Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Aquatic plants not growing some even degraded.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Unhappy Aquatic plants not growing some even degraded.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all i'm facing problem in growing my aquatic plants, every 3 days i will add 3 co2 tablets and add in liquid fertilizer. Sadly the only thing that i see are the growth of algae and plant breaking apart. Therefor any old bird can help me?

My Setup

2feet tank
    Flourite base
    root fertilizer
    8 plants
    2 cornered filter
    55w light

here are some of the pictures of my tank

Algae

Plant dying

Thanks in advance.
    I'm A Newbie Pls Don't Flame Me

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Aquatic plants not growing some even degraded.

There could be a lot of reasons as to why plants are dying. pH, carbonate hardness or simply the plant not being an aquatic plant. Different types of plants also varies in difficulties to adapt to individual aquarium. From the picture of the aquatic plant you show as dying, it looks like a variant of toninia which requires soft water and low pH. If your water is heavily mineralised, it may not be able to adapt. The red plant in the foreground looks like alternatera sessilis, which is not truly aquatic. It may live for a few weeks submerged in water looking ok but it may just suddenly crash and die at the point where the threshold is crossed.

Algae could be due to too much light and too little plant uptake of nutrients. Your other plants looks like Java ferns which are slow growers and do not take up too much nutrients. Try cutting down number of hours when light is on first for a week and see if algae situation improve. If it doesn't, then combine it with a gradual reduction of fert added. You can also add plants that inhibit algae growth like c.demersum, or fast growing plants that suck up nutrients like hygrophilia difformis.

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by plantedpot View Post
    There could be a lot of reasons as to why plants are dying. pH, carbonate hardness or simply the plant not being an aquatic plant. Different types of plants also varies in difficulties to adapt to individual aquarium. From the picture of the aquatic plant you show as dying, it looks like a variant of toninia which requires soft water and low pH. If your water is heavily mineralised, it may not be able to adapt. The red plant in the foreground looks like alternatera sessilis, which is not truly aquatic. It may live for a few weeks submerged in water looking ok but it may just suddenly crash and die at the point where the threshold is crossed.

Algae could be due to too much light and too little plant uptake of nutrients. Your other plants looks like Java ferns which are slow growers and do not take up too much nutrients. Try cutting down number of hours when light is on first for a week and see if algae situation improve. If it doesn't, then combine it with a gradual reduction of fert added. You can also add plants that inhibit algae growth like c.demersum, or fast growing plants that suck up nutrients like hygrophilia difformis.

thanks for your reply. i happened to have both of the plants you posted but both died.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

C. Demersum tend shed most of their leaves when first introduced to new environment. So it's good to get more strands to start out with. Water wisteria is like a weed. If it dies in your tank, it could signify something really wrong with your water.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I think your issue is insufficient water circulation. When your CO2 don't get to the plant, their transition to your tank condition will be long and difficult. Try to get co2 tank. They are much cheap than tablet in long term and the plant grows well with it.

if your soil is new, you can don't dose your Fert for the first few weeks. Reduce your Fert to avoid algae. Once algae set in, you will have bigger problem.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Realcaster View Post
    I think your issue is insufficient water circulation. When your CO2 don't get to the plant, their transition to your tank condition will be long and difficult. Try to get co2 tank. They are much cheap than tablet in long term and the plant grows well with it.

if your soil is new, you can don't dose your Fert for the first few weeks. Reduce your Fert to avoid algae. Once algae set in, you will have bigger problem.
    Thanks for you reply. I'm using 2 air filter so believe circulation is enough. After i finish all my co2 tablets i will use my DIY co2 kit.

Quote Originally Posted by plantedpot View Post
    C. Demersum tend shed most of their leaves when first introduced to new environment. So it's good to get more strands to start out with. Water wisteria is like a weed. If it dies in your tank, it could signify something really wrong with your water.

Noted.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

air filter is not good for planted tank..
    air pumped air will introduce algae growth...
    I heard that CO2 tablet is a waste of money.. don't put is better than put.
    btw, your gravels might not be suitable for plants as it looks like it is quite sharp
    most of your plants are ferns, remember not to bury their roots.

Quote Originally Posted by takaco View Post
    Thanks for you reply. I'm using 2 air filter so believe circulation is enough. After i finish all my co2 tablets i will use my DIY co2 kit.

Noted.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi there Takako,

The light you are using is not good enough. I don't recommend using flourescent or any of those lights that have bulbs that are used for home lighting. You should buy a high-lumen LED because the plants you are using are quite demanding. You should also change the filter. Air-powered filters introduce oxygen and increase circulation and agitation. This causes Gaseous exchnage and makes the Co2 escape. Furthermore, tablet CO2 is a waste of moeney because the Co2 hardly gets released. Try pressurized Co2 or if you don't have the resources try getting DIY. It is cheap and good. Co2 is most well-received in its gaseous form so just stick with gaseous Co2.

Cheers,
    Happydanio
    Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Am i right that the water don't look clear or did you just changed the water? Maybe it is the Tank glass that is not clear.