Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: My new plants’ leaves are turning into brown and transparent since Day 4

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My new plants’ leaves are turning into brown and transparent since Day 4

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I was inspired by all the aquascaping’s gurus here and started my project 5 days ago.

I have bought an used 2” tank, hang-on filter and invested in new CO2 system and lights. Bought a few plants including Lobelia Cardinalis, Staurogyne Repens, HM, Pogostemon Erectus etc.

Since yesterday, day 4, I observed some of these plants’ leaves had been turning into brown.

What’s the root cause and what should I do next?

Thanks in advance for the advices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: My new plants’ leaves are turning into brown and transparent since Day 4

This is normal melting. Most aquatic plants are grown emersed (outside water) as it is more cost effective. When we put them in the tank, they need time to adapt; the emersed leaves will slowly die off and new immersed (underwater) growth should appear.

Give it time, even if the plants look like bare stems. You should see immersed growth within 2 weeks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverUpgrading View Post
    This is normal melting. Most aquatic plants are grown emersed (outside water) as it is more cost effective. When we put them in the tank, they need time to adapt; the emersed leaves will slowly die off and new immersed (underwater) growth should appear.

Give it time, even if the plants look like bare stems. You should see immersed growth within 2 weeks.
    @foreverupgrading, appreciate so much for your information.

I have replaced 90% of ‘melted’ Lobelia C. with the new Lobelia last evening. I am still monitoring Pogostemon E. and HM which half of them are not looking good (brown). So, with your enlightenment, I’ll temporarily hold and keep a close eyes on these plants.

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ccw.first View Post
    @foreverupgrading, appreciate so much for your information.

I have replaced 90% of ‘melted’ Lobelia C. with the new Lobelia last evening. I am still monitoring Pogostemon E. and HM which half of them are not looking good (brown). So, with your enlightenment, I’ll temporarily hold and keep a close eyes on these plants.

Thank you.

How are they doing now?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I have bad experience with those tissue cultures, most of them melted away and never grow back

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Muhd Hakim View Post
    How are they doing now?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    So far my Lobelia C. are growing well but unfortunately for HM which I had removed them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by o2bubble View Post
    I have bad experience with those tissue cultures, most of them melted away and never grow back
    Yes, you’re right. It seems the tissue cultured plants are more challenging than others in terms of surviving.

What is other gurus’ view? Why people still prefer to opt for relatively expensive tissue cultured plants than the grown plants?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Most of the time I prefer tissue cultured plants due to the wider variety and
    my perception that it holds no pests.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Had the same issue with my hair grass. It’s turning slightly brown on the 5th day dry start. Any advice would be most appreciated!