Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hobby dying?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Is the fishkeeping hobby in SG dying off?Our forums seem quiet and even the SG ASAP group which has shifted is rather quiet too.Does anyone know why?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hobby dying?

Fish keeping is actually growing in Singapore, driven by the aquascaping, vivarium and terrarium trend. One of the fish store owner told me that despite the growing aquarium interest, people don't really talk and discuss about their aquariums online anymore like the old days (as you can tell from the numerous old forum posts). He said that maybe the purpose of fish keeping currently was to rekindle with nature, ween off the internet and just relax. That's why nobody is online. When he asked customers whether they are in some online community, most of them said they are not in one.
    I kind of agree with his view. Additionally, I get most of my information from google. There is so much free information available that there is very little need to ask anything on the forum. I also uses reddit for general questions and pretty much only use this forum for local stuff (like where to buy malawa shrimps ) Now imagine a small country with a percentage of locals hobbyists (Even smaller) spilt across multiple social media platforms...
    Fish stores that don't follow the trend closes will get replace; it just how business work. eg. My local wet market fish store (Not even google-able) which is super old will probably close too...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I see.Im mainly active on ukaps.I dont really trust reddit a lot of Bs honestly.However it is worrying because growing interest should mean more online activity either asking ques getting feedback or showing off tanks because every tank and problem is unique.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Perhaps its because most of the people already know what they want to know?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

This question has already been answered.

SG Bearded Aquarist did a vid on this 2 months back.

I've known Mr Yap and Ken for some time and share their views on this hobby. I feel their opinions and views are more realistic. Quotes like "Don't expect to make a lot of money from this business" & "hobbies comes and go" clearly shows the downward decline in this hobby from recent years.

I've also know Jason but did observed he didn't comment on the direction and the future prospect of this hobby. That would have been good, because That Aquarium, C328 and Toh aquarium are technically 1 big family business.

My take away is simple, just ask any of the millennial age group and whether what % of them are in this hobby. I believe that number is super low. Kenny did say that young hobbyist are distracted. They spend more time on their phones, gaming and social media. Playing Fortnight definitely beats water change anytime. Don't even mention tank maintenance.

There is also this delusion that this business is growing. Not to say it isn't true in some aspect, but when you run a business, how can you possible say your business is going to close shop soon?

As to the low viewership on AQ and on SG ASAP, well, that's not new either. You are aware that SG ASAP is nothing more than a daily advertisement of post from Alan Chow and a place for buyers/seller to unload stuff. There is no real discussions of any sorts.
    Last edited by torque6; 28th Nov 2019 at 11:44.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    This question has already been answered.

SG Bearded Aquarist did a vid on this 2 months back.

I've known Mr Yap and Ken for some time and share their views on this hobby. I feel their opinions and views are more realistic. Quotes like "Don't expect to make a lot of money from this business" & "hobbies comes and go" clearly shows the downward decline in this hobby from recent years.

I've also know Jason but did observed he didn't comment on the direction and the future prospect of this hobby. That would have been good, because That Aquarium, C328 and Toh aquarium are technically 1 big family business.

My take away is simple, just ask any of the millennial age group and whether what % of them are in this hobby. I believe that number is super low. Kenny did say that young hobbyist are distracted. They spend more time on their phones, gaming and social media. Playing Fortnight definitely beats water change anytime. Don't even mention tank maintenance.

There is also this delusion that this business is growing. Not to say it isn't true in some aspect, but when you run a business, how can you possible say your business is going to close shop soon?

As to the low viewership on AQ and on SG ASAP, well, that's not new either. You are aware that SG ASAP is nothing more than a daily advertisement of post from Alan Chow and a place for buyers/seller to unload stuff. There is no real discussions of any sorts.
    Thanks a lot!Just as i had suspected.Sigh qianhu shuttle bus last time 15 mins now 1 hour variety good but quite ex.Even the SG ASAP aquarium stuff sales also much less it was much more active on fb.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Is the fishkeeping hobby in SG dying off?Our forums seem quiet and even the SG ASAP group which has shifted is rather quiet too.Does anyone know why?
    SG ASAP fb group went into decline after some members quarreling?

i rem got some saga there some time ago

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Please ignore that groofds fella. Place him on your block/ignore list.

As for the hobby, yes there is a slowdown. Lesser people at the stores but those popular ones will survive. Fun part is some people I know and myself included are already setting up new racks or have done so.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.