Country
    Singapore

AR mini issues

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all!

My AR mini has been plagued by these holes appearing since the start. I have some Amano shrimp that has been nipping at them, probably because they're unhealthy parts of the plant, or so I thought. I'm also dosing Tropica premium ferts at 1/2 strength as I thought it was some nutrition deficiency. Some other AR mini leaves came out translucent, as in they grow out translucent and stayed that way.

What's wrong?

I'm also currently dosing excel.

Water parameters

PH - 6 to 5.8 after co2 injection, about 0.8 to 1ph drop

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 5

Water temp - 29 - 31 in the day?

Thanks in advance for any advice or scoldings

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: AR mini issues

Plant deficiency . Good read to understand and remedy your issue.

Problem arise if an element imbalance and suppress the uptake of another.

Plant uptake elements of the various element in ratios. And example is Ca:K:Mg. Based on many written scientific experiments I've read, it's about 2:1:0.5.

So if your Potassium is eg. 30ppm, but your Magnesium is only 0.5ppm, only 1ppm of Potassium and 2ppm of Ca is absorb. The remaining Ca and K will be taken by algae.

Though I mentioned the ratio as an example, different plant species may have varying rate of absorption. So take the ratio as a reference.

In your case, with wrapping your head around this scientific mambo jambo, just do a "reset" by doing large water changes to bring back all elements back in balance.

Another go read.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks greenie!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

No problem Jetxx.

Anyway, due to this, I prefer to dose each macro and micro nutrients separately.

Of course more work, but once I find the balance, I have less issues. Not saying all-in-one ferts are not good. Just that plants compete for different nutrients at a different rate based on many factors, so each individual element depletes at different rates. Some may end up being less utilise and end up accumulating in the tank.

Food for thought.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

So without testing, I dose and see how the tank reacts then adjust, and dose another and rinse and repeat for all the nutrients?

I'm not sure if its maganese deficiency, only AR mini has holes. The rest are all growing well. Even my nana's I'm seeing a lot of new growth, no yellowing no spots and no holes.

Or maybe it's my AR mini not absorbing fast enough?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Different plant species have different needs. Your AR mini may show deficiency earlier than other plant species.

An example is bucephalandra and HC "cuba", Bucep plant may start pearling but HC still grow upwards instead of creeping sideways due to insufficient CO2 for it but sufficient for bucep.

And yes, dose and observe, monitor new leaves and outbreak of algae.