Country
    Singapore

2Ft Hairgrass Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Been 2 weeks since I started by tank using Dry Start Method

Bought a 2 ft Tank & cabinet from a nice bro. Since there were some scratches on the front glass, removed the black background paper & used the back as my front.

Bought ADA 9L powder type, I think it will be better since I am intending to plant Hairgrass
    Made a slope using corrugated plastic board & double sided tape. Put some lava rocks on the bottom so that I don't waste ADA.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 2Ft Hairgrass Tank

Planted the Hairgrass evenly
    Front would be dwarf Hairgrass & back is Japanese Hairgrass & wrapper with cling film
    Bought this from my LFS. Hope it's bright enough

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

After regularly spraying Flourish Excel & potassium, seems like the old leaves are getting yellow & drying

But I do see new leaves & root growth

I have read that since the plants may have been growing submerged , growing emersed may cause such drying off.
    Hopefully that's causing it.
    I did remove some plants to check. The stem is still green so should be OK I hope.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Still few more weeks of DSM left.
    Spray painted my rusty 5L CO2 tank & gave it for refill

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

will the double sided tape cause problem when you fill up the tank?
    interesting way of having a slope without exposing any rocks...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

What lifestock will you be planning to keep in this tank later?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just a quick note... your plants undergoing DSM already have ample access to Co2 from the air so the dosing of Seachem Excel is not required at this stage.

In addition, the active chemical in excel is a form of disinfectant and can burn exposed plants if not used in a heavily diluted condition (ie. dosed in an aquarium filled full with water). Hence its not a good idea to spray excel directly on emersed plants, as it can cause damage to them.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    will the double sided tape cause problem when you fill up the tank?
    interesting way of having a slope without exposing any rocks...
    If i created a slope without double sided tape & plastic, the slope would have gotten flattened over time.
    Maybe overtime the double side tape might loose its stickiness.

Quote Originally Posted by aza View Post
    What lifestock will you be planning to keep in this tank later?
    I have some nice guppies in my temporary holding tank, i will add some red cherry shrimps maybe some ottos to keep the tank clean.
    I wanted to added cardinals too, but read that cardinals may attack the shrimps.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Just a quick note... your plants undergoing DSM already have ample access to Co2 from the air so the dosing of Seachem Excel is not required at this stage.

In addition, the active chemical in excel is a form of disinfectant and can burn exposed plants if not used in a heavily diluted condition (ie. dosed in an aquarium filled full with water). Hence its not a good idea to spray excel directly on immersed plants, as it can cause damage to them.
    Thanks for the advice. I have been spraying in a diluted form but will stop spraying Flourish Excel, don't wanna take chances.
    Is spraying Potassium safe?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sanjaypills55 View Post
    Is spraying Potassium safe?
    Potassium is usually okay to spray on the emersed plants in moderate amounts.

Just have to note that its sometimes also possible that too much of certain concentrated ferts sprayed on emersed plants can affect their leaves too (most aquarium fert dosages are based on much greater dilution ratios in tank water). So if you notice the plants deteriorating, then just have to cut back on the ferts or dilute them even further before spraying.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Need to look for a canister filter.
    Have narrowed down to 2.
    This question must have been asked many times , which one is better ?

1) Eheim 350 (2215)
    Lots of positive feedback. Simple design. But doesn't have media trays & need to buy double taps separately.

2) Fluval 306:
    Does have media trays & has Aquastop which should be similar to double taps.

Price wise both are similar considering I need to purchase double taps for eheim.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My dollar will be with Eheim for all the reasons you've stated. However I will advise you to get the higher flow rate if possible. Considering the fact that canister filter gets clogged over time, and all the inline equipments that you will install, you will need the higher flow rate. You may get away with lesser flow since you're doing iwugami style, but consider future rescaping needs.

Another way to get around the lack of media trays and double taps is to use a prefilter canister with build in taps like SunSun. This way you just fill the eheim filter full with bio media and let the prefilter handle all mechanical filtering. During maintenance you only need to clean the prefilter with taps which is fast and easy. The main canister can go without cleaning for months. However this will reduce your flow rate which is why many advise you start with a overpowered canister.

Im using Eheim 2071 for my 2ft with the sunsun prefilter with great results. I clean my prefilter every week and only touch my main canister every 3 months (and i believe I can stretch longer since the main canister never gets much buildup). Main canister is filled 100% with bio media, which handles my heavy bioload with ease. I like the eheim pro series for its boxy form factor too, maximizes cabinet space utilization.

http://img01.cp.aliimg.com/imgextra/...!124102275.jpg

this prefilter costs less than $30, has build in taps, is easy to clean and reliable too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Choo View Post
    My dollar will be with Eheim for all the reasons you've stated. However I will advise you to get the higher flow rate if possible. Considering the fact that canister filter gets clogged over time, and all the inline equipments that you will install, you will need the higher flow rate. You may get away with lesser flow since you're doing iwugami style, but consider future rescaping needs.

Another way to get around the lack of media trays and double taps is to use a prefilter canister with build in taps like SunSun. This way you just fill the eheim filter full with bio media and let the prefilter handle all mechanical filtering. During maintenance you only need to clean the prefilter with taps which is fast and easy. The main canister can go without cleaning for months. However this will reduce your flow rate which is why many advise you start with a overpowered canister.

Im using Eheim 2071 for my 2ft with the sunsun prefilter with great results. I clean my prefilter every week and only touch my main canister every 3 months (and i believe I can stretch longer since the main canister never gets much buildup). Main canister is filled 100% with bio media, which handles my heavy bioload with ease. I like the eheim pro series for its boxy form factor too, maximizes cabinet space utilization.

http://img01.cp.aliimg.com/imgextra/...!124102275.jpg

this prefilter costs less than $30, has build in taps, is easy to clean and reliable too.
    Thank Ivan,
    Sun sun prefilter would cost $30 only, but getting a higher powered canister would cost much more.

Currently I don't have the budget for it plus I don't plan to have a heavy livestock in my tank.

I am thinking of going for Eheim 2215 with inline CO2 diffuser

For now will go without the double taps, will consider buying later if maintenance is too troublesome.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If you do buy double taps, you can try the China branded ones which are cheaper and quite well built. Eheim don't make double taps like they do filters. I've broke a few eheim double taps before and totally disappointed with them.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sanjaypills55 View Post
    Need to look for a canister filter.
    Have narrowed down to 2.
    This question must have been asked many times , which one is better ?

1) Eheim 350 (2215)
    Lots of positive feedback. Simple design. But doesn't have media trays & need to buy double taps separately.

2) Fluval 306:
    Does have media trays & has Aquastop which should be similar to double taps.

Price wise both are similar considering I need to purchase double taps for eheim.
    Both of those filter models will do the filtration job well for your tank size and setup... just depends on whether you prefer more features or simpler design.

Just to expand your choices, maybe look at other comparable filter models. Pro models like the Eheim Professional/Experience 250 (aka 2224) or the Ecco Pro 300 (aka 2236) are also good choices to consider, since they also retail at the similar price range. Those models already come with inbuilt double taps, convenient media tray baskets and higher flow rates (and the ecco pro has a easy priming feature too).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Did some shopping @Pet Mart

Eheim 350

Double taps, Lily Pipes & Atomiser

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My CO2 Regulator is leaking , given for repair

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

congrats with your purchase!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks fireblade, but I still need to wait for 2-3 weeks for my hairgrass to grow.

Patience patience

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

any update on the tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Not much changes, the old Hairgrass leaves yellow & new green leaves growing...will share pics once it's grows more

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast