Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Shrimps dead after wc

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have a low profile fully packed planted tank with bout 20 shrimps but after water change of 50%, shrimps are all dead. Thru your experience what seems to be the caused? Seachem prime was added more than it should be thru the process.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Shrimps dead after wc

Quote Originally Posted by rubbersandal View Post
    I have a low profile fully packed planted tank with bout 20 shrimps but after water change of 50%, shrimps are all dead. Thru your experience what seems to be the caused? Seachem prime was added more than it should be thru the process.
    Hi @rubbersandal , is the fertilizer u are using suitable for shrimp? The first time I reared shrimps was a disaster because I used the wrong fertilizer. Can you tell us your water parameters?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Check your tap water parameters and compare to your tank water parameters... especially the TDS and pH. Seachem Prime can only help to detox ammonia for a short period of time and neutralize heavy metals, but it doesn't mitigate the sudden change of environment that the shrimps experience during a larger water change.

If your tank water and tap water parameters are very different, a large 50% water change can swing the parameters very drastically, which will affect the shrimps as they cannot adapt to it quick enough. Large water changes can also trigger molting and if the shrimps are not ready, they can encounter difficulties and die in the process.

In such cases, try doing smaller water changes at a time (ie. 10-20%) spread over a few days, so that any parameter changes are slow and gradual. Increasing surface agitation or run air stones for a while after water changes to help increase oxygenation can also be beneficial, as the incoming tap water may be oxygen deficient.

Do also check the other parameters like ammonia, nitrite and nitrates in your tap water, sometimes it possible to have unusually high levels of those in certain tap water sources too. Or perhaps very high TDS levels which may indicate exceptionally high levels of other stuff like harmful chemicals or copper in the water, so you may need to dose more Seachem Prime to counter it, or if still not effective, consider switching to distilled water or purifying the tap water with RODI unit beforehand.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Bracehero View Post
    Hi @rubbersandal , is the fertilizer u are using suitable for shrimp? The first time I reared shrimps was a disaster because I used the wrong fertilizer. Can you tell us your water parameters?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Hi I'm using Seachem comprehensive and excel.
    Ammonia 0.4
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0
    Shrimp was just released for a week no other fauna are present.
    Thanks Bracehero as UA mentioned it should still because of large quantity wc.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Check your tap water parameters and compare to your tank water parameters... especially the TDS and pH. Seachem Prime can only help to detox ammonia for a short period of time and neutralize heavy metals, but it doesn't mitigate the sudden change of environment that the shrimps experience during a larger water change.

If your tank water and tap water parameters are very different, a large 50% water change can swing the parameters very drastically, which will affect the shrimps as they cannot adapt to it quick enough. Large water changes can also trigger molting and if the shrimps are not ready, they can encounter difficulties and die in the process.

In such cases, try doing smaller water changes at a time (ie. 10-20%) spread over a few days, so that any parameter changes are slow and gradual. Increasing surface agitation or run air stones for a while after water changes to help increase oxygenation can also be beneficial, as the incoming tap water may be oxygen deficient.

Do also check the other parameters like ammonia, nitrite and nitrates in your tap water, sometimes it possible to have unusually high levels of those in certain tap water sources too. Or perhaps very high TDS levels which may indicate exceptionally high levels of other stuff like harmful chemicals or copper in the water, so you may need to dose more Seachem Prime to counter it, or if still not effective, consider switching to distilled water or purifying the tap water with RODI unit beforehand.
    Thanks UA as I thought because of daily dosing excel and comprehensive, that's why a 50% of water change is required but didnt realised shrimps are not adapting yet sigh.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How long was your time cycled?

Ammonia should be 0, and since u mentioned your tank is heavily planted, i can only assume your ratio of bb vs plant intake are 1:1:1:1 (ammonia produce 1, bb converting ammonia to nitrite 1, nitrite to nitrate 1, plant taking in nitrate 1) your nitrate should be showing some value

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You said shrimps were just released for a week. If what you mean your shrimps are just 1 week in the tank, it could be not just the water change but they were weak/unhealthy to begin with due to some other reasons.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by genki89 View Post
    How long was your time cycled?

Ammonia should be 0, and since u mentioned your tank is heavily planted, i can only assume your ratio of bb vs plant intake are 1:1:1:1 (ammonia produce 1, bb converting ammonia to nitrite 1, nitrite to nitrate 1, plant taking in nitrate 1) your nitrate should be showing some value

Am using media from another tank which is cycled at that time ammonia was 0mg nitrate at 10mg
    In this fully packed planted tank after a week measurment on ammonia was 0mg nitrate 0mg. Left it bout 3 weeks for plants to grow without any fauna, after 3 weeks when measured ammonia was still 0.4mg nitrite and nitrate at 0mg thats when I introduced shrimps. I agree with you reading is a bit strange with nitrate at 0mg. Was thinking ammmonia at 0.4 could it be because of new amazon soil I added.

Ok I have another small tank, using media from the same cycled tank. in this new tank with bout 40 percent of flora and 2 kribs only bout 4cm height of africana soil instead. Ammonia reading was 0 nitrate bout 0.5mg after 3 weeks.

I attached 2picts on this 2 tanks for your ref.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachdanon View Post
    You said shrimps were just released for a week. If what you mean your shrimps are just 1 week in the tank, it could be not just the water change but they were weak/unhealthy to begin with due to some other reasons.
    Plausible too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have been keeping Shrimp for 1 year plus almost 2 years.
    Arowana Avenue(Clementi) is the worst shrimp shop so far.
    I brought 10 CRS shrimp for $30.
    After putting the CRS Shrimp with packet in tank for temperature adjustment a few shrimp are in shock. And after 1 hour plus, 8/10 shrimp are almost died.
    I go back the to shop the seller; they try to sell me more shrimp each at $2.
    Never go to that shop again, anyone have shop that I can buy good quality shrimps?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Where those shrimps in bags or you caught it there yourself, well lots of things might go wrong but 8/10 in an hour is really heart wrenching.
    Have you been to Aquatic Avenue maybe you will want to drop by there take a look, at least they don't open bag and drop into tank with the incoming lifestocks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi..this is basically what i do.you can try and hopefully works for you.
    -WC minimal at 10% rate of once a week.too much sudden change might stress the shrimps.
    -why do you use excel?if you google some might say its difficult for shrimps to adapt.i only use prime.
    -besides prime, i use benibachi shrimp mironecton powder.i add 2 spoonful(which comes wt it).this is for replenish the lost minerals important for shrimps during water change such as calcium needed for molting.
    still,my shrimps do die for no reason but at least now its more acceptable and lesser.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My 2 cents: u can change even up to 50% of water. But the problem with that is the sudden change of water parameters including water temperature.

If water change is the problem causing casualties, why not learn it from gurus that kept monster fish that requires 90-100% water change?

The main reason for the death is sudden change of water parameters. So to counter that, maybe you have to slow it down every water top up.

Maybe your routine of 20% water top up (after u remove the 20%) takes 5min, assuming it is 2ft, u can either extend the time water top up or drip water top off.

Hope this helps.

Ps: try not to let the water stir the soil as this will alter the parameters