Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feral Plecostomus sp.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Caught 3 juveniles at Chinese Garden, can anyone help ID them ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Feral Plecostomus sp.

The first one I caught was an accidental catch while netting shrimps then I realised there were a few more pieces nearby. Also caught and released 2 pygmy halfbeaks.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Probably juvenile Pterygoplichthys - the species recorded in Singapore are Pterygoplichthys pardalis, P. multiradiatus, P. joselimaianus, and P. disjunctivus.
    Small is beautiful.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ohh I see, thanks a lot May I know which report/article can this info be found in?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Two papers:

Identification of sailfin catfishes (Teleostei: Loricariidae) in Southeastern Asia - confirms that Pterygoplichthys pardalis and P. disjunctivus are present in Singapore.

An Annotated Checklist of the Non-Native Freshwater Fish Species in the Reservoirs of Singapore - adds P. joselimaianus to the list.

P. multiradiatus is listed as being present in Singapore in the Global Invasive Species Database, but I cannot find any locally published references. It's possible that this is an error, but in any case, this species is recorded in other Asian countries, so it's entirely possible that it's also present as an introduced species in Singapore.

Do also note that this paper: Identification of Exotic Sailfin Catfish Species (Pterygoplichthys, Loricariidae) in Taiwan Based on Morphology and mtDNA Sequences, which mentions the possibility that non-native populations of P. pardalis and P. disjunctivus in Taiwan may be hybridising, which could also be the case in Singapore.
    Small is beautiful.