Country
    Singapore

3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft lights requirement

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Will be setting up a abovementioned dimension planted tank. What is the lights recommended and what wattage should I be looking at? Is there a link that can do a calculate the lights requirements whenever I need it?

Regards,

Kevin Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevino
    Hi,

Will be setting up a abovementioned dimension planted tank. What is the lights recommended and what wattage should I be looking at? Is there a link that can do a calculate the lights requirements whenever I need it?

Regards,

Kevin Lee
    120 watts should be good!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Appreciate

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevino
    Thank you.
    Welcome.Hey does ur light holder have like reflectors? If they dun then put them up so more light will reach the bottom. Mine didn't have them at 1st then i put them up.My palnts were really healthy but now i have to cahnge the substrate

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

PL light is a good choice.

However, it only comes with certain fixed wattage said 18,24,36....w.

So for you case, you may want to consider 2 sets of 2 x 36w tubes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    that time i ask the shop keeper then he say 4x36 watt pl tubes will be perfect...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by armani
    that time i ask the shop keeper then he say 4x36 watt pl tubes will be perfect...
    I've the same dimension of your planned tank, the lighting set-up is 2 x 18W, 2 x 36W, total watt = 108 watts. it's good for most Plants. I tested it already
    The More You Share, The More You Have

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re : Lights

i'm currently using MH 150W for my 3 feet. Results are good...BUT you need a chiller otherwise your plants will be "baked"
    my mosses growing very well with the intense light... no CO2.. no fertilisers... also can see them pearl.. i feel that disadvantage of PL lights is the light intensity quite weak at lower part of tank... thats what i encountered in my previous 2 feet... plant growth at bottom tend to be slower.MH proven to have better penetration.... =)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by augi_ow
    i'm currently using MH 150W for my 3 feet. Results are good...BUT you need a chiller otherwise your plants will be "baked"
    my mosses growing very well with the intense light... no CO2.. no fertilisers... also can see them pearl.. i feel that disadvantage of PL lights is the light intensity quite weak at lower part of tank... thats what i encountered in my previous 2 feet... plant growth at bottom tend to be slower.MH proven to have better penetration.... =)
    You don't necesarily have to get a chiller......if you can't afford one u can use fans (computer fans) to decrease the temperature too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re

if use fans...evaporation rates very high and how much can you cool the tank temp by... 1 degrees??... i've tried my MH without chiller and without fans... 31 degrees...
    my old 2 feet use PL and fan... temp can maintain at 28 BUT evaporation rate super super high.... =)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    my tank is 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft; my light is 4 x 36W = 144W; duration is 5hours only;

I used to deploy the fan system, but find that the water on the surface may be cold; but the water on the substrate are actually much warmer.

after i swtich to chiller (resun 450), the water on the substrate is colder than the surface - the reverse of the fan system;

tango
    Adopt all unwanted neon & cardinal tetra

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Regards

Thanks guys.