Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Sturisoma panamense (regal whiptail)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by akoh
    I tried cucumber yesterday and they luv it !
    Hi 'akoh' (or is that Allen?),
    Whiptails are not strictly herbivorous but omnivorous, and will enjoy an occasional snack of tubifex. My sturisoma likes cucumbers, carrots, melons and lettuce, along with cory tablets and algae wafers.

I like these fishes but not well versed with them. Will appreciate if you can distinguish whether mine are Sturisoma panamense (aka Regal Whiptail) or Sturisoma aureum.

The adult pair which I bought about 3 weeks back, has spawned and I'll be most grateful if you have advice in feeding/caring for newly hatched fry.

Here's a pic of mommy guarding the eggs (while daddy goes for coffee breaks )

I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes ! Allen here ! . Reckon your's is panamensa.
    Congrats ! the eggs takes about 5 to 6 days to hatch.
    The fries are pretty small hence the inlet of your filter system need to be covered ( with layer of wool ).
    At this stage I usually feed them with a mixture of Algae wafer and fresh vege like lettuce or kialan ( just the leaves ). Cheers !
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the response, Allen. I have a couple more questions so that I can fully prepare myself when the fry do hatch.

From your experience and observation, do the newly hatched fry cling onto the walls or lie on gravel. My previous spawn, quite long ago, were not active feeders and stayed mostly on the tank wall, slowly wasting away. Sadly, I was never able to raise their fry to juvenile stage, let alone reach adulthood.

During that time, I made a blend from potatoes, spinach, carrots, vitamins, spirulina, japanese seaweed and cory tablets, but only the adults will eat. Fry don't seem to realize that it is food The spirulina/agar agar combo didn't work for me either.

The sturisoma's present home is 24x18x18in and perhaps that's alot of space to seach for food. Have you, or anyone else, tried rolling off the eggs and transferring them to a separate smaller hatchery? I know it works with corys but read online that the male "appeared to help the process by chewing vigorously at the egg's outer membrane". I have not seen this personally, so I can't confirm what was written. How about you?

BTW, are there distinct differences between panamense and aureum?
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi there, hope i am able to reply this for Allen..

most of the time the fries will stay close to any area that is "comfortable". And most of teh time they will not move around much to look for food. they will strat to get their feeds from the egg sac that they hatch from. How i feed my fries to grow will be to introdue them to "kailan" leaves. this has been a very effective way to "help" them grow. Place the leaves as close to them as possible. So far many batches of my fries have grown up and some are 3 to 4 inch big already. I usually avoid using potatoes, spinach, carrots, vitamins, spirulina, japanese seaweed and cory tablets( that u have indicated). Yes usually the adults will be the ones who will eat them. Fry don't seem to realize that it is food. start the fries of with leaves

What i do is to siphon them ( the eggs) into a smaller tank by itself seperately or use a hatching tank/net in the main tank. Hope my answers and input are of help.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks, "jja" (how can I address you?). Any suggestions that can help see the fry through to juvenile stage, is always welcomed (even if it takes me some time to digest the info).

I'm puzzled why kailan leaves is preferred over spinach, when both are also green. I prefer to blanch the greens, if served whole but raw if blended. By blanching, it's either a quick dip in boiling water or microwave for a minute or two. This helps to break down the fibres and presumably, easier for the fish to rasp and digest.

Is there any particular reason why you'd avoid what I'm using? Cloudy water, blended food breaking up too easily? If fed sparingly, I don't have problems with either issue. What do you feed your adults with? Can't be only kailan, right?

If the eggs are removed for separate hatching, do the fry have any problem breaking free from the chorion (egg shell/membrane)?
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Thanks for the response, Allen. I have a couple more questions so that I can fully prepare myself when the fry do hatch.

From your experience and observation, do the newly hatched fry cling onto the walls or lie on gravel. My previous spawn, quite long ago, were not active feeders and stayed mostly on the tank wall, slowly wasting away. Sadly, I was never able to raise their fry to juvenile stage, let alone reach adulthood.

During that time, I made a blend from potatoes, spinach, carrots, vitamins, spirulina, japanese seaweed and cory tablets, but only the adults will eat. Fry don't seem to realize that it is food The spirulina/agar agar combo didn't work for me either.

The sturisoma's present home is 24x18x18in and perhaps that's alot of space to seach for food. Have you, or anyone else, tried rolling off the eggs and transferring them to a separate smaller hatchery? I know it works with corys but read online that the male "appeared to help the process by chewing vigorously at the egg's outer membrane". I have not seen this personally, so I can't confirm what was written. How about you?

