Country
    Singapore

Tips to covert emerse to submerge for plants

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I ask this rather silly question "how to convert emmerse to submerge" at AA, and was given a rather "slap in the face" answer by Gab. Not that I deserve it but I think noobs like me would really like to know what are the tricks and tips to employ.

Well, Gab's answer was "just put inside water lor"

Hahaha.

Ok, besides the obvious plant it underneath water completely, these are what I have done as well

1. Inject root tabs near the new plant.
    2. Wrap the new plant with a thin layer of sponge coated with ferrapol (for stem plants)
    3. Up iron fert by 200% of normal usage
    4. keep new plants away from inflow/outflow
    5. For Tropica and the rest tubby tissue plants, i will use a tow huay tub and set up new substrate to replant the plants into it before submerging the entire tau huay tub into the tank. This is to allow me to use Ferrapol in alternate layers on the new substrate to encourage root development.

Anyone else got anymore tips and tricks to share? I welcome comments on my methods too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Tips to covert emerse to submerge for plants

I am about to start up a new tank as well and have some experience over the years. Besides the fertilizer regime that you have listed, I think you are missing two very important components - CO2 and lighting.

Plants that were grown exposed to terrestrial atmosphere have easy access to CO2. Plants in submerged have not. So a slightly more liberally injection of CO2 will be needed to help the plants convert. During this period if you do not give sufficient CO2, then high light intensity plus long light duration will induce algae such as GSA or something nastier such as BBA/BGA.

Hence the 2nd key component is lighting. You have not shared your lighting regime. For me, I usually go on the cautious side and do 6 hours photo period instead of 8 hours. Unfortunately, I did not invest in a light metering system but I have done planted tanks for the last 10 years so I usually observe my tank when I get home every evening to check out.

If I spot GSA, I asked myself a few questions - how soon did the GSA turn up? If it turned up within 2 to 3 days in my 60cm x 30cm x 30cm tank, it means the lighting is too strong. I will reduce the intensity. Then I clean the glass and observe again.

After adjusting, if the GSA again appear within 2 to 3 days, it means two things - either the intensity is still too strong or the photo period is too long. At this stage, I usually adjust the photo period. My favourite period to use to control algae and still maintain reasonable plant growth is between 4 and 6 hours.

After adjusting, I will observe again. If I reduce light by too much, I will start to see brown algae. Usually, I will then up the intensity but maintain photo period. As a rule of thumb, so long as the area of GSA is no larger than a 50 cent coin and only appear very visible at the end of 1 week (when I do water change and maintenance), it means I have got the lighting setting correct. I also allow for natural sunlight falling onto my fish tank as a potential cause of GSA. Since I cannot prevent the sunlight, I accept a little bit of GSA. But I cannot accept BBA/BGA as their presence usually mean water quality problems.

Personally, I don't like to overdose Iron as I find that I do get algae. So I usually dose as per the bottle instructions twice a week. That's usually enough for my tiger lotus.

Finally, the most important thing in this hobby is - patience. Plants don't talk back. But they do show whether the conditions are correct or not through their physical appearances. The trouble is - these symptoms take time to appear. So I usually don't like to adjust too many parameters at the same time because then I don't know what work and what did not.

I hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

To start with - buy healthy plants; plants in weak conditions due to being on the shelf for too long adapt more poorly; less stored energy for conversion.

By far the greatest factor for emersed plants going underwater is gaseous exchange. I.e. it's much harder for plants to attain O2/CO2 in water than in air. And these two make the most impact to ease transition stress. Cooler water helps by enabling easier saturation for gases and lowers plant metabolism rates, and having well-rounded nutrients available helps, but these are secondary. Tissue cultures have undifferentiated plant mass (the plants do not have emersed leaves) - so all should convert quickly and easily, though sensitivities of individual plants should still be considered. (avoid planting UG in fresh aquasoil for example).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

SG Discus, Xiaozhuang.
    Thanks for the tips.

Light wise, I'm using a beamworks 60 all white and a aquazonic miracle red for aro.

