Images
    Country
    Singapore

Native species

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, I'm a new member I've been reading around online and I've discovered a... disgusting lack of concern for our native fauna(and to think I was looking for crayfish) Anyway, it sorta motivated me to keep an "ecologically safe" tank. Thing is , everywhere I go I find foreign fish(there's a guy selling red bellied piranas in pasir ris) OK, getting to the point.

Does anyone know a shop that sells ntive fish/plants? Native fish being Rasboras , 6 banded tiger barbs, spanner barbs, banded loaches and the like...

http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/pub/na...text/a092a.htm

Go there for some examples. I have no idea what aquatic plants are native though... any help would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I would add to what you said in that there is not just a severe lack of concern, but also a severe ignorance about what are native species, be it trees and plants to fish and birds. Guppies, mynahs, rain trees, house crows, tilapia, carp, sucker catfish, red-eared sliders, luohans..... most people assume these are native.

It's good to find hobbyists interested in native wildlife, but it's not quite right to see a link between being 'ecologically safe' and keeping only native species. I don't think it matters much what species (from anywhere in the world) one keeps, as long as irresponsible acts like releasing the animals in the wild are avoided. For local species, the catch is that many (e.g. harlequins, Systoma hexazona, local loaches and barbs) are endangered locally (and catching in the reserves IS prohibited and unsustainable), so we rely on sources from populations in Malaysia or Indonesia. I don't think you will find any place selling native species (as in wild-caught). It's best to just buy their stock (whether farmed or imported) to set up a tank of 'local' species. For plants, genera native to these parts (and available in better LFS or farms) include Blyxa, Limnophila, Crypts, java moss, java fern, hairgrasses, Nymphaea, Nymphoides and Eriocaulon.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Damn right they're ignorant.

Hey , thanks for the info , well I use the term "ecologically safe" because my grandmother has an annoying habbit of changing the water when I'm not home... occasionally she pours some of the fry down the drain And call me overly ambitious but I intend to breed and eventually release the more endangered species(practically all of them huh?) back into our rivers.

Oh, could you give me the address of such an LFS? Like i said before, all i can find are guys who think "crayfish" are stingrays selling goldfish...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Gratiola has a small tank of Puntius hexazona aka six-banded barb. but not sure if they're selling. the simplest obviously would be to get Trigonostigma heteromorpha.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by XnSdVd
    And call me overly ambitious but I intend to breed and eventually release the more endangered species(practically all of them huh?) back into our rivers.
    It is perhaps not wise to breed your own and release them back into our steams. You may unintentionally introduce tank parasites which may wipe out the local population, or other effects.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's not wise at all. Most farm bred fish that are native to our waters have already lost their "wild" characteristics. It's a matter of genetics and uniqueness and a million other factors. I persuade you not to do anything, although your wanting to help impresses me. Just being aware is good already.

Good LFSes are around... There's Gratiola, Nature Aquarium, Eco-culture, blah blah. Their addresses can't be found here though, the page isn't up yet.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If you are free and drives, check out jalan kayu or lor harlus. Many fish farms and retail shops with so many choices.

Of course, you may not find the more exotic ones.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

That never really occured to me... but still, it's kinda sad what's happened to our ecosystem. Haha, but it'd be kinda cool to work with the national parks board on a captive breeding programme(they dont seem to be doing anything though... sad) And yes, I realise I'm very over-enthusiastic. Blame it on NS

[EDIT]
    Hey, I just found a similar post from 2 years ago... so what happened with it?
    Last edited by XnSdVd; 15th Apr 2005 at 23:49.