Country
    Singapore

Red face Help with Rotala Macrandra

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone,
    I have been trying these plants for a few times now. Can anyone help? My problem is the plant's stem keep rotting( Thinning out ). They usually last about a month. The leaves and upper stems were fine but the base stem keep thinning out.

I put them in my 200 litre tank( 3 ft )
    Lighting is 2 x Dennerle Amazon Daylight, 3 ft fluros.(On for 12 hours/day)
    Nutrients is Dennerle E15, V30, A1 & PF 7( according to Dennerle's prescription for dosage)
    Subtrate is 2mm size river gravel, about 3" deep with JBL & Dennerle Dupont mix as fertiliser.

Could I have damage the stems using pincers when planting or because of the fishes? I have some small barbs,(Golden).
    Really appreciate any info thks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by michael lai
    Hi everyone,
    I have been trying these plants for a few times now. Can anyone help? My problem is the plant's stem keep rotting( Thinning out ). They usually last about a month. The leaves and upper stems were fine but the base stem keep thinning out.

Nutrients is Dennerle E15, V30, A1 & PF 7( according to Dennerle's prescription for dosage)
    Subtrate is 2mm size river gravel, about 3" deep with JBL & Dennerle Dupont mix as fertiliser.

Could I have damage the stems using pincers when planting or because of the fishes? I have some small barbs,(Golden).
    I think maybe if you can post some pictures of your tank would be of a help. I doubt the fishes are the cause of it. One of the few possibilities coudl be the light couldn't penetrate to the bottom area of the plants
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Not enough light. I think you have around 72 watts of light. you need maybe double the amount them for them to grow properly.

Jack

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Red face

Thks Wacky & Confuse,

I'm quite poor with computers but will try to post a picture here. Give me a couple of days.

Was thinking with my lighting now, the evaporation rate was quite fast. about 1-2mm daily. If like double of what I have now, would it be too much?

I'm using those light holders that have 2 legs support at both ends of the tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    michael, you can try planting them sparsely and not bunch them together. If the same problem arises, then you might want to look into adding more lights

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Red face

thks Simon,
    For the pointer,actually I have done a little digging thru the net.But I was hoping a local had success with this beautiful plants and maybe enlighten me (because the water quality would be the same.)Got some wonderful specimen from my LFS.What a pity.

Anyway this was my sixth attempt, I think I'll put in another tube and observe.This plant was also part of the reason why I tried the DEnnerle fertiliser regime.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have great success with this plant. Initially mine also melted at the bottom only when I increase my light to 76watt for my 2 feet,then they do well. Maybe you can try to plant them in the middle of your tank(highest light intensity) and see if they also melt at the bottom.

Jack

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by michael lai
    Hi everyone,

Wats your temperature? are u usin a chiller or a fan? if u have a fan then evaporation rate will increase greatly!! My rotala the same thing too but the top is red cause its gettin light and the bottom isnt
    Last edited by ahkarboy; 25th Apr 2005 at 19:05.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I had the same problems too when my tank condition was bad although I have enough light.

Are you facing any algae issues?
    If yes, get the conditions right before playing with the lights.

Regards
    Robin
    i always fighting algae but still got more

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Jack,Arkar & Robin
    For the advise, will keep u guys posted on the next attempt.
    And yes, robin I'm also always fighting algae