Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to keep a carnivorous fish. Need some help.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Looking to keep a carnivorous fish. Need some help.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello all,

I just started keeping fishes as a hobby and decided to go with a small tank with guppies to try out. My guppies seem to be doing fine for the past 2 months!

I am thinking of getting a carnivorous species like a snakehead but do not want one that would grow to such a huge size.

Does anyone have any recommendation on species of small-ish carnivorous fish and what sized tank you would recommend?

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Looking to keep a carnivorous fish. Need some help.

There are some "dwarf" snakeheads, Channa gachua and Channa bleheri. Both rather commonly available in our LFS.

Another option is to get juvenile barramundi (kim bak lor, sea bass). They're definitely carnivorous and you can eat them when they reach 500 g to 1 kg, maybe. They're a popular aquaponics fish.

Dwarf pike cichlids (Crenicichla species like regani, compressiceps, wallacii, notophthalmus) are sometimes available and don't grow very large, maximum 15 cm, often much smaller.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How abt dwarf puffer fish? It's small and carnivour.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bumble bee gobies they are small as well , interesting guys .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you all for the reply! I was very intrigued by snakeheads because of how they feed, they tear through food instead of gulping them whole.

I will look into the other species you guys linked as well!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bobbins take note.
    Most Dwarf Snakehead species that are being sold and are mostly available are sub-tropical species. They require cool waters lower than room tank temperature to thrive.

That was what put me off.

Ofcourse there are dwarfs that are tropical. But they are hard to come by..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

But then again, as small as some of these are your tank size must be suitable (more so if you keep more than 1) and filtration top notch.
    They are hardy , but the amount.type of food they eat and poo is much much more than guppies.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes. Especially since you are looking into keeping carnivorous species.
    Skytan brought up good points there regarding filtration and the type of waste these carnivorous species produce.

Not sure if Betta is an appealing mini carnivore species you might be looking into though..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ahh I see, those are some good points. I will take note of those.

Bettas are BEAUTIFUL! I might slowly make my way up from Guppies > Bettas > dwarf snakehead.

Will see if I can find a place to put the tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all!

I went down to Clementi today to check out the snakeheads they are sold locally. As I was in a rush I only had the opportunity to check out one shop. The shop I checked out only had the very basic looking snakehead which I am assuming is a tiny (Was only 2-3inches big) Channa Gachua.

I am thinking of going down tomorrow to get my tank and the snakehead. However, before I do that, I have some questions.

1. Currently, my guppies were given to me by a friend and he gave me enough water for my 1g tank so I didnt need to cycle the tank. If I were to get a new tank (thinking about a 16L tank), should I cycle it before placing the snakehead in?

2. They Channa Gachua isn't as beautiful as the bleheri variant. Does anyone know of any shops in Clementi that sells it? If not, where else can I find them.

3. What filter would you recommend for the new tank? What type and if possible, any brands I should look out for?

4. Starting out, what are some plants that I should get for the tank that would not require an oxygen supply? I was thinking of getting a simple rock substrate, bigger rocks, moss, drift wood, surface plants.

5. Should I start out with 1 snakehead or isit possible for me to keep 2 in a 16L tank?

6. If I were to feed the snakehead live food, what type of fish should I buy?

If you have any more tips it would be awesome!

thank you very much!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Trying to help here by answering your questions.. Before anything else, make sure you double check and research on the species you are getting or what is available here locally. You don't want to be buying a juvenile monster!

1. With any new tank, definitely you are going to have to cycle it. To speed this up, you can use the water from your guppy tank and the filter medias too. Just use everything from that guppy setup for this snakehead(SH) tank (including the guppy, no SH yet!).
    However, I don't think a 16L tank will do justice even for a small SH for initial grow out.

2. Clementi shops would be a good start to scout for SHs. I would recommend a shop at Pasir Ris Farmway though. Beautiful SHs in multiple tanks. Might give you some ideas on SHs tank decor.

