Thread: Newbie

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all. I am a newbie in planted tank. Intend to setup a simple 2 ft tank. Is under gravel filter advisable? Thanks advance for all the expert advise.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Newbie

If you are utilizing larger grain soil or gravel substrates (not fine sand) and adding non-rooted plants, like those tied to wood or rocks... then an under gravel filter/UGF system can be used.

However its not recommended if you plan to add rooted plants into the tank (especially those plants with extensive root structures), as over time the plant roots will grow into the UGF system and clog it up, then you will need to remove the entire substrate and UGF to unclog it, that will pretty much be a complete overhaul of the tank. Thats one of the reasons why UGF systems are not as popular for planted tank setups.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thanks. So what is the recommended filter? I plan for simple setup and have some plant that don't required CO2.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

By the way what is this type of plant? Intend to have similar setup
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It'll be best to use a canister filter, something with a flow rate of around 600-700 l/ph... perhaps an Eheim Classic 2215 (620 l/ph), or Professional 2224 (700 l/ph), or Ecco Pro 300 (750 l/ph). Any of those models will filter a 2ft planted tank well and generate sufficient flow and circulation for the plants.

The carpet plant in your posted photo looks like Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' (aka MC). You can read up more on the plant in this link: http://tropica.com/en/plants/plantde...8025TC%29/4442
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks. MC needs CO2? Was told by LFS is not necessay

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Without CO2 it will take a very long time to spread

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Instead of CO2 cylinder, there's somehing called liquid CO2. Am I right? Sorry for noob question

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

There's also tablet CO2 but CO2 cylinder is better gauge on how much to supply.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Post Re: Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Jlai View Post
    Thanks. MC needs CO2? Was told by LFS is not necessay
    Well, MC can grow and carpet without Co2 injection in low tech tank setups... just that the overall growth rate will be much slower. The difference can be waiting just a few weeks (with Co2 injection) versus many months (without Co2 injection) to get a nice lush carpet. Just have to be more patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlai View Post
    Instead of CO2 cylinder, there's somehing called liquid CO2. Am I right? Sorry for noob question
    There are products like Seachem Excel which are a liquid chemical alternative to Co2, hence usually referred to as liquid carbon.

Liquid carbon is generally still not as effective as actual Co2 injection, but they can help to encourage plant growth. The advantages are that its cheaper initially for smaller tanks and doesn't affect pH... through its disadvantages are that you have to remember to dose it everyday to be effective, it usually works out more expensive on the long run (especially for larger tanks) and certain delicate plants can be sensitive to the chemical (the active ingredient is usually glutaraldehyde, which is commonly used to disinfect medical equipment, and its very toxic in higher concentrations).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks bro Emperios and UA for the advise.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I don't have aged water. Can I just add water directly from the tap + anti chlorine after I setup the soil and plant the MC? Sorry for all this noob question as I want to be sure. After all first try on planted tank. Thanks in advance again

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Aging of water is not necessary... I don't age water and I just use water straight from tap.
    Get a fairly good anti-chlorine with anti-chloramine should be sufficient.