Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How much exactly should I feed my fish?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How much exactly should I feed my fish?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have 6 endlers, 5 shrimps and 1 oto in my 25x25x25 nano tank.

However, 3 of the endlers tend to be up at the surface more than the other 3.

Everytime I attempt to feed, the 3 endlers finishes up most of the food. 2 of the endlers sometimes swim to the top and eat the little that is left but one of them is at the bottom and seldom heads to the top.

I feel like I have fed quite a bit already, but because the food are so small in particles (dr bassleer biofish food), I don't really know how to determine properly.

My fish finishes the food within 1 minute. If there are too much, will they stop eating? Will the fish actually over-eat and be sick?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How much exactly should I feed my fish?

Firstly you need to be careful not to overfeed,overfeeding can lead to obesity and other health problems.6 endlers, 5 shrimps and 1 oto, they should not be fed a lot.A good rule of thumb is to feed no more than the fish will consume completely in less than five minutes.Overfeeding results in the accumulation of waste simply because your fish may not be able to eat all the food and also increased amount of waste produced by your fish by eating more then they really need. In small tanks it is very easy to get the water dirty and harm the fishes,if you you do overfeed remove the uneaten food.I always underfeed my fishes, dont worry too much about the fishes that get less food they will find food eventually. You also can purchase plastic feeding ring that keep most dry food confined to a small area on the water surface and it also prevent most of the food from falling quickly to the bottom of the tank. In my tank i used a glass feeder cup to put food in.

Like this

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

Thanks. I did read this online

A good rule of thumb is to feed no more than the fish will consume completely in less than five minutes.

But 5 minutes seems very long in this case. I'm quite afraid of overfeeding those Endlers that are always at the top snatching for food. I guess I'll just feed lesser just in case. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by rhexis07 View Post
    Hi,

Thanks. I did read this online

A good rule of thumb is to feed no more than the fish will consume completely in less than five minutes.

But 5 minutes seems very long in this case. I'm quite afraid of overfeeding those Endlers that are always at the top snatching for food. I guess I'll just feed lesser just in case. Thanks!

Yes, I'm also facing this problem. My cardinal tetras gobble up the food so fast that within 1 minute some of their stomachs are bulging already. If I were put sufficient food for 5 minutes, their stomachs may just burst. Ha ha...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It is important to cater to all types of fish in the rank, namely top feeders, bottom feeders and middle feeders.
    Thus, a few types of food are in order, namely floating and sinking types. You can judge it yourself as you develope a fixed daily routine.
    Fish are trainable, and feeding itself is an art. Wrong feeding methods will destroy a tank quickly, giving rise to diseases.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    It is important to cater to all types of fish in the rank, namely top feeders, bottom feeders and middle feeders.
    Thus, a few types of food are in order, namely floating and sinking types. You can judge it yourself as you develope a fixed daily routine.
    Fish are trainable, and feeding itself is an art. Wrong feeding methods will destroy a tank quickly, giving rise to diseases.
    Hi.

Thanks. I have 2 types of endlers in the tank. 1 of them is always at the top, while the other 1 is usually mid / bottom.

My food does sink to the bottom, but sometimes the endler swimming at the top finishes up most of the food before it starts to sink.

I can see the stomach of that endler becoming really big. I'm trying to remove it while I feed the fishes. I'm afraid of throwing in too much food at 1 go, but at the same time if I throw too little that endler is just going to finish it up itself.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

maybe try to 'inform' your fishes before feeding by shaking the food container in front of the tank. after awhile, they will recognize u or ur actions and will auto swim up waiting for food.

i also try to sprinkle food all around, and not just 1 area, so other slower swimming fish got chance to eat

can use a small plastic spoon or your fish food bottle cap to 'gauge' and dont directly pour food