Country
    Singapore

Unhappy Please help with plant setup advise

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

First time setting up a planted tank and it was not easy. Tank set up on 30 Sept. Please help advise on the following:

No fertilizer, only start to use CO2 canister after a few days after setup. Monte Carlos continue to dry.

Kindly help with the following questions.
    1. CO2 canister 2 pump per day sufficient? If not, any other advise?

2. Will the monte carlo still grow after melting? I saw carousel selling those already submerge and say MC will not be lost during converting. This gave me an impression its normal to melt.

3. I did not fertilize. Necessary? Any recommendation? Looked at Seachem but too many choices.

4. Xmas moss growing well?

5. A few of the Nottonia Palustris rotted at the bottom. So i just stick the top back in soil. Can? Does it looked like dying?

Many thanks for your advise!

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Please help with plant setup advise

2 more photos

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What kind of substrate are you using?usually fertilizers are the first layer used for start up tank.(spread out before putting substrate)
    that's my normal procedure and i do not add any fertilizers for the next 2-3 months.
    it's normal for some plants to melt during initial stage as parameters are unstable and plants trying to adapt to your new water.monitor 2-3 weeks.
    you have to keep changing water as new substrate are high in ammonia. test parameters after the second week.
    hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by gabdat View Post
    What kind of substrate are you using?usually fertilizers are the first layer used for start up tank.(spread out before putting substrate)
    that's my normal procedure and i do not add any fertilizers for the next 2-3 months.
    it's normal for some plants to melt during initial stage as parameters are unstable and plants trying to adapt to your new water.monitor 2-3 weeks.
    you have to keep changing water as new substrate are high in ammonia. test parameters after the second week.
    hope this helps.
    It's ASP substrate (those granules for shrimp type), no fertilizer.
    Did not change water frequently as no livestocks yet.

Going to get some submerged monte carlo. hope it help/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

water change is not only for livestock.its for the cycle of your water to stabilize.u still need to change it and do make some necessary tests such as PH, ammonia,nitrate and nitrite.i change 50% every 2 days for the first week than 30% for every 2 days again for the 2nd week.(for new set up).usually new substrate has high level of ammonia.
    regarding CO2,im using tank and solenoid so can't advise u on canister.perhaps someone else might give you input for that.i too hope that your monte carlo will prosper.
    some say its an easy plant to care.
    maybe can make us understand better-you said no livestock but pic shown with livestock.did u decomm and redo the whole cycle again?with new or same substrate?thnks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

Many changes since last post. Started dosing seachem Excel daily and Flourish biweekly. Bought submerged monte carlo and replant. Stem plant starts growing well. Monte carlo a bit slow and not spreading well yet though can see a few starting to spread. Xmas moss very slow provably due to water temp 29 deg. After a few weeks, my friend suggest adding fish as maybe will help to provide more N for plants also.
    So got 10 cardinals last week and they are now quite happy. Still shy and dont dare to swim up to surface except when feeding where to quickly dart up to eat then swim back down....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi..too much nutrients and trace elements might slow your plant growth as there is not enough plants to consume your additives.i suggest you lower the dosage more and monitor them in the coming days.good to hear your plants are thriving.one more thing..thru my experience,,patient is the most important part of a successful planted aquarium.mine took 3 months to see the outcome..don't rush things.let them grow naturally.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Noted! Thanks a lot for your advise!
    IMG-20161106-WA0014.jpg