Country
    Singapore

Problem with Marimo ball

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Good evening everyone,
    I have a huge problem with my Marimo ball currently. While i rinse through my Marimo ball, it look like it could not go back to its original (round)shape anymore. When I was rinsing through water, it totally look like flat grass patch. The color observed was dark greenish/ brownish. Anybody out there could advise me whether it's a common issue/ any thing I could do to make it go back to its original color? Thank you!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Problem with Marimo ball

If your marimo ball can "unroll" and become like a flat patch, then its not a natural marimo ball. Its a hand-made version whereby pieces were torn from an existing marimo ball, then hand-rolled into a ball, hence it has seams and can unroll. Not much you can do other than to hand roll it back into a ball shape each time.

As for the brownish patch, thats usually due to lack of light going to that area (especially if its sitting in one position for prolonged periods of time). Just rotate it in the tank so that the brown patch can face the light. It should recover and become green again in time.

To ensure consistent green color on marimo balls, regularly rotate them so that all sides get light. In nature, marimo balls float, move and roll around in the water current (which is how they form their round ball shape).
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you for your kind information.
    So do you think it is the best idea to make Marimo ball to float? Additional, during every weekly water change, i have to squeeze the ball to clear the waste?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Liew Yida View Post
    Thank you for your kind information.
    So do you think it is the best idea to make Marimo ball to float? Additional, during every weekly water change, i have to squeeze the ball to clear the waste?
    Usually if there is sufficient light and the marimo ball produces extra oxygen from photosynthesis, the gas will build up inside it and make it float. Extra current in the tank will also help to move it around too. If your lights are not strong or the flow is low, then just manually rotate it to a new side every few days.

Its good to rinse and squeeze the marimo ball at each water change, that will help to remove dirt and debris which get trapped amongst the filaments.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com