3. Filter choices are plenty. Note that SHs does not like too much flow in thier tank. XL size HOB filters are ok provided you can find a top lid that can accomodate. Remember that SHs are escape artist. A tank with a secure covered top lid is a MUST!

4. Low light plants eg. Java Ferns, Java moss, Nana to name a few. Those are undemanding plants. The addition of driftwood or twisted branches would make the whole setup feel natural for a SH to feel comfortable. You can settle for a sand substrate with the types of plants mentioned above.

5. Again.. consider your choice for the size of tank. I honestly feel that a 16L is too small for a SH. Carnivorous fish like SH produce alot of waste. A 16L tank is just too much a hassle to maintain single SH.

6. Stay away from feeders. Get your SH into carnivore pellets. That would be my advice. Save cost in the long run and most importantly, pellets has all the good stuff. U can start off with mealworms. And slowly introduce pellets. Say no to feeders.

It is now 440am. I should probably get back to sleep and chime in again later.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you for the reply!

It is possible for me to go up to 35L BUT it still seems too small?

I read from a website that dwarf snakehead can live in 12L of water but I guess they CAN but it is Not good for them.

I will definitely check out the Pasir Ris shop for the different species that are sold locally and also tank decor!

I am basing this information from this website: http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184936
    Last edited by Bobbins; 29th Oct 2016 at 10:11.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For small sized carnivores I personally like the African butterfly fish. They look like arowana but with more elaborate finnage. During feeding times they will spring into action from their usual motionless state. They are easy to care, very undemanding. I used to keep these oddballs for a while but nowadays they are seldom seen in the local fish shops

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbins View Post
    Thank you for the reply!

It is possible for me to go up to 35L BUT it still seems too small?

I read from a website that dwarf snakehead can live in 12L of water but I guess they CAN but it is Not good for them.

I will definitely check out the Pasir Ris shop for the different species that are sold locally and also tank decor!

I am basing this information from this website: http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184936
    35L is OK if you are keeping dwarf species. You can do with an oversize HOB filter. Again please note the SH you are buying. Alot of hobbyist are not well informed of some of the potential size these juvenile monsters can grow. And sadly majority of these are the ones sold in LFS.
    I admit I was guilty too. Hehe..

Today must be a very exciting day for you!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eeJamboy View Post
    35L is OK if you are keeping dwarf species. You can do with an oversize HOB filter. Again please note the SH you are buying. Alot of hobbyist are not well informed of some of the potential size these juvenile monsters can grow. And sadly majority of these are the ones sold in LFS.
    I admit I was guilty too. Hehe..

Today must be a very exciting day for you!

Indeed!

I am glad to hear that 35L is a good size! I did ask the shop staff about the (lonely) baby snakehead in the tank and he said it would grow to about 8 inches. But I will definitely be going down to Pasir ris before buying anything.

When you say Pasir Ris farmway, do you mean OTF aquarium?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

No it is not OTF.
    From Pasir Ris Dr 1, make a LEFT turn instead of right (right to OTF that you already know).
    You should see a small roundabout.

Enter that entrance. On your right there will be a row of shops. The shop that I was referring to earlier has a lot of driftwood and a tank full of monsters.

Hope you find your way there

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

No it is not OTF.
    From Pasir Ris Dr 1, make a LEFT turn instead of right (right to OTF that you already know).

Enter that entrance. On your right there will be a row of shops. The shop that I was referring to earlier has a lot of driftwood and a tank full of monsters.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

No it is not OTF.

Thank you! Will trymy best to find the place when I find the time to go.

Found the place on google maps, this shop?

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes correct that is the place. There is a row of shops, first block on the right..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes correct that is the place. There is a row of shops, first block on the right..

Thankyousomuch!

I couldnt make it down today, will try on monday. If I cant I will just head down to clementi first (as it is near-by) to get the tank and some simple plants to cycle the tank before heading down to Pasir Ris for the Snakehead!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast