Images
    Country
    Singapore

Kh 2 too low?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My Kh is constantly at 2 and pH is low at 6.2 pH. Is this ok or should I increase the Kh?
    Peace & Tranquillity
    My Photos:
    http://www.freewebs.com/cbong/index.htm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's ok if they co-relate to a healthy level of CO2.

As long as the water has a KH above 1, your tank is buffered against wide pH swings due to changes of CO2 levels through the day. If you want to maintain a higher pH, then raise your KH... I would suggest 4 dKH, in that case.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mine's around 1 to 2 dkH for my tank with Aquasoil Africana, so far I haven't experienced stuff like "pH swings". My livestock aren't that sensitive anyway.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This new tank of mine is using peat moss and Seachem flourite. Could this be the cause of low Kh?

Btw, if the water is acidic, wouldn't it give a wrong reading for the pH level of the water, and hence doesn't truly reflect the amount of CO2?
    Peace & Tranquillity
    My Photos:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by cbong
    This new tank of mine is using peat moss and Seachem flourite. Could this be the cause of low Kh?

Btw, if the water is acidic, wouldn't it give a wrong reading for the pH level of the water, and hence doesn't truly reflect the amount of CO2?
    Yes, you are right but there is still way to measure the CO2 level. As long as you know what is your pH without CO2 then any drop in pH will be cause by CO2 and from there you can estimate the CO2 amount in your tank.

Jack

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by cbong

Yes, but the flourite does increase the KH due to some coral chips present. It sort of evens out each other ime.

Maybe so but you can get around the issue by adding slightly more based on plant/critter responses if something does not seem right (presence of BBA and etc.). The key is the ability of your CO2 system to keep the CO2 level stable during the photoperiod and within a short period.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by confusekid
    Yes, you are right but there is still way to measure the CO2 level. As long as you know what is your pH without CO2 then any drop in pH will be cause by CO2 and from there you can estimate the CO2 amount in your tank.

Jack

Tested the pH before photo period, turned out to be 6.4 pH. 2 hours into injecting the CO2, the pH dropped to 6.2pH. Is this ok?
    Peace & Tranquillity
    My Photos:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re

bro.. u having problems with flourite ahz... i'm having troubles too... KH keep staying at 1 after adding baking soda... worse still.. i using ADA amazonia soil... PH like at 4.5 now.... i have peat moss in my filter but doesn't seem to buffer that well... luckily move all my lifestock out to temporary tank otherwise sure die after all the buffering solution i add to my tank.... =)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    All my livestocks are fine. Except that my yamatos are not as active as before.
    Peace & Tranquillity
    My Photos: