Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Betta tank in a 2.2 gallon?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, i have a 2.2 gallon nano tank. I intend to rear a betta fish in it. But in order to do that what must I do? Can i put a sponge filter in or just an air stone? Or can i just heavily plant it and leave it in a sunny area? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Betta tank in a 2.2 gallon?

A single Betta does not need any filter or air pump. Just a single healthy plant should take care of any nitrates.
    I only do small weekly 20% water change to take care of any nitrite. Of course for the plant to survive well, there should be enough light.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the reply tetrakid, I will plant the tank with quite a number of plants hahaha, and give him a small home.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just a suggestion....
    You should head toward low tech tank setup. There are plants that are suitable for low tech tank like fern, moss, nana, etc. just google low tech tank and you should have tonnes of links display on google search.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Bracehero View Post
    Thanks for the reply tetrakid, I will plant the tank with quite a number of plants hahaha, and give him a small home.

With a nice home, a pet Betta can live well for a long time. Always remember to feed it well. My Betta loves fruit flies snacks which I trap live daily using stale orange leftovers. I do not feed him Tubifex due to risk of pathogens. The pellet I use is "Betta Choice" brand. With right feeding, my Betta is very lively and not bored at all.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    With a nice home, a pet Betta can live well for a long time. Always remember to feed it well. My Betta loves fruit flies snacks which I trap live daily using stale orange leftovers. I do not feed him Tubifex due to risk of pathogens. The pellet I use is "Betta Choice" brand. With right feeding, my Betta is very lively and not bored at all.
    Wow! How do you trap the flies using stale orange leftovers?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Bracehero View Post
    Wow! How do you trap the flies using stale orange leftovers?

First of all, in their natural habitat, they usually live in shallow ponds and thus spend much time near the surface where many insects can be found. So insects are a natural diet for them.

I have mentioned before how I trap fruit flies in one of the threads. I once tried to cultivate wingless/flightless fruit flies but gave up as it is troublesome and not cost effective. Then I discovered that I can trap normal fruit flies like those you find around the house. But since this species of fruit flies can fly away easily before you can use them, a special method is required.

First you make tall vessel by cutting away the top part of a 1.5L drink bottle. Then you put some stale fruit which has been left aside for a few hours into the vessel and leave it at a spot where fruit flies can gather. I usually harvest the flies in the morning after leaving it overnight. Harvesting is done carefully by placing a cellophane bag over the vessel. The flies will fly into the bag with the slightest disturbance. Once the flies are in the bag, quickly squeeze the open end of the bag thus trapping all the flies. The bag just be of cellophane as normal plastic bags are not suitable due to lack of rigidity to form a hollow space to trap the flies.

The flies are then KO'ed (knocked out) by shaking them into a corner of the bag and 'shooting' them with a flicking action of the fingers, like how you shoot when playing carton but more violently. When the flies are all KO'ed, pour them into the fish tank. It is only suitable for top feeders.

Alternatively, the flies can be knocked out by placing the bag in the microwave oven for 20 sec.