Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Do crypts become fully terrestial?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Do crypts become fully terrestial?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

just Checking, would crypts eventually convert to fully terrestial form? Or at least adapt to low humidity environment such that there needs not be a Hood to keep moisture, or the rerquirement for frequent spraying.

currently my crypts in a garden pot are almost totally wilting ever since i remove the plastic wrap that retains moisture. I spray them with water twice daily but i am thinking maybe once a day or even less. The new leaves that do shoot out seem to be shorter and broader than when in more humid conditions though.

jiesheng

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    JS, yes they were, just look like plant farms (example Teo), I think in your case, the crypt wasn't ready. Or removing the hood without having them adapt slowly might be the cause of the problem.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    those concrete pool at teo has actually relatively high humidity, and of course, the crypt has adapted to less humid condition. Note the muddy and moisture, dip your head in for a feel :P

To keep them at home, either put them in a no-wind location or best, put them into a cover tank with a FL, water slightly lower then the pot.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wow, you guys wake up early.

thanks for the replies.

I have conditioned them for about 1 month by adding a plastic coverover the whole pot. Currently it does not recieve direct light but yes it can get drafty there some times.

I am just very lazy that i have to spray and the conventional method does not allow me to utilise the spare pots i have lying around.

Another question, are crypts found naturally inland and away from flooded areas? From what i have read, they are almost indigeneous of swamps and water ways.

jiesheng

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Roland, not for all concrete ponds. Some are quite dry.

JS, why not you wrap the container with a plastic and over a period of time, create more holes to raise the humdity?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Saw some growing in the wild in Kuching. Completely dry but soil is wet. Nearest water is few meter away. They are under forest shade, so humidity is high. This is in the dry season so during wet season they are under water.

Jack

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Roland, not for all concrete ponds. Some are quite dry.

JS, why not you wrap the container with a plastic and over a period of time, create more holes to raise the humdity?
    I use to have a oplastic wrap but it was tedious having to spray through that thing, Plus if i want to look at the crypts it is not convenient too.

Im using the mesh material to act as an overhead cover for it. The new growth is definitely different in that it is broader, shorter and taking a light green tinge.

I hope that it will flower in my life time though

reagrds

jiesheng

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Never seen a flowering crypt before. Are they worth the trouble to convert and wait?
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewtyr
    Never seen a flowering crypt before. Are they worth the trouble to convert and wait?
    Yes, the flower is actually very beautiful, some some in the wild, purple in colour. The flower is one of the confirm way of indentifing a crypt. Go to RVA there are picture of flowering crypt.

Jack