Country
    Singapore

ID this stringy stuff growing among my moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Been noticing this stringy stuff that is growing among my moss the past couple of weeks.

Had the moss for close to 1.5yrs and only had this recently. Is this part of the moss? Or something else?

Anyone can provide an ID?

Thank you.

Rgds
    Z

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: ID this stringy stuff growing among my moss

That is Utricularia gibba, its a bladderwort type plant. Those pods on the stems are traps which the plants uses to catch tiny micro critters. Quite an interesting feature in an aquatic plant.

This plant usually hitchhikes in with other plants. Its relatively harmless, just that it can grow fast and tangle into your other plants (like in your case). If you don't like it, just have to manually remove it strand by strand.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wow, didn't know this can happen. Thanks UA for the ID.

I thought it was like part of the moss or something so I didn't do anything about it. Now it is getting to be a lot. And removing it strand by strand sounds daunting.

Maybe I should just throw out the whole lot of moss. And this is my shrimp tank so I hope it does not prey on the baby shrimplets.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

And I don't remember introducing any new plants in the tank for at least 6 months. I noticed this only a few weeks back. Wonder how it got to my tank. Maybe Through some new shrimps that I purchased.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, maybe a tiny strand could have got in on the net with the LFS water, then it steadily grow from there... or it could also have hitchiked in many months ago, but only now then it grew out enough to be noticeable.

Btw, don't throw it out so fast, harvest some of it and put up for sale or give away, there are some chaps who may be keen on it. They can be a useful feature for certain types of tanks.

Last time i used to put them into outdoor water pots which are too small for fishes, these plants can act as an alternative method to prevent mosquito breeding, as they can trap and consume mosquito larvae.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If it can trap mosquito larvae then will it trap shrimplets?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Zep View Post
    If it can trap mosquito larvae then will it trap shrimplets?
    I've not personally tested this plant with shrimplets (mine were previously only grown on their own in water pots), so can't really say for sure if they can trap newborn shrimplets too.

Though i have heard of people keeping these plants in shrimp tanks before, so i guess any negative impact on the shrimp population is probably relatively low.

It could be interesting to try keeping these plants with newborn shrimplets and see if any get trapped, do abit of experiment to find out.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Right. Maybe I will keep it there for a while to see how it goes. I still see shrimplets though. Thanks for all the advise UA.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Any bros interested in having some strands of utricularia gibba can pm me. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

They grow fast and gets entangled everywhere. It's very challenging to completely remove them as they break very easily and any tiny parts left in the water will start to grow again. Still trying to remove them after a month or so haha.