them for all the marketing etc
    3) if the management/employees take their pay from the donated funds and if so, how much are they paid, especially the top management.

Without these, I guess I will never pick up the phone.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...