Hi all u gurus out there,
    hope u guys can help on this problem!
    the readings i've taken from my planted aquarium (in mg/l):
    NH4 : abt 0-0.25
    NO2 : 0.05
    FE : 0.1
    PO4 : 2[]
    NO3 : no test kit
    the readings seem to be ok for most except phosphate. according to the literature, 0.5 is considered to be normal. is mine exceptionally high or just border line high? i've read that high PO4 is a sure fire way to encourage algae growth, i'm concerned that whether this will bring about an algae outbreak! my yamatos all went crazy & jumped from the tank, could this be caused by the high PO4 level as NH4 is acceptable? the malayans are ok though. btw, does any one knows whether aqumedi KH UP contains any PO4? if yes any product to recommend that doesn't contain any?
    thanks in advance for any advice!

[]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    High phosphates can cause BBA growth and some green algae. But should not be the reason for the Yamato to commit suicide.

Phosphates usually comes from 2 sources: fish food and some fertilisers.

In my experience, I added some monster root thing which contain P. It causes my the phosphate in my tank to shoot up to >2mg/l and BBA flourish. Now I control feeding (abt once in 2 days) and up the K level. PO4 is now about 0.5mg/l. BBA growth has stopped.

KH up usually contains only bicarbonates and should not contain any PO4.

If possible, get a NO3 test kit. It really gives you an idea of what is happening in your tank. Remember that N-P-K together with Ca and Mg are the macronutrients for plants. Got to have sufficient of those to keep you plants growing. Dose the trace nutrients too, like Flourish or TMG. Good plant growth usually stunts algae growth.

Usually I test for NO3, PO4, GH and Fe to ensure all are in control. There should be some NO3 and limited PO4. GH tests for Mg and Ca. Fe is an indicator of sufficient trace. And I dose extra K.

BC

Hi BC,
    thanks a lot for your valuable advice!
    if i maitain current feeding & fertilising schedule with no water change & i dose K, will this reduce PO4 level?
    sadly the yamatos're still committing suicide [] , really don't know what to do

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ck,

All I can think of is the water parameters.

Any idea what is the CO2 in your tank pH or KH readings? Have you been dosing anything like Flourish Excel?

How old is your tank?

IMO, you should do weekly or at least fortnightly water change. At least it will help to get rid of what could be forcing your shrimps to jump.

BC