Country
    Singapore

Deciding on new aquarium plants

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello everyone,

I just threw one of my aquarium plant this morning because i found out that the leave have turned white and transparent.

I would like to know any idea for a aquarium plants that could stay in low light(i have no aquarium light)?
    My tank is 15g and housed with 27 tetras and 4 cory.

Anyone could advise me to get a good aquarium plants base on my aquarium status?

Thank You

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Deciding on new aquarium plants

Your substrate is sand? I guess so because you are keeping Cory. If so, you probably find anubias easier. Those which are tied to wood or coconut husk is better so as not to injure your Cory's barbels when they swim across it.

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Java ferns would be suitable also

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hello,

My substrate is not sand. i using gravel like pebbles size. Oh, you mean cory is the root cause for the plants?
    Java ferns i would consider since it can be kept in low light condition.
    These pictures below are my aquarium plants. Until now im still dont know what they are call exactly.

thumbnail_image1.jpg
    thumbnail_image2.jpg
    thumbnail_image3.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Dracena - first picture. Non aquatic plant. But can tolerate submerged for very long time

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

2nd picture I forget the name le, but also non aquatic. Similarly can tolerate submerged for very long also. But when it starts to go bad, the decomposition is fast and fury and stinks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Saw a Cladophora moss ball also. Not my favorite. I rather throw in Marimo and watch them grow.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

A very very thin layer of sand would make your corys very happy.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by plantedpot View Post
    2nd picture I forget the name le, but also non aquatic. Similarly can tolerate submerged for very long also. But when it starts to go bad, the decomposition is fast and fury and stinks

Think it's peacock fern

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Not surprising the existing stem plants in your tank don't do too well, as there isn't enough light to sustain them and they are not aquatic plants anyways (meant more for emersed growth in vivariums or paludariums).

If you don't have any lights on your tank and only rely on room lights or some light from a window, then go for low demand plants like anubias, java ferns or java moss. But note that without much light, their growth and nutrient take up rate will also be very slow, so you can't expect them to help much with soaking up nutrients in the tank. Have to continue doing water changes to manually remove the excess nutrients.

Do also note that if such plants deteriorate and rot due to insufficient light, they will release waste and nutrients back into the water column. So have to keep an eye on their condition.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Second picture look like malayan fern
    http://aquaticplants.animal-world.co...anAquaFern.php

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The Dracena is a non aquatic plant?? I thought it is a aquatic plant at the first place therefore i get it from the shop. Actually i have two of it but the other one the leaves became transparent and white so i threw it away.
    So you mean both of my plants are non aquatic? i wish i would get an aquatic ones. the 2nd picture some of the leaves started to bend downwards. While doing water change, it started to come off when i touch or rub against it. I will just throw away those leaves that came out.
    Can you advise which aquatic plants are suitable for me. I need the plants that survive in low light because i do not own a light for my tank.
    You mean mine is a Cladophora moss ball not Marimo?? I thought it was a Marimo that why bought it from the shop.
    Any idea where i could get the Marimo Moss Ball?

I have thought of getting sand for my substrate but i dont want any trouble sucking up the sand while doing water changes.
    I think i would stick with my current ones.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you so much for your advise.
    If i would like to get a light for my aquarium. How much light should i give my 15gallon? I wish to keep my current plants.
    I would like to go for LED light, any recommendation? A timer is a must for me right? because sometimes i wont be coming back home.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How long is your tank? I may have a spare one to let go. The timer can just buy from mustafa. 9.90

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Marimo can buy from a few lfs, c328, or east ocean or Seaview also have. They come in small plastic bags with name Marimo. 5 or 6 for 8sgd.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Dracena is a plant which can survive partial submerged if some of its leaves are above water. If you want to keep dracena, just let it go slightly higher. Dun need much light also. The other fern I rather not. That one usually mount on wood, and won't last too long. When it turns bad, it turns really fast. My experience with the plant was in my 91litres hi tech. Was still trying out new plants, and this fern almost made me reset the entire tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sand actually dun need a lot. Just a 2 mm layer. When you change water, just sweep to one side.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Low light no substrate, you can try anubias, or Java ferns. You could also get some moss rocks, or just throw a bunch of Java moss inside.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Liew Yida View Post
    Thank you so much for your advise.
    If i would like to get a light for my aquarium. How much light should i give my 15gallon? I wish to keep my current plants.
    I would like to go for LED light, any recommendation? A timer is a must for me right? because sometimes i wont be coming back home.
    Please remove the current 2 non-aquatic plants... you will encounter more problems down the road when they start to deteriorate and release sap/toxins into the water column. Dracena type plants are toxic to animals if they chew on it, so its already a known hazard.

Replace them with proper aquarium plants. As mentioned, you can go for the low demand plants like anubias, java ferns and mosses. You can also look at adding floating plants like frogbits, salvinia natans/minima, dwarf water lettuce etc, with good lighting, they can grow fast and help to soak up lots of excess nutrients.

For a low-tech tank setup with easy plants, you can look at lights like the Up Aqua T-series or Z-Series LED lights.

You can get analog or digital plug timers from most hardware shops or electrical goods dept stores.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 25th Jul 2016 at 21:35.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It sounds like these 2 plants are not recommended for aquarium.

I will remove this 2 plants tomorrow once i get 1 anubias and 1 java ferns.
    May i know does this anubias and java ferns need any lights specially for them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast