Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Guppy fry tank mate

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here

Is this snail safe for guppy fry ? I put him in my guppy fry tank. He is massive compare with the fry and i have one assassin snail with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Guppy fry tank mate

Quote Originally Posted by Bbgobs View Post

Is this snail safe for guppy fry ? I put him in my guppy fry tank. He is massive compare with the fry and i have one assassin snail with it.

so you meant you have 1 normal snail, 1 assassin snail together with the guppy fry? If it's that case, I would really suggest removing your normal snail asap if you cherish it as assassin snails eat other snails.. I personally do not have any snails but a quick Google revealed that assassin snails have 'stinger' that paralyzed their victims. Google results also said that assassin snail generally wont hunt snails bigger than themselves unless they have no smaller snails to prey on and they are very hungry. So probably for the sake of the big snail, to prevent him from being 'assassinated', you should remove him from the same vicinity as the assassin snail. Unless you want him to have a chance of being eaten...generally snails are not fast enough for fish, so you can be rest assured... unless got freak accident.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson83 View Post
    so you meant you have 1 normal snail, 1 assassin snail together with the guppy fry? If it's that case, I would really suggest removing your normal snail asap if you cherish it as assassin snails eat other snails.. I personally do not have any snails but a quick Google revealed that assassin snails have 'stinger' that paralyzed their victims. Google results also said that assassin snail generally wont hunt snails bigger than themselves unless they have no smaller snails to prey on and they are very hungry. So probably for the sake of the big snail, to prevent him from being 'assassinated', you should remove him from the same vicinity as the assassin snail. Unless you want him to have a chance of being eaten...generally snails are not fast enough for fish, so you can be rest assured... unless got freak accident.
    I mean one assassin snail in my main tank sorry , anyway is this an apple snail ? I notice he ate my anubia leaf over the night . Thanks for the reply crimson

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I mean one assassin snail in my main tank sorry , anyway is this an apple snail ? I notice he ate my anubia leaf over the night . Thanks for the reply crimson

morning! since both snails are separated, there's no cause for concern. However since assassin snails are carnivorous, make sure to give them food like blood worms, brine shrimp & meaty food to prevent them from starving. As for whether assassin snail consume algae or not, goggling doesn't gives a definite answer as people vouch for both side of the theory. Need members from AQ who have assassin snail to give us a more accurate answers. As for the snail species, I don't know as I'm not a snail expert thus need other member to identify for you, but since u mentioned that it eats your anubia, probably it falls into the 'pest snail' category, thus its best to remove him asap to prevent the anubia from being further eaten, that's if you treasure the anubia over the snail.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson83 View Post
    morning! since both snails are separated, there's no cause for concern. However since assassin snails are carnivorous, make sure to give them food like blood worms, brine shrimp & meaty food to prevent them from starving. As for whether assassin snail consume algae or not, goggling doesn't gives a definite answer as people vouch for both side of the theory. Need members from AQ who have assassin snail to give us a more accurate answers. As for the snail species, I don't know as I'm not a snail expert thus need other member to identify for you, but since u mentioned that it eats your anubia, probably it falls into the 'pest snail' category, thus its best to remove him asap to prevent the anubia from being further eaten, that's if you treasure the anubia over the snail.
    Morning! I guess i cherish my anubia more since they have been with me for a very long time and in another hand i just bought this snail not long ago thinking it may help clear some of the umeaten food in my fry tank , but instead of solving my problem he ate my anubia . Ok but the assassin was in my main tank all along , have been feeding him algae wafer together with my cories with no issue so far. I'll observe him further since u told me he has stinger that paralyse prey . Thank you crimson

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Morning! I guess i cherish my anubia more since they have been with me for a very long time and in another hand i just bought this snail not long ago thinking it may help clear some of the umeaten food in my fry tank , but instead of solving my problem he ate my anubia . Ok but the assassin was in my main tank all along , have been feeding him algae wafer together with my cories with no issue so far. I'll observe him further since u told me he has stinger that paralyse prey . Thank you crimson

hihi, his stinger he uses for his prey, mainly snails, so I think your cory should be safe, but wouldn't hurt to keep an eye out though, like you say. :P