Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Shrimp tank help needed ! Urgent

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have a cycled tank for Almost 2 month with 0 ammonia 0nitrite and 5.0 nitrate so I assumed it has fully cycled and I proceed to buy shrimp and put in . That's 5 days ago when I add in my shrimp , however since day before yesterday I did a test and I got 0.25-0.5 ammonia 0.50-1.0 nitrite and 10 nitrate . All my test kit are from api and expire date is 2021/2022 . I did a 50 % water change and the parameters of water is still the same .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Shrimp tank help needed ! Urgent

Get seachem prime. It will nitrify the ammonia. For nitrite it all left with ur bb to do the work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Alright I brought the seachem prime , the prime has some awful smell is this normal? Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes. Its suppose to smell like sulphate or some call it eggy smell.

Its actually used to treat tap water to remove chlorine

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Alright thanks A lot so much !

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The increase in nitrite and ammonia because you add shrimps, that is normal. After doing 50% water change, the parameters should only stabilize after 1 day. I don't think the test kit will immediately show a change unless you do 100% WC. Seachem prime smell like sulphur. It is normal. Just a warning, Seachem Prime only binds Nitrate/Nitrite for 24 hours making it less toxic, after which it will be release back into the water. This 1-2 days lead time is to give plants/ BB a chance to up take them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

supposed to do a water change after adding shrimps into tank?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Most of us do water change first then add fish or shrimp so they have 1 week to get use to the water before the next water change. If ammonia or nitrate >40ppm /nitrite is high, then you need to do water change. Do note that smaller the tank, the more difficult to do water change because no water volume to buffer the parameters. If <15 litres, then likely 5-10% every alternate day, if 100-300 litres, then can just do 30-40% water change, every alternate day, until every thing is back to normal.

Also depends on the density of the plants in the tank, if 1 feet tank with only few stems of Java ferns and little bit of moss, then problem. If 1 feet tank with fast growing stem plants and floaters, then slight increase in ammonia or nitrate is fine.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi I've settle the ammonia issue with seachem stability with the help of my Friend with a seeded sponge filter . But now I am facing another issue . I upgraded my tank to a 1.5ft shrimp only tank with frogbits 2 x moss ball from c328 and 3x nana plant and 2 small pcs of Indian almond leaves. My gh is 5drops and kh is 6 . But tested my tap water without adding anything I got 2-3 drops . What's going wrong here .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Gh = general hardness.
    May leaked from the stone/rock/wood that comes with the nana.

What filter media you are using may alter this as well (coral chips, azoo mineral media)

Kh is carbonated hardness
    This is the amount of buffering agent in the water. If u wan to reduce it, increase the water flow or introduce air stone.

There maybe other way but the above is the easiest i find. Boiling tap water helps but the best way is to use rodi water. Peat moss may help to lower kh as well

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For filter media I am using seachem matrix and bio ball plastic in my small 150l/h canister .
    Can those number hurt my shrimp bad ? As I seen others have numbers lower .