Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Does any cryptocoryne give out irritants?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Does any cryptocoryne give out irritants?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just wondering, it's the second time I rescaped my tank, and for some funny reason after each of the rescapes my arm feels really itchy.

This only happened after I added in some C.albida* and C.Balanse. Is there a interesting possibilty that either of this plants give out some sort of sap or whatever that is causing my itch?

Just for general knowledge

*Not sure of the spelling.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes, crypts are members of the same family as dumbcanes.. ditto Anubias. The genus is known for producing oxalic acid in varying concentrations.... contact with internal plant tissue can result in itch. Try cutting an Anubias rhizome and touching the clear sap inside....

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I never knew... no wonder!

Something learnt today. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    I never knew... no wonder!

Something learnt today. Thanks!
    yea, they are known to kill certain frail creatures like shrimps.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Andrew, you mean crypts and anubias can kill shrimps? Is this from experience or have you read it somewhere (either scientific or other hobbyist reports)? Not doubting you, just would like to verify the information.

May answer some of the questions about mysterious shrimp death.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by vinz
    Andrew, you mean crypts and anubias can kill shrimps? Is this from experience or have you read it somewhere (either scientific or other hobbyist reports)? Not doubting you, just would like to verify the information.

May answer some of the questions about mysterious shrimp death.
    Hi Vinz,

I was relating to a friends' experience. His brood of 20+ crs got wiped out when he planted a bush of crypt into his tank. He was quite certain it was due to the crypts because his crs was doing fine prior to the incident. Anubias I cannot vertify but they seem okay. Towards more expensive shrimps like crs, I urge shrimp lovers to err on the cautious side.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    what's about it? Referring to the pesticides in the plants? My friend's crypt was transferred from his aged tank, hence chemical-free. Or if it is about the stirring of water, my friend only planted 1 bush of crypts, so I know he din make a mess in there. Anyway, it is just a caution based on someone's experience.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You sound a little perturbed by Simon's suggestion. Please don't be, without full information about the situation, people will point towards any information that are related, in case they are relevant.

Anyway, it IS an interesting theory. Now we have something else to look for when people report mysterious shrimp death when adding new plants.

However, I do have yamato shrimps and crypts in the same tank.

I can't say for sure because I never take note of such events, but I'm pretty certain in the last few years in the hobby, there have been times when I have planted crypts, either new from LFS or from established tanks into tanks that already have a population of shrimp, without experiencing mysterious shrimp death.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have been planting, cutting and digging up crypts and anubias (various species from several sources, new and old) in the past year with yamatoes and malayans in my tank. No problems though.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No worries, Vinz. I have contacted Simon regarding other matters as well, and regarding the previous post, it is merely a different way of expression. There are no hard feelings at all.

We all know that yamatos and malayans are more hardy than their cousins. Why, we often hear of the famous case of yamatos surviving out of water for half hours and stuff and how brittle bee shrimps, crs can be.

While I cant be certain for all cases where shrimps coincidently die with the introduction of newly plants crypts, it appears that it is the case for my friend's post mortem report. He is an experienced shrimp lover, who wouldn't take chances on his hundreds of dollars worth of crs. What happened in his tank with crypts, is not something he planned for.

Quote Originally Posted by vinz
    You sound a little perturbed by Simon's suggestion. Please don't be, without full information about the situation, people will point towards any information that are related, in case they are relevant.

Anyway, it IS an interesting theory. Now we have something else to look for when people report mysterious shrimp death when adding new plants.

However, I do have yamato shrimps and crypts in the same tank.

I can't say for sure because I never take note of such events, but I'm pretty certain in the last few years in the hobby, there have been times when I have planted crypts, either new from LFS or from established tanks into tanks that already have a population of shrimp, without experiencing mysterious shrimp death.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm doubtful that crypts are the issue here...One important thing, whenever you stir up the substrate for some reason (be it for planting, rescaping and etc), always do a large water change. Its an ammonia "city" down there. The other issue is surface movement. Planted tanks don't require much of that but some folks went too far and killed off their critters instead. Folks need to look at issues in a more logical way sometimes before jumping to wild conclusions.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Uhmm, maybe you are correct, Peter.
    Not that I am against crypts, I mean, we all love plants here and crypts are included in that list.
    Still I will avoid crypts at all costs in higher end shrimps. The choice is pretty much up to personal preferences but as a shrimp lover, I will recommend against crypts to avoid heartaches.

btw, squee, is your hand okay already?
    Last edited by andrewtyr; 18th Apr 2005 at 18:09.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Peter was referring to the crypts vs. shrimp issue. Not the itching.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My itching issue could be caused by other factors

We all know that shrimps are incredibly sensitive creatures, so it may or may not have been the crypts. Tanks are like nature, fragile ecosystems. Many many factors are interlinked