BTW, are there distinct differences between panamense and aureum?
    Hi Ron,

The distinct difference between Panamensa and Aureum are
    - Size : Panamensa max. is 9 to 10 " and Aureum max is 6 to 7".
    - Shape or profile : from the plan view, Panamensa are broader and Aureum are slender.

Based on my observation, the newly hatched fries don't stay at one location ! they are " all over the shop " .

As mentioned in my earlier posting, I have very good result with kailan, the fresh kailan leaf ( are harder as compare to spinach or lettuce ) stay intact for a good couple of days without soiling the water !, reckon a blanched or boiled vege will breakdown easily and will mess up the tank ! . Moreover fresh vege ( being hard ) helps the fries to develop stronger teeth ! . Remember ! in their natural habitat, what they feed on are fresh algae, fallen leaves, fruits etc So ! don't spoil them by giving them all the " blended food " . As for the adults, Hikari algae wafer is all you need ! don't need to go thru' all that hassle ! coz' a single algae disc contain > 20% of protein ! very good ! .

My adults usually laid the eggs on a pvc tubing ( facing the on-coming current from a Powerhead ) and daddy as usual will fan and CLEAN ( probably mistaken for vigorous chewing ) the eggs !. On the fifth or sixth day ( just before hatching ) I'll transfer the eggs ( still intact on the pvc tubing ) to a 2 footer ( have to ensure the water parameter is same as the parent's tank ). Once hatched, I'll cover the filtering system and powerhead inlet ! if not, the fries sure kenna suck into the cannister ! . Cheers !
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ron.. u can call me alex. and Allen has answered the queries u asked me so i guess no need for me to reply kekekeke .. cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Allen & Allex,
    Thanks for the details but here's one more Let's see if anyone can figured out what happened.

2 days ago, I transferred some eggs to a separate hatchery so that I can closely observe the embryol development. As far as I could tell, all eggs were viable.

Today, while taking closeup pictures of the 6 day old eggs, I'm puzzled to see this....

... any ideas??

This same spawn is also being discussed at my little corner
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Whats wrong with those images?? they look okay to me...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Picture-wise, there's nothing wrong but I did forget to add that most of my images are 'clickable', ie. click for larger resolution.

From the big picture, you can see that there are 2 dead fry and 1 still-birth, presumably premature. (ok, the last one is harder to tell from just a picture)

I just check the hatchery and guess what?
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Picture-wise, there's nothing wrong but I did forget to add that most of my images are 'clickable', ie. click for larger resolution.

From the big picture, you can see that there are 2 dead fry and 1 still-birth, presumably premature. (ok, the last one is harder to tell from just a picture)

I just check the hatchery and guess what?

ron this is the egg sac yolk that i was telling you about... the fries will get thie rnutrient food from this egg sac for the first few days. death are unavoidable but they still happen.. congrats on the new brrod!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Allen & Allex,
    Thanks for the details but here's one more Let's see if anyone can figured out what happened.

2 days ago, I transferred some eggs to a separate hatchery so that I can closely observe the embryol development. As far as I could tell, all eggs were viable.

Today, while taking closeup pictures of the 6 day old eggs, I'm puzzled to see this....

... any ideas??

This same spawn is also being discussed at my little corner
    THEY HATCHED!!!! CONGRATS PAPA!!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Guys,

I have 2 different clutches of eggs in my comm tank now. I don't think the babies would survive when they hatch in the tank, which is also being occuppied by barbs, cories, otos & apistos. Any advice on when to take out the eggs, and how to do so? Any suggest on the set-up for nursery tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Perpare another fry growing tank - grow it with lot of algae.
    When the eggs are about to hatch, just use a penknife to remove them and transfer to the fry tank.
    (Remember that the water should be the same as that from the main tank.

In this way, i manage to save half the fries each time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    wow! Keep the photos of the fries coming!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No time to take out the first clutch of eggs. No babies in sight, probably all became snacks for the other inhabitants. Have just taken out the second clutch, hopefully some of the fries would survive. Would be interesting to see them grow.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    One these fries get through the 30days point (around 2cm long), they are quite stable already. Till this stage they only can take in algae.

Re: Sturisoma panamense (regal whiptail)

this one of breeder from indonesia, maybe you can send him an email to ask about this panamense https://youtu.be/Ley2HPCW4-I

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345