The beamworks for my viewing pleasure while the aro light for a stronger blue red array for plant growth. Co2 wise, its 1bps or until the indicator turns lime green. Then I'll bring it down to 0.5bps. I don't use any airstone at all so i rely on my hangon filter and fan for surface agitation.

I get my fair share of gsa, in fact too much for my liking but i have a dozen of different erios which i read requires high light. And i also keep quite a few red plants, r. macendra, reneiki, ludwigia etc. So iron just dose more anyway

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sort of a mixed feelings to report back here on the recent conversion for a new batch of plants.

1. Red E.Quin x 3 = 33.33% success, 2 melted away.
    2. E. Cinereum x 4 = 100% success
    3. E. Sp. China x 2 = 100% success
    3. 1 tub of Tropica Rotala Macendra = 100% success
    4. 1 tub of Hortilab Alternatera Reneiki = 100% success

The failures cost more than the success. Each E.Quin was $25. I would recommend getting specimens from GC ($25 each). AA has a variety of quality and size, priced at $40 each. Aquarist has potted versions which has more heads per plant ($150 each ). For those who are challenging yourself whether you are a Green Finger, you can still try your skills using the emerse form of E.Quin from the usual few (C328, Seaview, Polyart Yishun etc)

My water parameters during this bout of conversion

PH : 6.5
    KH : 3-4
    GH :7
    Temp : 22.8 to 26 degrees celsius

Fertilizer regime
    Seachem full range 2 times recommended dosage

Light (8 hours photoperiod)
    1 x Beamworks all white
    1 x Miracle Arowana Red

Fauna
    15 x Amano
    15 x Oto
    15 x SAE
    10 x nerrites
    4 x ranger pleco

Filtration system
    2 x hangon filters (1 biofilter medium, 1 mechanical filter wool)

CO2 system glass diffuser (8 hours timer with CO2)
    Drop indicator turns lime green

Surface Agitation
    1 x cooling fan
    filter outlet from 2 hangon filters.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Since you are using hang on filter, are there enough water circulation? Are the 2 melted EQ in water flow dead spot?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Realcaster View Post
    Since you are using hang on filter, are there enough water circulation? Are the 2 melted EQ in water flow dead spot?
    Sorry, forget to mention also i got a circulation pump from one end of the tank to the other. The e.quins were planted near (but not affected by) the pump.

My conclusion is that the roots systems were too short. Just now lunch break go C328 saw a new eQuin. Root system quite developed...but like i said, why buy emerse when there is submerge at same price?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi plantedpot, thank you for taking time to report back. It will serve as a good reference point.

Quote Originally Posted by plantedpot View Post
    Sort of a mixed feelings to report back here on the recent conversion for a new batch of plants.

1. Red E.Quin x 3 = 33.33% success, 2 melted away.
    2. E. Cinereum x 4 = 100% success
    3. E. Sp. China x 2 = 100% success
    3. 1 tub of Tropica Rotala Macendra = 100% success
    4. 1 tub of Hortilab Alternatera Reneiki = 100% success

The failures cost more than the success. Each E.Quin was $25. I would recommend getting specimens from GC ($25 each). AA has a variety of quality and size, priced at $40 each. Aquarist has potted versions which has more heads per plant ($150 each ). For those who are challenging yourself whether you are a Green Finger, you can still try your skills using the emerse form of E.Quin from the usual few (C328, Seaview, Polyart Yishun etc)

My water parameters during this bout of conversion

PH : 6.5
    KH : 3-4
    GH :7
    Temp : 22.8 to 26 degrees celsius

Fertilizer regime
    Seachem full range 2 times recommended dosage

Light (8 hours photoperiod)
    1 x Beamworks all white
    1 x Miracle Arowana Red

Fauna
    15 x Amano
    15 x Oto
    15 x SAE
    10 x nerrites
    4 x ranger pleco

Filtration system
    2 x hangon filters (1 biofilter medium, 1 mechanical filter wool)

CO2 system glass diffuser (8 hours timer with CO2)
    Drop indicator turns lime green

Surface Agitation
    1 x cooling fan
    filter outlet from 2 hangon filters.